WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    Talked to hubby tonight. He's planning to drive me back down to Hiawassee the last weekend of this month. April 1st is my restart date, beginning where I left off (I feel a little funny about that, but I guess I haven't been off long enough to need to start over). We'll see how I hold up physically.
    We'll see you out there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    And remember, in the end, it's just walking in the woods.
    I think the Yiddish word schlep captures it nicely.

Images

That vision of sitting at home, looking at most of six month's worth of Mountain House meals kept me going a few times...

Best wishes!

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I'm so glad that you and your hubby could talk and figure out a solution! I knew you two could. Obviousy all here at WB support you and believe in you. Sounds as though your husband supports and believes in you...now it's your turn! The trail is no harder than you make it. Whether it be in life or the AT you have to believe in yourself. We all can type support for you till our fingers bleed but you've got to hike your own hike. Every step will be a new and exciting adventure for you. As long as you take care of your physical needs and your healthy enough to start again it's all up to you! I like to call it, "mind over matter" If you don't, the little stuff don't matter! Start this hike as if it is a new chapter in your life...and when you get back, whether you tru hike or not...well you and and the hubby will have plenty of time to...(insert imagination here!) God speed I'll be keeping up with you thru your journals! Congrats to the hubby!!

What I meant to say was, " if you don't "MIND", The little sfuff won't "MATTER"! Again, God speed!!

you go GIRL!!!!!!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    I think the Yiddish word schlep captures it nicely.
    Indeed. But a very pretty schlep.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

i am praying you get arested and convicted of murdering a dream and are sentenced to walk the AT with your husband as soon as you feel better.
    matthewski

remember to only take one step at a time, good luck

Images

GOOD LUCK-- I'm very happy for you!!

GlazeDog

Talked to hubby tonight. He's planning to drive me back down to Hiawassee the last weekend of this month. April 1st is my restart date, beginning where I left off (I feel a little funny about that, but I guess I haven't been off long enough to need to start over). We'll see how I hold up physically.

Victoria - Victorious Again!!!

You go girl. Among other things I'm looking forward to as I leave Katahdin June 1 is to meet this wonderful person - Victoria. I dreamed the thru hike since high school and finally got on the trail last June.
    This year I know that it isn't the thru that draws me but the trail. I just love being on it. But I do hope to climb Springer in late fall. And to meet you some time along the way.
    And I'm especially happy to see the responses change from down right uncaring rudeness - to nothing but the good energy of people pulling for you. That is what I expect on WhiteBlaze and among the white blazes.
    I am so happy to hear of you getting back to your dream.

Peace,
    Warraghiyagey

Yay! Good luck! Tell me one thing, though. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    On the "pro" side put down "Can gorge self almost to death on cheese every day if I want to."
    Talked to hubby tonight. He's planning to drive me back down to Hiawassee the last weekend of this month. April 1st is my restart date. . .
    I'm guessing you told him about the cheese. Am I right?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Yay! Good luck! Tell me one thing, though. . .

I'm guessing you told him about the cheese. Am I right?
    The cheese was definitely the deciding factor.

You know, I didn't bring any cheese with me in my first two weeks. I actually dreamed about it a couple of times. I'll be bringing a nice big block of sharp cheddar when I start back.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the good wishes and encouragement.

Images

Get those insoles and take care of your feet. Rest often with your boots off. Good luck, I can see you smiling from here.

Kudo's to hubbie.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

If it is Plantar Fasciitis, the good thing is that it only hurts when you get out of bed or if you take too long of a break!!!
    I backpacked for years with it on and off - it is a minor nuisance.

Otherwise, my advice is a little different than others. No sugar coating.
    Get off your ass and get out there and live life. No more self pity. No more thinking about why you couldn't do it, no more worrying about plants, hubby or animals. If you want to do the hike, you'll do it. Think about the positives and what it is going to mean to you.
    But most importantly get off your ass and get moving!!!!!
    Last edited by Toolshed; 03-21-2007 at 13:28.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    If it is Plantar Fasciitis, th egood thing is that it only hurts when you get out of bed or if you take too long of a break!!!
    I backpacked for years with it on and off - it is a minor nuisance.
    I second the above.

when i returned from the PCT01 hike I went to foot dr to ask about a "severe pain in the heel of your foot". It felt like a needle being stuck in the bottom of my foot...

The dr said it was most likely
    Plantar Fasciitis and i should do the achilles heel stretch and that worked for me...do the stretch often , i.e., before u get the severe pain.

On the trail i would suggest that u still have the Vitamin I ready...

Good luck...

Btw, I still suggest u do some dayhikes on the AT near your home before returning to GA, maybe on the w/e, use 2 cars so your husband can join ya and u don't have to retrace your steps. By doing this, u will also be familiar w/ this section when u get to it when u are doing this section-hike portion of your thru hike.

Images

Victoria,
    My pastor told a story a few years ago that I think has some application here, maybe.
    There was a man who was not particulary close to his father. This man's favorite childhood memory was a day that he and his father had gone fishing. His father had kept a diary, and had written in it almost daily. After his father passed away, this man was reading his dad's diary, the only entry made on the day they had gone fishing was:
    "My son and I went fishing today. Did not catch anything. Entire day wasted."

Between now and the middle of October, you will either complete your thru, or you won't. If you take an all or nothing approach, then I'm concerned, that like the dad in the story, you will miss "life" on your way.

Have fun and hyoh. Sieze the moment!

Images

VictoriaM,
    Do you have any problems with my posting of your PM rant here?
    Last edited by Toolshed; 03-21-2007 at 14:18.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Best of luck Victoria.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    VictoriaM,
    Do you have any problems with my posting of your PM rant here?

Go ahead, dearie. By keeping it private I was trying to keep attention off you.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++