WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Not sure, but I think he is suggesting that it might be a bad idea to have your name be the same as a sexual act.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    Do you think your trailname will have any impact on whether or not men "stalk" you on the trail? Seems to me that any name that has the sexual innuendo of "Llama punch" will encourage a like response.
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    Creek Dancer: It hasn't so far, and I don't expect it will. a) I'm not terribly attractive, so I tend not to attract the attention of men.... I think the whole "stalking on the trail" and "pink blazing" thing is blown way out of proportion. Everyone on the trail was very nice and polite to me, men and women both.
    You're right, I do keep the whip at hand. I don't suffer fools gladly, so when someone behaves like a fool towards me, I'm more than happy to let them have it. If you look at all my posts, though, you'll see that I'm very kind to anyone who is kind to me, and even to people who make honest mistakes. It's deliberate rudeness that gets me going. And by "anyone who suggests that you might in any way be causing your own problems" I assume you're refering to the people who think that my pink backpack is a good reason for someone to attack me with violent sexual threats. Feel free to feel that way, and I feel bad for any friend or family member of yours who gets raped or mugged.

At any rate, Toolshed didn't say anything about causing my own problems or the like. What he did was throw profanity at me while implying that caring about my husband and pets is weak and silly. Sorry if you disagree, but it seems to me he needed the lash.
    I never let razzing get to me. I'm itching to go, but my foot just isn't ready yet. We've settled on April 1st, so I'll be going stir-crazy until then!
    Victoria: There is one fool you suffer too gladly: yourself. You equate disagreeing with you or suggesting that you could use some honest criticism rather than unequivocal cheerleading as rudeness.

You DO let razzing get to you, and you started a very long thread which was as long as it was because in it you repeatedly defended your RIGHT to let it get to you. In the "whip" post above, you say as much yourself. What, you don't mind rudeness, as long as someone tries to pass it off as humor? Who are you trying to fool?

You absolutely have met up with rude people on the trail, and you were pretty PO'd when you were told on this forum that the best thing to do was to ignore them. That wasn't advice you liked, so the rest of us didn't understand or just didn't like you or heaven knows what. Whatever the problem is in a social situtation, let it be certain that it is never you. Think about that, why don't you?

It is fine to ask people to either say nice things or keep their mouth shut....if you don't go around asking for their honest opinons. You can't have that cake and eat it, too. Again, do not let yourself fooled. If everyone you hear is only heard because he or she is telling you what you want to hear, you've not looked for honesty. Do you want to know the truth about yourself, or not?

Well, we have one thing in common, you and I: we think we can teach pigs to sing. If I have an ounce of sense, I won't post this, but I bet I will.

Have a nice hike, and good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    I'm not sure what you're suggesting here for VictoriaM? That she not appear in public, ever? That she wear a Taliban-style burqa? I honestly don't follow your logic here, Iceman...
    No doubt. I wouldn't know what a llama punch was if I took one in the face. Some people are way oversensitive about this stuff, icemans panicy post was unnecessarily over the top.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brrrb Oregon View Post
    Victoria: There is one fool you suffer too gladly: yourself. You equate disagreeing with you or suggesting that you could use some honest criticism rather than unequivocal cheerleading as rudeness.
    I took both support and criticism in this thread, as I have in others. It was onyl when it crossed over into profanity that I "lashed out". Being told that if I didn't get "off my ass", treat my husband and pets like garbage, and walk on an injury that would only be made worse by doing so that I'm somehow weak and unmotivated didn't sit well with me, and yes, I do think I had the right to call that poster on his attitude.

You DO let razzing get to you, and you started a very long thread which was as long as it was because in it you repeatedly defended your RIGHT to let it get to you. In the "whip" post above, you say as much yourself. What, you don't mind rudeness, as long as someone tries to pass it off as humor? Who are you trying to fool?
    I don't let razzing get to me. I will speak up when it crosses into abuse, though. And which thread are you refering to? If you mean this one, I posted it for some support in making a really tough decision. If you mean the other one, I posted it to find out whether I'd be seeing more of the same behavior I'd just experienced when I got out on the trail for my thru. There was nothing in that thread asking for suggestions on how to handle it, only asking how much I'd see it. And yes, I certainly do have the right to be offended, or not, as I choose. I think some people are reading offense where there isn't any, though. Tone doesn't come across well online.

You absolutely have met up with rude people on the trail, and you were pretty PO'd when you were told on this forum that the best thing to do was to ignore them. That wasn't advice you liked, so the rest of us didn't understand or just didn't like you or heaven knows what. Whatever the problem is in a social situtation, let it be certain that it is never you. Think about that, why don't you?
    No, I was PO'd because a number of people told me that what I was wearing caused the aggressors to attack me verbally. That kind of "blame the victim" mentality is really alarming. I didn't care one way or the other if they told me to ignore the guys. I had to handle the situation at my own discretion since I was the one in it, and telling me to ignore it was a bit late. At any rate, I'll handle it the way I need to be handled, and ignoring them might be good advice, but wasn't asked for in that thread.

It is fine to ask people to either say nice things or keep their mouth shut....if you don't go around asking for their honest opinons. You can't have that cake and eat it, too. Again, do not let yourself fooled. If everyone you hear is only heard because he or she is telling you what you want to hear, you've not looked for honesty. Do you want to know the truth about yourself, or not?
    I do want honest opinions and always value them, but if you* curse at me and verbally abuse me, expect to take some of what you dished out. This thread only got ugly when the cursing and abuse began. (*that's the collective "you", not you in particular)

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    No doubt. I wouldn't know what a llama punch was if I took one in the face. Some people are way oversensitive about this stuff, icemans panicy post was unnecessarily over the top.
    Uh, bfitz, maybe you ought to go look up what a "donkey punch" is, because VictoriaM and her friends aren't the only ones on the trail who will know it.

Let's just say that I wouldn't go out in on the trail with a name for a sexual act that the Enron traders used to describe what they were doing to power customers.....and I'm not nearly so thin-skinned as VictoriaM is. If she's going to fly under the radar of the purposefully rude, as I think she would rather do, she needs a new name.

Maybe "Victoria" might be nice. Or even "MightyM" or "Barefoot"....anything but a name that might be taken as an invitation to provoke. She's got enough on her plate to deal with.

I do want honest opinions and always value them, but if you* curse at me and verbally abuse me, expect to take some of what you dished out. This thread only got ugly when the cursing and abuse began. (*that's the collective "you", not you in particular)
    Look at him like he's a big-mouthed fool (because he is), but do not dish out what he's dishing out. It is impossible to give the rude "what they deserve" without splashing some of it on yourself.

You cannot teach a pig to sing. You just frustrate yourself and annoy the pig. Life is too short for that kind of stuff.

But, you are right: most of the people you're likely to meet on the trail are wonderful human beings, and a priviledge to know. Have a great trip, and the best wishes to you and those who'll be supporting you at home, the husband and the dogs both. A long and happy life to all of you.

But one thing: if anybody asks you what the trail name means, please just say, "Oh, don't ask. It's a long story. Suffice it to say that it was given in jest by people I like on a day I like to remember, so I'm being a good sport about it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brrrb Oregon View Post
    But one thing: if anybody asks you what the trail name means, please just say, "Oh, don't ask. It's a long story. Suffice it to say that it was given in jest by people I like on a day I like to remember, so I'm being a good sport about it."
    That's basically what I do, which is why I'm not worried. And thanks for the "good luck", I'll probably need it.

That's basically what I do, which is why I'm not worried. And thanks for the "good luck", I'll probably need it.
    Everybody does, every day. It's just that the thruhikers know it!

VictoriaM, it's none of my business, but it's a dumb-ass trail name, and you're crazy to use it. With all your other issues, why bring this one upon yourself?

Just my $0.02.

I used to work with a guy at NYNEX who played in Howard Stern's band which was called Pig Vomit. So, your trailname could be worse - I suppose.

BTW, I'm no prude, but until someone suggested to look it up on the 'net, I hadn't a clue what the trailname meant.

Images

You're going to be hiking with a new group when you restart.

You can get another name if you like.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I would never presume to tell anyone to change their trail name. And there have been some silly ones over the years. FUBAR comes to mind immediately.

But... When I think about Victoria's internet persona and her interests, the name Pugnacious does comes to mind.

And Victoria, I say that with a smile on my face and no malice in my heart.

Images

... Being told that if I didn't get "off my ass", treat my husband and pets like garbage, and walk on an injury that would only be made worse by doing so that I'm somehow weak and unmotivated didn't sit well with me, and yes, I do think I had the right to call that poster on his attitude.....
    Where did I tell you to treat your pets and husband like garbage? Point to my words please. I told you you should have thought about these things before you started your hike. I also said your husband must be a pretty good guy to drive you back down to GA to continue.

However, since you have brought it up, it seems you've been planning for at least 6 months now for this "lifelong" dream. Your greatest idea was to stick your dogs in a crate 11 hours a day???!!!

Common sense. Build 'em a kennel outside in a shaded spot with some 6X6 fencing panels some landscape timbers, a small dog house and some pea gravel - all for about $200.

I still don't understand your foot injury. What type of injury occurs after wearing shoes for 2 days?? Bad enough to get off the trail and go home, but not bad enough to see a doctor?? BTW - You, yourself, wrote in your original post that you wished you had "walked off the injury" which led me to beleive it wasn't all that bad.

Yeah, I did tell you to get off your ass and get back on the trail. I guess that could be considered cursing and insulting by some, though I am surprised it is been seen that way by one who takes what appears to be spinoff of an anal sex act as a trail name.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 03-22-2007 at 15:11.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    BTW, I'm no prude, but until someone suggested to look it up on the 'net, I hadn't a clue what the trailname meant.
    Me too and I wish I hadn't. But, no matter... to each his or her own.

[quote=Boston;343349...i don't think i would be able to ask them about their trail name.... ...it's kinda a strange thing to be talking about with people that you don't reall know, unless its your close friends, where the name seems to have originated.[/quote]

That's why I chose my own trail name; I didn't want someone else sticking me with a name I would consider embarrassing or in poor taste. I have not thru-hiked myself (I have done sections in NH, MA, VT), but my understanding is that it is sort of commonplace sitting around a shelter or campfire to ask people about the origin of their trailname.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

I would never presume to tell anyone to change their trail name. And there have been some silly ones over the years. FUBAR comes to mind immediately.
    Unless we're talking about different people, the trailname FUBAR unfortunately turned out to be spot on accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Unless we're talking about different people, the trailname FUBAR unfortunately turned out to be spot on accurate.

And like FUBAR, Llama Punch is one that will probably be remembered years from now....

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=MOWGLI16;343351]I would never presume to tell anyone to change their trail name. And there have been some silly ones over the years. ===================================

Met a hiker in 2001 named "A$$ Face" and had a similar thought ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I know this isn't a thread about trail names, but in 2000, I did see one register entry from a hiker named Poop Finger.

Now THERE'S a visual for ya!

Images

Angry Have a little class!

To expect ATC to print in A.T. Journeys a name like more than 1 in this thread is outrageous! I would think people would have better judgement.

Images

I know this isn't a thread about trail names, but in 2000, I did see one register entry from a hiker named Poop Finger.

Now THERE'S a visual for ya!
    Especially if his hiking partner was Itchy Butt.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++