WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gogators View Post
    Mr. Big Bad "ex Junkie" must have learned the 13th step: You are judge, jury, and executioner. Go beat up anyone who has another viewpoint. I don't know why you are suprised at the open mindedness of people on this sight. Hikers come from all walks of life and are usually laid back respectful people. We might be liberal, but its a good thing for you. We even tolerate your obnoxious bully ass. Almost all hikers who smoke have the good sense to abstain or take a walk if children are present. Can't say the same for most drinkers in hostels and shelters. I know you have your demons, but get over it and realize that unless someone threatens you or your children's well being, you should move on and report them. But pick a fight in front of your kids. Dude, you're an idiot. Maybe you need something to chill out. LOL
    Ok, Ok. Take the medicine you're selling, and let it all cool off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brrrb Oregon View Post
    Ok, Ok. Take the medicine you're selling, and let it all cool off.
    Agreed but if we let it cool off what are us cyber blazers to do? I've still got tomorrow and all next week to work. Then I get to hang up my keyboard and mouse and throw on my pack. Until then I enjoy a little cyber scuffle.

Down with all stoners. You suck.

Now let's get high.

"Protect your kids from violence and dope by killing your neighbor." I think Jesus said that.

Whatever, Bong Hits for JC.

Don't worry brrrb he was a troll.

The self-hating also deplore nature's finest gifts. And thus, abuse and misuse them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Schulo View Post
    Well smokey I am very convincing when it comes to my kids. And it helps that law inforcement is miles away most of the time, usually brute force is not necessary but when it come to protecting my children, if required can be used.
    Yes, that is an excellent way to teach children that some things are socially unacceptable, i.e., to let them know that when they disagree with how others behave, they should engage in confrontations that will, at their option, escalate into fighting. Yes, I see that now. It makes perfect sense. I hope you are just as good a parent when they, too, misbehave, so that when they fail to behave properly fast enough, you beat them, too. These are lessons that children need, I'm sure you agree.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
    So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

Beat...your children well...

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
    So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

Beat...your children well...
    Great song. I guess I had the lyrics wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Yes, that is an excellent way to teach children that some things are socially unacceptable, i.e., to let them know that when they disagree with how others behave, they should engage in confrontations that will, at their option, escalate into fighting. Yes, I see that now. It makes perfect sense. I hope you are just as good a parent when they, too, misbehave, so that when they fail to behave properly fast enough, you beat them, too. These are lessons that children need, I'm sure you agree.

The Weasel
    This is the second time in nearly 3 months that I've agreed wth The Weasel. I'm sceared. Someone help me.

I guess he's gone but I know one recovery slogan "LIVE AND LET LIVE'' dosn't seem that our friend knows that one.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Schulo, I've been in recovery for 22 years. The principles of the 12-step programs emphasize personal responsibility. They are not a license to force your will on others. The serenity prayer is a central theme and illustrates the idea: Accept the things you can't change, change the things you can....

You cannot change other people. You might be able to overpower them and force them to move on, but if you feel so strongly that your children do not need to be exposed to any drug use, I suggest you work your program and take personal responsibility for your children. Plan to camp away from shelters, home-school your children, never allow them any unsupervised contact with other children or families, never allow them to watch unsupervised TV, screen everything they read, never let them surf the Net unsupervised -- and screen your recovering friends as relapses do happen.

In case you haven't figured this out by now, I'm saying drug and alcohol use is a part of our society and you cannot keep your kids from finding out about them. You need to teach your kids that drug and alcohol use can cause great harm and ways to avoid becoming trapped in addiction. Teach your kids HOW now - honesty, open-mindedness and willingness will put them well on their way to avoiding addiction. Simply protecting them from ever seeing drug or alcohol use will not do this - you need to talk with them when they do see it and explain why it is not a good idea and how to deal with it - over and over - just like you have likely already done in teaching them to pick up toys, clean their rooms, etc.

Images

I'm bemused by the idea that the best way to keep kids from doing something is to keep them totally ignorant that this thing exists--alcohol, drugs, sex, bad language, whatever.

My kids were 14, 11, and 7 when we moved to Russia for a three-year stint in a small city. Russia has the highest rate of alcoholism in the world. I'm not sure if we ever left the apartment without seeing someone so drunk they could hardly stand. We saw a young man fall face down in a slush puddle, too drunk to rise. He would have drowned had his friends not dragged him out. We saw a guy on a steep hill in a park, on his knees, peeing, when he lost his balance and rolled down the hill, pee spraying in an arc. We saw a guy weaving along the street, then falling out full length into some concrete forms. What can I say? It was sadder than any "dangers of drink and drugs" movie ever made. Do my kids drink? A little. Do any of them have a problem with it? No. Seeing other people drink and smoke is NOT the source of addiction. Prohibition is not the answer.

BTW, in about six months of staying in shelters, I only had people light up in front of me a few times, and most of the smokers were men about my age who either announced what they were planning to do, or asked first. (I think my gray hair was a natural deterent--as the presence of a child would be.) The joke is that I really don't care.

And the nudity thing? It hasn't been my experience that shelters are teaming with people prancing around in the buff. There is the occasional quick change of clothing in which people are invited to turn their heads the other direction. This is somehow supposed to traumatize a child for life?

As so many have pointed out...always be prepared to tent.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Some good comments above....

Personally I'd avoid the shelters altogether, but as an alternative, I'd find a nice place to pitch NEAR a shelter. That way, you can enjoy the benefits of being by a shelter (i.e. good water, good campsites, picnic table, a fire at night) and your kids would benefit from meeting and seeing other hikers.....while avoiding all the possile downsides. You'd have you own private campsite for some "family time", you wouldn't be kept up at night by other folks, you could break camp in the morning whenever you wished, and you'd miss out on some of the possible negative aspects of commmunal shelter life.

Have a great trip!

Thank you Jack and it is looking like that would be the best thing to do which is why I asked the question to rather cement my thought on this issue. Moreover, wanting to be as courteous to the AT community as we (my Family) can possible be, and show respect when on the trail. Besides, it might be a chance to buy a new tent or a used one, but still new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fonsie View Post
    Well it's kind of stupid to spark up in a shelter, because you never kno if someone is going to pop in that might be a undercover. Just pitch a tent, that way you can roll a fatty in your tent or pack one up. Without someone narcing you out. Just dont do it in high bear populated area. Bears love that smell of fresh smoke, LOL. What I don't like is when you get to a shelter and lay out your pad and unpack. Then bam a troop of boyscouts come around and start messig with your gear wile you sleep. I had alot of problems with scouts trying to cram in the shelter with me. I been at Dalgren campground doing a week long hike and a bunch of parents and scouts would sit on the picnet tables and hold sites for other scouts. Then have the nerce to tell thru hikers to move on. I got woken up at 1 in the morning because the parents and leaders where drinking and where drunk and the scouts where running around F@#%ing with every bodys gear that was on pinic tables of other campers. It was June 2, 2006 this happend, and it was'nt the first time it happend I was hiking back thru to get to my truck at Harpers Ferry and on June 9,2006 there was another troop there and they where just worst than the other one. The sad thing was they were'nt evan hiking they parked at the resterant 1/8 mile from the camp ground.

Fonsie that is the kind of thing I am trying to avoid and want to make sure that I know in advance before going out. I want people to remember me and my family as the exception to the norm. I want my kids to see the communal interaction of a group of people from all walks of life and see another side of the world that I think is one that has life long lessons to learn from. I am sorry if this hit a nerve of the community. Moreover, I guess I can see all side of the talk. I do not condone drugs but have used my self when I was a kid. And am glade that I made the right choose for my self and my family early enough to make a difference. In addition, I have been exposed to violence my whole career (Infantry US ARMY) and with both of those worlds in my baggage I want to show my kids the better things in life. Therefore, the outdoors and the AT are what I am using to do this. Then the family time that we can share together is what I am really in pursuit of, no TV, no cell phone. Striping away all of the things that would get in our way of good communication and a chance to just talk with them. Once again, I did not want to start all of this with so much controversy, I just wanted to make sure we were adhering to the unwritten rules of the Trail.

What I don't like is when you get to a shelter and lay out your pad and unpack. Then bam a troop of boyscouts come around and start messig with your gear wile you sleep. I had alot of problems with scouts trying to cram in the shelter with me.
    I'm not buying this post.

I've seen a *lot* of boy scouts on the trail and I have never -- and I mean never -- seen them use a shelter when on a hiking trip during the spring-summer-fall. They always tent. Always.

I've never seen scouts mess with someone elses gear.

I have seen scouts use shelters during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I'm not buying this post.

I've seen a *lot* of boy scouts on the trail and I have never -- and I mean never -- seen them use a shelter when on a hiking trip during the spring-summer-fall. They always tent. Always.

I've never seen scouts mess with someone elses gear.

I have seen scouts use shelters during the winter.

I know my son had to work on a Leave No Trace badge for the Cub Scouts and they also have one for the Boy Scouts and it is sad if this did happen but it just reinforces my thinking that if you teach your children what right is they will always be able to see what is wrong in situations like the one referred to before. And if that is so then I would hope that with the earlier teaching of, that my kids can talk to me about any thing that after he got back from a trip like that he would tell me immediately and I would have some chose words for the supposed adults on that trip.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    I guess he's gone but I know one recovery slogan "LIVE AND LET LIVE'' dosn't seem that our friend knows that one.
    He obviously never heard about "Easy Does It" either.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Well it's kind of stupid to spark up in a shelter, because you never kno if someone is going to pop in that might be a undercover. Just pitch a tent, that way you can roll a fatty in your tent or pack one up. Without someone narcing you out. Just dont do it in high bear populated area. Bears love that smell of fresh smoke, LOL. What I don't like is when you get to a shelter and lay out your pad and unpack. Then bam a troop of boyscouts come around and start messig with your gear wile you sleep. I had alot of problems with scouts trying to cram in the shelter with me. I been at Dalgren campground doing a week long hike and a bunch of parents and scouts would sit on the picnet tables and hold sites for other scouts. Then have the nerce to tell thru hikers to move on. I got woken up at 1 in the morning because the parents and leaders where drinking and where drunk and the scouts where running around F@#%ing with every bodys gear that was on pinic tables of other campers. It was June 2, 2006 this happend, and it was'nt the first time it happend I was hiking back thru to get to my truck at Harpers Ferry and on June 9,2006 there was another troop there and they where just worst than the other one. The sad thing was they were'nt evan hiking they parked at the resterant 1/8 mile from the camp ground.
    While regulars here know I'm not a big fan of BSA for other reasons, in close to 9,000 miles of hiking/backpacking I have never seen this extreme behavior anywhere in the backcountry from scouts or their leaders. Most have been well enough behaved and their leaders at least competent. A few exceptions, sure, but nothing as bad as you describe. I think your encounters in Maryland were very much an aberration not likely to be repeated often. I'm not surprised these two incidents have soured you on Scouting but haven't you also seen some well-led, considerate troops out there too?

FWIW, Dahlgren's location so close to a road, with its amenities like showers and multiple tentpads/picnic tables, are also kind of an aberration. IMHO there are damned few places like it elsewhere on the AT. For good reason--the location and amenities attract problems. Even the occasaional thief as I hear it. I never stay at Dahlgren tho I once took a shower there...a very nice shelter exists about two miles south with plenty of tenting opportunities away from the shelter structure.
    Last edited by Skyline; 03-23-2007 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by amazing4sg View Post
    Thank you Jack and it is looking like that would be the best thing to do which is why I asked the question to rather cement my thought on this issue. Moreover, wanting to be as courteous to the AT community as we (my Family) can possible be, and show respect when on the trail. Besides, it might be a chance to buy a new tent or a used one, but still new to me.
    With that attitiude, even in the unlikely event that you do encounter such a situation, you will be able to handle it without any problems. Again, as Marta said, kids are a natural deterrant to bad behavior. Believe it or not, most people encounter children regularly on and off the trail and unlike the militant rehab guy, are concious of the fact that we are responsible for setting a good example for them.

Thank you bfitz your words are encouraging and I thank you for them, and agree with you I think most people will respect the fact that kids will be around. And by the sound of it on this issue even if some one was not respectful, the other people would be, and it is that peer pressure that might make every one act a little better. I know 99.9999% of the people are good on the trail and I know that my family and I will have no problems what so ever and even if we do, I know that we will have a lot of support from the others on the trail. As long as we do our part to respect every one else in the same way. I am excited about this move and invigorated at the thought of getting the time to spend out on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by amazing4sg View Post
    I would like to ask the community of some of the things that they observed or they are strongly against as for people bringing kids to the shelters. Has any one ever had a bad experience with this? The reason I ask is I am relocating to Johnson City and selected this position for the access to the trail for me and my family. We would like to spend a lot of time on the trail and break in to some overnighters and I am just concerned for the trail etiquette of this and want to make sure that we do not offend the community or have an impact on it in a negative way. My kids are 7 and 4 and are well mannered I would like to expose them to another side of the world and let them meet all different kinds of people in a good open environment like the outdoors. I am open to advice and opinion no matter what it is. Thank you in advance for any response.
    Well after after reading some of the responses I wonder if you really mean to thank posters for ANY response.
    Any way, enjoying the outdoors has very little to do with hoboing in a shelter, it simply isn't a necessary part of the experience any more than sleeping in an alleyway cardboard box is to enjoying Paris or Rome. Get a pair of reasonably light tents and set up a camp well away from the shelter. when you do pass by the shelter your kids can regard it as a curiousity and be thankful they are enjoying a real "outdoor" experience. If the inhabitants look worthwhile pause and chat, if not move along. It's all fine and good for kids to get a broad based education from meeting different people, but you don't need to get to know Charles Manson to more fully appreciate how unique your slightly crazy Aunt Emma is.
    Another upside to pure camping, the kids can learn to pick a good spot, set up the tents and then most importantly clean up to leave as little trace as possible.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++