WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Coolest names: Met a couple from Chekoslavkia in 95'. Chekmates! 96' Nexmo (couldn't wait till next motel)
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Balls Deep was doing a 2-month section starting at Katahdin last year. He was navigationally challenged, so when he got to a reroute where some bog bridges had been submerged, he didn't dare try to follow the reroute because he would undoubtedly get lost. He thought to himself, "How deep could the mud be?"

When he was telling this story to the group, Grazer said, "That's your new trail name." And so it was.

He did find later that what is funny to a group of adults sitting around a campfire is pretty inappropriate when introducing oneself to a family with children.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Balls Deep comes under cool names
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    How about Beater?
    The first time I saw him he was sitting in the sunny afternoon shade of the tree at Shaws in Monson. The Dude and I sat to chat with him.
    He was named after his t-shirt. . . aaaaand his t-shirt is named after something and after a few minutes I was just plane scared of him.
    I believe he's about done if not or very close to Springer. Any updates?
    Peace, Beater - PM me for proper congrats Dude.
    He was at hikerhostel near woody gap back on 3/02. I assume he finished the trail w/in a day or 2 after that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    Balls Deep comes under cool names
    Yeah, it did kind of summarize his approach to life.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

Default trail names

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    I've heard quite a few lately. Anyone care to add to the list?

"Pisses-In-Wind"

"Sir Farts-A-Lot"

see ya'll out there Apr 25-May 6
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

I know of a a couple of trail names people were saddled with but hated. "Diamond Doug" carried a note pad and left notes all along the trail. A log crossing the trail at pack level would have the note "duck", and anytime he saw anything intresting he left a note for those behind them. He soon became known as "Diamond Doug, The Litter Bug". I really liked the guy and his notes but it was littering. A father and son team argued and fought their way up the trail. While they went by one set of trail names all the hikers refered to them as "Archie and Meathead", Once Meathead left the trail the father got his trail name back and still uses it today.
    Don't eat the yellow snow. O

Quote Originally Posted by moxie View Post
    A log crossing the trail at pack level would have the note "duck"....
    I remember one hike where that note would have been useful. My hiking buddy just about got a concussion. I was about 20 feet behind him and noticed the log and managed to shout a warning but the sounds left my mouth about two milliseconds before the loud thunk of his forehead against the log. Ouch. He was hurtin'.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=totally Boagus;343805]in 03 there was a young couple that whent by Snotrocket and Dingleberry.

=====================================

Summitted with a hiker named SnotRocket in 2003 (October 9th). He wore ONLY a black jock strap during his summit ...a sight not soon forgotten.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Sorry guys, but these are all for the most part pretty original and cool, to me stupid names are ones such as Gandalf, Hobbit, Frodo, Strider, anything with the word Turtle or Hobo in it. If you can say you have met several people with the same trail name.....then it's a stupid trailname. If they have to identify themselves as Turtle '05 because there are 4 or 5 Turtles every year.

Names like Monkeybutt, Balls Deep, etc. are cool because they stories associated with the naming is funny and they are original!!!

Best name I have read about so far this year is Golden Shower, if I remember correctly, he either was pee'd on or his sleeping bag was pee'd on by another drunken hiker.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Journal Entries

I always thought "Weary" was a terrible trail name. I inherited it from a 9-year-old grandson who walked 280 miles with me in Maine one August. He asked every through hiker he met to give him a name. One finally suggested "Weary Wanderer." Since he had trouble writing, I took to signing the registers as "The Weary Wanderers."

Two years later on the summit of Springer I made the mistake of using the same name -- which quickly got shortened to Weary.

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    Best name I have read about so far this year is Golden Shower, if I remember correctly, he either was pee'd on or his sleeping bag was pee'd on by another drunken hiker.
    That happened to someone else!!?!?!

I was on the lower platform at Gooch Mtn. shelter and a dude in the upper platform tipped over his pee bottle in the middle of the night. He never appologized.

Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Loser was actually one of my favorite trail names, so bad it was good. Never met the guy but read his register entries for a few months. He always signed like chapter and verse, like "Loser 3:16" in the registers.
    Thats one name I gave out!

Still proud of that one...second night out for all of us, he had lost his spoon and his hiking buddy witin the same day, and some other stuff too I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Thats one name I gave out!

Still proud of that one...second night out for all of us, he had lost his spoon and his hiking buddy witin the same day, and some other stuff too I think...
    So then by default, anyone who tosses out stuff they think they don't need along the first stretch of the trail should aptly be named a "tosser."

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    So then by default, anyone who tosses out stuff they think they don't need along the first stretch of the trail should aptly be named a "tosser."
    Or LitterBug.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    That happened to someone else!!?!?!

I was on the lower platform at Gooch Mtn. shelter and a dude in the upper platform tipped over his pee bottle in the middle of the night. He never appologized.

I would have beat the krap out of him, get out of the shelter and pee! That's not an accident, that's being selfish and careless!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Balls Deep was doing a 2-month section starting at Katahdin last year. He was navigationally challenged, so when he got to a reroute where some bog bridges had been submerged, he didn't dare try to follow the reroute because he would undoubtedly get lost. He thought to himself, "How deep could the mud be?"

When he was telling this story to the group, Grazer said, "That's your new trail name." And so it was.

He did find later that what is funny to a group of adults sitting around a campfire is pretty inappropriate when introducing oneself to a family with children.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    I remeber this reroute... I too did not dare follow, so I took the white blazes through the bog.. hahaha Balls deep.....exactly.. It was the sinking logs that got me.. Its all good though, I had fun, and got no leeches..
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Beatle Bailey 1982 GA-ME thru-hike atbeatle's Avatar
    Images

I dont know if this will qualify, but my nickname was Beatle Bailey, originally given because 'you looked like Beatle Bailey', but later explained it was given because I was the laziest guy to thru-hike the AT

Did some fishing with a guy who called himself 'poo maker' once /shrug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    He was at hikerhostel near woody gap back on 3/02. I assume he finished the trail w/in a day or 2 after that.
    I stayed at Hawk Mountain shelter with him on 3/5 (I think). I'm sure he's done and home now. Very nice guy, and gave me some of the best advice I've ever heard.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++