WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Smile MSR Dromedary Bag

I recently purchased a 6L bag and have not tried it out. Does any one have any reviews or comments about this? Or just things I should know or what I should have bought instead?

Images

They will last a long, long time. My first set was in '91 (both 4L) then MSR Recalled them around '98 or so and I got 2 replacements in the deal - They still work great 9 or so years later.
    I store them in the freezer in the summer, to avoid bacteria buildup. In the fall, I let them dry completely in the sunlight for several days, before storing them in a closet.
    To clean, I fill with warm water and a tsp of bleach and swish around -let it sit for 20 minutes before dumping and rinsing several times.

I once had mine full of water at a lean-to in the 'daks where it got to 5 degrees that night. The drom bag froze solid. It was a 9 mile hike back to the truck and I really thought long about cutting it open to get rid of the 7-8 lbs of water. I ultimately just packed it out, where it took several days to thaw out completely.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 03-18-2007 at 20:35.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

okay so it sounds like i made a good investment. That makes me happy!

Some may tell you that it's too heavy, but I found my 4L one very useful on the trail and very durable. Everyone I knew who told me it was too heavy ended up with platys covered in duct tape, which were leaky and, due to the tape, pretty much as heavy as my bag.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

I have a 6L Dromolite which is basically the same thing as the Dromedary but 30% lighter. I have two smaller sizes also and all of them work flawlessly. The 6L is ideal for me as thats about as much water as I ever carry at any given time. The drink tube has never leaked. One thing I don't like about it is that it lacks a handle and can be hard to carry when full and I'm carting a bunch of other stuff. I attached a piece of webbing through the grommet and "Viola" the handle issue is resolved. MSR fixed the handle problem by creating the "Hydromedary" which is basically the same thing made from the same 200D Cordura except it comes with a handle. The largest Hydromedary I was able to find was a 3L and @ $36+ I think my piece of webbing is the better alternative. MSR claims the redesigned bite valve of the Hydromedary won't leak like the older ones did ?
    I have used these for years and have never had a leak or a problem with the bite valve so maybe I was lucky.
    I clean mine regularly using 10% bleach to H20 and let it dry completely. I store it with the lid removed.
    I have no complaints and after many years of use it still works great.

Quote Originally Posted by David335 View Post
    I recently purchased a 6L bag and have not tried it out. Does any one have any reviews or comments about this? Or just things I should know or what I should have bought instead?
    Its a quality bag but 6 liters is a huge capacity. Thats over a gallon and a half - you're not likely to need that much water at any time on most hikes, especially on the AT. Of course, you needn't fill it up all the way...
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

I'm still using the one that was recalled and was leeching arsenic.

Images

Sounds like a good size for a camp pillow, so it might pull double-duty?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

My 4-Liter MSR bag has 20,000 miles on it and is going strong. It's propably the most durable and reliable piece of gear I own.

Default Dromlite

In the past few years, I have gone through a lot of changes to my hydration system due to leaky bladders, finicky bite valves, broken water bottles, etc.

The only thing that has remained the same is my 6L MSR dromlite. great piece of gear.

I now carry a 6L dromlite and 2 1L Nalgene bladders on nearly all of my trips.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rswanson View Post
    Its a quality bag but 6 liters is a huge capacity. Thats over a gallon and a half - you're not likely to need that much water at any time on most hikes, especially on the AT. Of course, you needn't fill it up all the way...
    6L works for me..the capacity is there when I need it. 6L comes in handy around camp.

Images

I had one (the red one) break a few months ago. The ring around the opening cracked and a piece fell of. It leaked after that, so I threw it out and got one of the extra-durable ones (black with red cord around the outside) and it's been great. I haven't used it as much as some of these guys have used theirs, but I've been pleased so far. Much easier to fill than a platy, too.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Drom lite bag

had it for 8+?years never failed.
    just didn't like the cap that stuck out,
    so I couldn't use it as a pillow like the other bags
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    had it for 8+?years never failed.
    just didn't like the cap that stuck out....
    Hmmm. it seem to fit perfectly into my ear (which then holds the bag in place)
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I believe there is a shower attachment, could come in handy.

++ New Posts ++