WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    I was thinking more of a full blown book with ISBN and all thats sold in a store, but that could work too I suppose.
    I have a publishing company that I have set up the book with, but I did not think that there would be any interest in the book. So I never went forward with it.

I have it already in book format for the publishing company. It is 169 pages and the price for the book would be about $10 before shipping. Shipping is what would nail us unless I ordered a bunch in one order, but like I said if there is no interest there would be no since in going to go forward with it.

If we were ever to go forward with it then I would need some help with the prelude and credits because it was something I threw together and is probably overkill.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Wonderful resource.

Asssuming that this is a pdf of an excel file it can be formatted so that the column headings appear at the top of each page.

Also guessing that the 0 foot elevations are an indication that the actual elevation is unknown. Suggest entering unknown instead of 0.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nhalbrook View Post
    Wonderful resource.

Asssuming that this is a pdf of an excel file it can be formatted so that the column headings appear at the top of each page.

Also guessing that the 0 foot elevations are an indication that the actual elevation is unknown. Suggest entering unknown instead of 0.
    No this is done in Word and yes I have the column so that they are headers on the top of each page in the format I have here.
    AT Troll (2010)

GA-ME 2011
    Images

How do you remove the backgroud color?

AT 2012

sorry, i know i should be able to figure this out, but i only seem to be able to access the database as a pdf, and then the topo map links don't work... how else can i get to them? ... and thanks again, for doing this.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

oh my. i got it now. sooo glad no one responded to my particularly stupid question before i figured it out!!! the topo maps are great.
    Lazarus

Images

Default Where is the Word version

I liked the previous Word version from the zip file. That allowed a user to modify the document to decrease font size etc. to make it easier to carry. Are we going to get that version back?

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am in the process of redoing the whole database so that we can put it to print.
    AT Troll (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I am in the process of redoing the whole database so that we can put it to print.
    I used part of the database last week and thank you for making it available.

Here are some comments and corrections you might want to incorporate:

Mile 1329.3: I am not sure why the guide says "Highpoint Concessions" at this mile point as it is off the trail at mile 1323.4. At High Point the concession at the obelisk monument parking lot opened Memorial day weekend. They had soda, hotdogs, chips, nachos, and many kinds of ice cream desserts. There was a relatively clean restroom. I had the first two hotdogs served there this year.

Mile 1329.3: Secret Shelter: There is no dryer at the Secret Shelter this year nor was there one last year. The outdoor shower was not working this year nor was it last year. The indoor shower works great and the donkeys (brothers both named "Jake") are still vocal and it is definitely one of the most pleasant and memorable spots on the trail.

I did have the honor and pleasure of speaking to Jim Murray for a few minutes and he is obviously a fine person who loves hiking and doing kind things for others.

He pointed out that it is only a mile into Unionville from the Secret Shelter if you roadwalk and there are maps inside showing the route. This would be useful to know if going into town while staying at the shelter.

Mile 1331.0: Unionville: The correct road crossing can be identified by the concrete bridge painted orange on the ends and a dammed pond at the trailhead.

The faucets at the cemetery were not working this past week and did not appear to have been working for some time.

Horler's General store makes fantastic subs, sandwiches, hamburgers, and hotdogs and has great cold salads. They slice the sandwich meat to order and the bread and tomato and onion, etc. are of excellent quality. The hamburger was thick and the meat was also of good quality and cooked to order. There is a picnic table out back.

Another section hiker in town, Dr. Who, spoke to the town maintenance guy who said there was water and a porta-johnny in the town park. I do not know this first hand or if these services are available year 'round.

Mile 1336.3: The paragraph is confusing about the house and who owns it, making it seem as if there are two houses and water sources. I don't know who owns it now, but it can't be both the DEC and the ATC, and the house is white, not blue. There is a new faucet that has been installed that cuts off by itself.

Mile 1342.8: The water faucets at Heavenly Hill Farms are located along the fence between the porch and the parking lot. They have ice cream, shakes, soda, juice, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables, and really wonderful baked goods. They do not have ramen, Lipton's, or other hiker mainstays.

There is a small parking lot at the trailhead here.

Mile 1358.0 NY Rte 17A: no mention is made of the Bellevale Creamery, an ice-cream and soda parlor with outdoor tables and a porta-johnny just a few hundred yards West of the trail. Almost every hiker seems to stop there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I used part of the database last week and thank you for making it available.

Here are some comments and corrections you might want to incorporate:

Mile 1329.3: I am not sure why the guide says "Highpoint Concessions" at this mile point as it is off the trail at mile 1323.4. At High Point the concession at the obelisk monument parking lot opened Memorial day weekend. They had soda, hotdogs, chips, nachos, and many kinds of ice cream desserts. There was a relatively clean restroom. I had the first two hotdogs served there this year.

Mile 1329.3: Secret Shelter: There is no dryer at the Secret Shelter this year nor was there one last year. The outdoor shower was not working this year nor was it last year. The indoor shower works great and the donkeys (brothers both named "Jake") are still vocal and it is definitely one of the most pleasant and memorable spots on the trail.

I did have the honor and pleasure of speaking to Jim Murray for a few minutes and he is obviously a fine person who loves hiking and doing kind things for others.

He pointed out that it is only a mile into Unionville from the Secret Shelter if you roadwalk and there are maps inside showing the route. This would be useful to know if going into town while staying at the shelter.

Mile 1331.0: Unionville: The correct road crossing can be identified by the concrete bridge painted orange on the ends and a dammed pond at the trailhead.

The faucets at the cemetery were not working this past week and did not appear to have been working for some time.

Horler's General store makes fantastic subs, sandwiches, hamburgers, and hotdogs and has great cold salads. They slice the sandwich meat to order and the bread and tomato and onion, etc. are of excellent quality. The hamburger was thick and the meat was also of good quality and cooked to order. There is a picnic table out back.

Another section hiker in town, Dr. Who, spoke to the town maintenance guy who said there was water and a porta-johnny in the town park. I do not know this first hand or if these services are available year 'round.

Mile 1336.3: The paragraph is confusing about the house and who owns it, making it seem as if there are two houses and water sources. I don't know who owns it now, but it can't be both the DEC and the ATC, and the house is white, not blue. There is a new faucet that has been installed that cuts off by itself.

Mile 1342.8: The water faucets at Heavenly Hill Farms are located along the fence between the porch and the parking lot. They have ice cream, shakes, soda, juice, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables, and really wonderful baked goods. They do not have ramen, Lipton's, or other hiker mainstays.

There is a small parking lot at the trailhead here.

Mile 1358.0 NY Rte 17A: no mention is made of the Bellevale Creamery, an ice-cream and soda parlor with outdoor tables and a porta-johnny just a few hundred yards West of the trail. Almost every hiker seems to stop there.
    Thank you. I have not reached that mileage in my updates and corrections yet so thank you.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Default Printing

I do not understand the reasoning for printing it. There are already two printed guidebooks. The beauty of the old Word version of the database (before the .pdf version) was ease of use and ability to modify it to ones needs for a section. I don't think I would ever use a printed version when you can just download the .pdf of the ALDHA Companion and get the same or better information.

Can't we please have back the user friendly Word version. That was the reason I became a donating member, just to get that document.

Thank you.

Rainman

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I do not understand the reasoning for printing it. There are already two printed guidebooks.
    The reason we have been thinking of going to print is because we are constantly trying to work on ways to bring in monies for the web site. We barely break even now and with the constant growing of the user base on WhiteBlaze we use more traffic and with the use of more traffic more bandwidth is needed. So you are thinking “how does this affect me”. Well if we do not get enough donations from members then we can not afford to pay the monthly server cost to run the web site on. If we can not afford to pay for the server then there will be now web site.

As I posted someplace else earlier this week and I can not remember where that was. With the donations we get from members we barley break even each month from donations we receive. This is not a big deal right now as long as we continue to break even. People do not realize what it cost to run a server. Sure you can server space for as low as $5 a month, but you will not be able to run a web site like we have on it. Our server cost well over $3,200 a year and more if you include the other cost associated with it into it. I would say it cost closer to $4,000 per year to run WhiteBlaze. The donations we receive from our members do not cover all that. We have other things we do throughout the year that help use with bringing in money. We are just trying to narrow it down so that we have more money coming it to keep the web site online. I think is we had a very successful data book that was kept up to date that is would help us a lot with income.

So if I rambled on. You ask and I tried to explain.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

The reason we have been thinking of going to print is because we are constantly trying to work on ways to bring in monies for the web site.
    Understood. You have to have the financial resources to make this site work. Thank you very much for all you do. This site is my first "go to" source of information and I would sure miss it.

Is it possible to have a subscription based access to an electronic version of the database in addition to the print version? I really like the option of cutting and pasting just the info I need so I have less to carry on the trail. Just a thought.

Thanks again!

Rainman

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Rainman, you can cut'n'paste out of the PDF too, into whatever word processor you like to work with. Adobe's Acrobat Reader program has a Select Text function for this purpose. It may not copy formatting correctly, but it'll get all the text you select, and then you can reformat, alter fonts/sizes, etc in your word processor program.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    Rainman, you can cut'n'paste out of the PDF too, into whatever word processor you like to work with. Adobe's Acrobat Reader program has a Select Text function for this purpose. It may not copy formatting correctly, but it'll get all the text you select, and then you can reformat, alter fonts/sizes, etc in your word processor program.
    Thanks Uncle Silly. I will give that a try.

Rainman

Images

Default The .pdf Database is locked

Uncle Silly, I tried it. The document is locked.

Whadya say Troll, can we have an unlocked version so we can cut and paste the parts we want and leave the rest at home?

Rainman

Images

why not just print the pages that you want. I did it earlier this yr when I did a section hike
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    why not just print the pages that you want. I did it earlier this yr when I did a section hike
    Yup, you can do that. But you can do that with the .pdf version of the ALDHA companion, so where's the value added to the WB Database? The thing that drew me to the database, and contributing to WB, was the flexibility of the old format. I thought the purpose was to break the monopoly of information and make it more accessible. If all WB does is produce another Companion, I don't understand the point. Plus, if it is locked it is not a "data base" at all, it is just a publication. Just my $.02

Rainman

A PDF is not a database, ever. It's an unfortunate selection of file format if accessibility is the aim.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry to be long and lengthy on this but I will try to explain.

The intention of the database was not to try to get people to donate. The donations for the web site are on a voluntary basis only. We would hope that users would volunteer to donate once a year at a minimum of $10 each. If we could get the users that visit the site on a regular basis to donate $10 a year then we would never have to worry about paying any server cost out of our own pocket. I have never begged are cried for donations from the users and I never will. If I had to I would pay the server cost out of my own pocket to keep the site up and running.

The original intention of this site was to help future thru hikers and section hikers to prepare for there hike. We have always stated that the site is free for everyone to use and we will keep it that way. Donations help so that we do not have to pay the server cost out of our own pocket. We have been lucky so far and have not had to pay anything out of our pockets for over a year or so now. That could change at any given minute though. It all depends on the amount of donations coming in.

Getting back to the subject, the database started out so that donating members could download it but after thinking more about it and our goal to help others to prepare for hiking on the AT and to keep everything on the web site free we decided to make it available to every one.

In doing so we decided to protect it from people copying it and plagiarizing it by making it so that it could not be edited. We are also thinking about going into production with the database and selling in hopes to bring in some money to help with server cost. If we go into production with the data base then it would not be feasible for us to have it online where everyone could have access to edit it and change it with out telling us of the changes so that we could make those changes in the database. We have already printed out the book through a publishing company and have some samples here at my house. We just need to go through the book and make some changes and decide on whether we want to move forward with this our not.

If you think that we are trying to produce another Companion then I am sorry but if you look at the layout of the Companion and our layout you will see two totally different layouts. Our database does not look anything like the Companion. We are trying to make it easier to use and in a step by step walk on the AT.

Now that is my $.02 on this.
    AT Troll (2010)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++