Default First Time Female Backpacker

Ladies,
    Please forgive me for intruding into your forum, but I need advice. My sweetie has agreed to go on her first backpacking trip and I want to make it the trip of a lifetime. She has car camped dozens of times and day hiked many miles but just never backpacked.

I have a scenic trail picked out to a spot beside a great creek. There are great spots for a tent and I'm planning to cook a nice dinner. She has a well-fitted pack and broken in hiking shoes.

What suggestions can you offer that a man will not think of?

Section by Section
    Images

Earplugs!!!
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

Thigns I know my wife would love...
    ...an extra pillow
    ...some massage oil (not scented if in bear country)
    ...secretly pack in carrot cake and a small bottle of wine.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Is she a first time hiker? How old and how in shape is she? Maybe for a first hike make it an easy to moderate hike, and keep the miles low. I agree with the person that said to supply earplugs if you're a snorer.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Make the space for a nice thick pad to sleep on. She'll enjoy the whole thing more if she can sleep well.

What a thoughtful man you are! My suggestion - purchase plastic wine glasses and take along a bottle of wine. The glasses make a nice presentation. Also, a little cheese (good quality) and crackers. Chocolate, definitely chocolate. In the morning make the coffee or tea.

That was my husband and me 10 years ago! It's not so much what you bring...it's making sure that she knows it's ok to say she's tired, needs a break, the packs too heavy, etc. I've seen way too many first time, especially women, backpackers not want to be the "weak link" and cause harm to themselves by not saying "I need ______." I know I didn't the first time we went out on a backpacking trip, and I could've had a much more enjoyable trip if I had.

Thanks. All ideas are appreciated.

I have a short hike in planned. There will be plenty of time for "scenery" breaks; right now I'm scheduling one mile per hour over a flat ridge top trail. I'll let her use my "base camp" Thermarest self-inflating pad (but I'll carry it in). I'm exploring ways to keep the wine, chocolate, and cheese cool.

I agree with Buggirl...I too have been a day hiker and camper for most of my life, but have still not "backpacked". When I am out with my guy friends, I worry about being the "weak link" and do not want them to think less of me if I have trouble keeping up, or struggle up a steep part of the trail. Stay close, but don't get in her way as she hikes with you. Remember to tell her she is "doing fine," and later praise her effort as you pour out a glass of wine...she will love it.

Images

bring red wine doesn't have to be chilled.....
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Stumbling along a path to a trail I'll never find

Quote Originally Posted by LeeF View Post
    Thanks. All ideas are appreciated.

I have a short hike in planned. There will be plenty of time for "scenery" breaks; right now I'm scheduling one mile per hour over a flat ridge top trail. I'll let her use my "base camp" Thermarest self-inflating pad (but I'll carry it in). I'm exploring ways to keep the wine, chocolate, and cheese cool.
    Not one of the ladies here but it seems to me you have a potential lifelong hiking partner. Personally I wouldn't do too much babying but likewise I'd give her praise for all she does and especially if she overcomes some obstacles in her hike. She'll either like hiking or she won't and I'm not sure making the hike something it is not will play out well later.
    On the other hand after a good hike I'd really like a chilled glass of wine myself. Put the wine in her pack and it could be a deal maker.
    Kiyu
    "Experience - that thing you only get immediately after you needed it."

Images

If she walks more slowly than you do, let her walk in front and set the pace. And don't step on her heels or act impatient...

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Take along a book on constellations, poetry or some other book that might interest you both, something you can look at over candlelight or w/ a headlamp (in the eve after hike). Would be a goodtime to connect with each other, especially if you have kids. Me and my husband like to read to each other at night, might sound corny to other folks but it's perfect for some quality time together. Especially fun with the wine and cheese.

I second the whole letting her hike in front and set the pace.

I hated hiking with my ex cause he'd take long quick strides that made me have to hustle to keep up cause I have shorter legs. Hiking with him wasn't fun at all at one point I made him stop and get behind me cause I wanted to take in the surrounding more and not be running the whole time to keep up with him.

++ New Posts ++