WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just Bought a Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide

Thanks to some great input from other Whiteblaze 'husky boys', I decided to go with the Sawtooth extra wide. I was a bit concerned about taking a down bag on a thru hike but I figure if I'm smart* I should be able to keep it out of downpours and/or rivers -- and the water resistant shell should shed any thing else.

Feel free to support or mock my decision, either way thanks for the great info!

* I give it three days before I get drunk and try to raft on it

Images

Hey Big Cat,
    I carry a Sawtooth X-Wide and love it. I appreciate that the bag is true to it's temp ratings. the only thing I can find I don't care for is the zipper tape isn't too sturdy and the zipper tends to snag at times (usually at 3:47 AM when you are frantically trying to get out to pee).
    Otherwise it packs small and makes a great crossover bag between summer-winter-summer.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Thanks Toolshed, great to hear!

All kidding aside, this forum has been a lifesaver as far as finding equipment for us XXXLers. There were times when I considering canceling my thru hike b/c I was having trouble finding the gear I needed.

Don't sweat taking a down bag. Line your stuff sack with a garbage bag and you can toss it in a river if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    Line your stuff sack with a garbage bag and you can toss it in a river if you want to.
    That sounds like a challenge!!!!!

I'm not going to admit to how many times I've fished sleeping bags out of a river. Round things roll, and round stuff sacks especially like to find their way down embankments!

Images

I have a Sawtooth but not the extra wide. It's a pretty decent bag for the money compared to other Marmot bags around the same temp. rating.
    I haven't tried rafting on mine yet.

++ New Posts ++