WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: duct tape idea

Default duct tape idea

wrap it around hiking pole.

Section by Section
    Images

Or a Nalgene, if'n you carry one.

Default Tent pole repair sleeve

On my hiking pole?? No, I want those as light as possible. Plus they take a beating and are exposed to the elements.

When I used a nalgene bottle, I wrapped duct tape around that. many use a tent pole repair sleeve.

Now, I wrap it around a small nalgene screw top jar (i think 2 oz). Its tall enough for 1/2 width of the roll of tape I used. Probably about 10-15 feet worth. In the container I keep my vaseline soaked cotton balls for starting fires.

Break off a piece of pencil or popsickle stick and wrap the tape around it. Works great for me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Sooner or later you'll all come to realize that the best place to wrap your duct tape is around your travel bottle of Jim Beam.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Sooner or later you'll all come to realize that the best place to wrap your duct tape is around your travel bottle of Jim Beam.
    Wouldn't it be sweet if they sold it like that?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Wouldn't it be sweet if they sold it like that?
    How would I know how much I have left?

You guys are effing up my most reliable resupply indicator.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

It gets dirty and loses it's efficiency on the pole.

Images

I've never done it, but I've heard wrapping it around a straw works well. I have mine on my poles.

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    It gets dirty and loses it's efficiency on the pole.
    Never had that problem.

I wrapped it around poles a couple of ways to help with pole identification when there are about twenty of them leaning up somewhere.....

If you make your own cozy and use duct tape to put it together just wrap a few more turns of tape around the cozy.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

ddn't take it
    didn't need it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    I wrapped it around poles a couple of ways to help with pole identification when there are about twenty of them leaning up somewhere.....
    That was part of my reasoning, too. I'm the only one out there with three stripes of purple duct tape on each pole.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    That was part of my reasoning, too. I'm the only one out there with three stripes of purple duct tape on each pole.
    For a while, I was using day-glo orange tape, also made the poles easier to see at night when used to guy out my hammock's rainfly.

I also put a single layer wrap on my left pole to easily distinguish the two apart. The straps tend to conform to the stress put on them and when I would get them mixed up it was a little uncomfortable. This eliminated the problem.

3.45% done with section hike Tumblerisk's Avatar

I know to some in here it is a sin to carry a trowel for cat hole digging, but I do, and my duct tape is wrapped around it's handle. The trowel always stays close to the top of the bag, so the tape stays handy that way too without being exposed to moisture as much as it would around a pole or bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblerisk View Post
    I know to some in here it is a sin to carry a trowel for cat hole digging, but I do, and my duct tape is wrapped around it's handle. The trowel always stays close to the top of the bag, so the tape stays handy that way too without being exposed to moisture as much as it would around a pole or bottle.
    I'm a sinner with a poop digger.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

I used to carry it around my poles but as mentioned above, it does get screwed up. Now I just carry a small roll (from REI) in my first aid kit.
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

I wrap it on my fuel bottle, never had a problem. By the by..my favorite new trick is wrapping a stick about as thick as my thumb with duct tape on the end 3 or 4 times. makes a great fire starter.

i dont carry tape. but i wanna help. listen. theres lightweight clear repair duct tape made for the materials you carry. its way way way better, stronger and better.and stronger, and lighter, and better. ems has it. comes in a cool cool thingy thats way cool.did i mention its beter in every way? now. about carrying it outside your pack on swinging poles. it takes twice the energy to carry it on your poles. not possable? wrong! your lifting it and swinging it wastes energy compared to if it was in your pack. foot and handweight added, takes twice the energy to move it down the trail. keep your hands free and stuff in your pack . all swinging tied on things waste energy in the same way. carrying trekking poles in your pack is twice as efficent as in your hands. so why do you all do it?youve been sold a bill off goods im affraid.dont answer. please god, nomore pole threads. im sorry.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++