WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

If you thought it was tough from the scout camp...be glad you didn't hike it the other way.... For a 30 mile trail I really like the Art Loeb and it has plenty to offer..especially scenery. Although a good chunk of it is inside a wilderness area and not blazed or signed it is well used enough to be easy to follow. Some people do get confused around Shining Rock as there is a spiderweb of side trails branching out in all directions but a look at the map pretty clearly shows where the trail goes. There is an pretty insane section of elevation change coming down to the parkway...another reason to be glad you didn't have to climb that...but I still don't think it's that bad of a hike...it is rated as strenuous but aren't most trails in the mountains?

Images

I think its a good trial, I'll do it again. I suggest not doing it in 2 days, give it atleast 3 full days and it will be much more enjoyable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    There is an excellent book entitled "Trekking The Southern Appalachians" by Jack Igelman.
    http://www.biggerbooks.com/bk_detail...sbn=0898869668

I had two copies of this book, including a signed copy, and damned if I can't find either of 'em! Drat!

It includes excellent information about the Art Loeb Trail. Anyone interested in the trail might consider picking up Jack's book.

make me the third person that ordered the book. I also picked up a good wildflower book http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qw...*listing*cover
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

All I have to say is my library is bitchin! it has like every trail book...i shall check out Trekking The Southern Appalachians too.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Yeah, I've thought about the 2 vs. 3 day thing, getting lost and running out of water might have also colored my view of it. But I decided to join them on the hike the day before we were to leave, and so I broke one of my rules and didn't have my own map, but I still thought the map sucked. BTW, this was the first time I have ever gotten lost on a trail. That being said I have friends who love the Long Trail and friends who despise it. Some of those who despise it have thru-hiked both the AT and PCT, so they aren't newbies by any sense. I guess as in all things some of us just prefer certain trails to others

BTW, I know many people think Georgia is rough, but I never really felt that way, so just goes to show...aw, maybe I'm just crazy!
    Last edited by Almost There; 12-19-2007 at 20:31.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Sometimes the voices tell me I'm crazy.

I thought Georgia was rough and I've been lost more than once...
    I've taken many a Boy Scout on all or parts of the Art Loeb and some of them didn't make it ...I mean they had to be picked up!
    I often wondered what people from south Florida were expecting when they signed up for a backpacking trip in the mountains and freaked out when they realized they had to walk uphill carrying a backpack. Hiking up Pilot Mountain can play tricks on you even when you've done it before...you think you're at the top....nope...you think you're at the top.....nope.
    That climb seems to go on forever.
    Then there are friends who dayhike the entire Art Loeb for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    I think its a good trial, I'll do it again. I suggest not doing it in 2 days, give it atleast 3 full days and it will be much more enjoyable.
    And take the side trip up Cold Mountain.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    And take the side trip up Cold Mountain.
    Coldest outdoor experience I've ever had. -12 degrees between Christmas and New Years without the 30-40mph winds. Had to be colder than that with the wind chill. We had a blast!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    Coldest outdoor experience I've ever had. -12 degrees between Christmas and New Years without the 30-40mph winds. Had to be colder than that with the wind chill. We had a blast!
    Not for nothing it's named!

Good refuge in August. Christmas ... brrr!
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

and actually, the last time i was up there, maybe in October, there was some blazes added around shining rock (even though it's all wilderness like and not supposed to have any)

Images

Yeah, I'll be honest we got up towards Cold Mountain, looked at the side trail, Little Bear had to bail from being sick and Takoda and I said screw it and kept going. Looking back on it I think we were also in a hurry to meet up with Phreak and that may have led to us getting lost, especially when he told us he was going to meet us at a certain place and so we thought maybe we'll run into him. Later on we realized maybe we wouldn't have gotten lost if we knew he wasn't coming and could have stopped sooner.

Being the size I am I always remember a hike where I run out of water as being a bad hike. 2-3 miles without water is all it takes for my big, bad body to start to feel run down!

Wow, you all are starting to make me reevaluate that hike ....but I still have no desire to hike it again!
    Walking Dead Bear

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    There is an excellent book entitled "Trekking The Southern Appalachians" by Jack Igelman.
    http://www.biggerbooks.com/bk_detail...sbn=0898869668

Mowgli, thanks for recommending this book. Mine came in today. I just browsed thru it and so far it looks like a good book.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Mowgli, thanks for recommending this book. Mine came in today. I just browsed thru it and so far it looks like a good book.

I second that. Mine arrived ? a week ago. I have a good many trail/hiking books for the same area covered and basically all are pretty much the same. This book's different. It's way more detailed, the maps are really good and the treks give all the info I want to know for any given route including other options from the mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post

Being the size I am I always remember a hike where I run out of water as being a bad hike. 2-3 miles without water is all it takes for my big, bad body to start to feel run down!
    Two or three miles without water? My God how did you survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Good deal! I think it belongs on the shelf of any hiker who likes hiking in the SE.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Two or three miles without water? My God how did you survive?

Ha! You're a funny, funny man! Actually, a couple years back I had to go about ten miles w/o it after misreading a map. Kept thinking it had to be coming up. 85 degrees and no water messes me up pretty quick, after ten miles, I finally hit a creek, set up my tent, filled up my bottles and went to bed at 6pm. Couldn't eat, that was probably the worst I have ever been on the trail.

Remember, I am still young and spoiled by my wife, I ain't old and made of leather like yourself!
    Walking Dead Bear

All of my experience with the Art Loeb has been great. I have taken several scout groups up there and have really enjoyed it in all seasons. The only low points were it being dry the first 8 miles out of Davidson River and Pilot mountain seemed like it was a 10 mile climb in itself.

Images

Scenery ! This trail has plenty of that. Water...the maps don't show all sources and anyone doing this trail the first few times wouldn't know exactly where to look-yes, that can be a PITA..The stretch through the Shining Rock Wilderness isn't blazed or signed and there is a spiderweb of trails in places...par for the course in wilderness hiking and part of whatever adventure you make it into.
    -----I wonder if Creepy Uncle will chime in and talk about his joy of dayhiking the entire Art Loeb from Davidson River to Camp Daniel Boone.

Images

I've dayhiked it once. I will never do it again and thats something you bet the farm on.
    Getting lost only makes things more interesting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I've dayhiked it once. I will never do it again and thats something you bet the farm on.
    You day hiked the whole Art Lobe in one day? I agree, I wouldn't want to do that again. But multiday adventures are quite fun up there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++