WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: aquablazing?

Default aquablazing?

i heard you can conoe some rivers near the shenandoa valley for a week as an alternative to the AT. anybody ever did this? are there outfitters who set you up w/ canoe?

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    i heard you can conoe some rivers near the shenandoa valley for a week as an alternative to the AT. anybody ever did this? are there outfitters who set you up w/ canoe?
    no and yes.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

no such thing. either yer hikin' or yer canoein'

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Don't know how you go about setting it up ....but a handful of hikers did the "aquablaze" thing in 2003. Spoke with some of them afterwards back on the trail and they said it was fun. If your goal is to WALK from Georgia to Maine it probably isn't a consideration.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

sometimes, hiking just plain sucks. especially when it's hot. canoeing for 100 miles with a cooler full of beer would be most excellent and smart

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    sometimes, hiking just plain sucks. especially when it's hot. canoeing for 100 miles with a cooler full of beer would be most excellent and smart
    if ya caint stand the heat, get outta the kitchen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    get outta the kitchen!!! ...
    ...and into a canoe

Images

...and into a canoe
    uh huh!!
    i can row a boat, canoe???

Canoe Outfitters start getting pretty thick around Front Royal where many set you up for a 25 mile or so overnight paddle trip. They are all over the internet. You could possibly arrange a rental from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry travelling North (sorta) along with the current. This would have to be arranged pretty well in advance as I've not heard of anyone who has done it as a rental deal. I assume a pretty hefty deposit would be required as well as a pick up fee for the canoe at Harpers Ferry.
    Your progress North depends largely on recent rainfall -there's been times when canoeing the south fork of the river was more like rock climbing, and others with some very entertaining white water.

In 2000 Blister Sister and Raz-ma-taz aqua blazed, then hitched back and hiked the section they skipped. Just about everyone else just skipped the 100 or so miles they could aquablaze.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie00 View Post
    In 2000 Blister Sister and Raz-ma-taz aqua blazed, then hitched back and hiked the section they skipped. Just about everyone else just skipped the 100 or so miles they could aquablaze.
    anal purist sheeple

anal purist sheeple
    LW, where's the best place to aqua-blaze?

Images

Some folks did all that last year. The outfitter in front royal hooked'm up. Not sure the name of the outfitter, but thy were on the main street, down town area.

Sounds like fun to me. As for making up the 100 miles...maybe next year. It won't weigh on my consience 1 bit. If they don'y want to take my pic in Harper's Ferry because of it,...oh well.

Default hike your own hike

Aqua blazing is only one of many diversions along the AT. Different hikers left the trail for many different reasons. Some of the common ones that I am aware of include tourist sight seeing, graduations, problems at home, visit friends, concerts, and athletic events. Some people rejoined the AT where they got off and some didn’t. When I was young in New Hampshire in the 50s and 60s the attitude was what a person does on his or her own property is his or her own business. Then there was a stream of flat landers that moved in. Now there is the thinking that you can do what you want on your property if we approve it first. I say hike your own hike …or you can do as my ex told me…”take a hike.”

jessica and jason from florida did it last year.
    matthewski

I understand there are aquablazing opportunities at DWG... but not sure how or where one would reconnect with the AT. I'll bet Geek would know. Has he started his hike yet?

Images

A few folks did it in 2006. They left the AT at Front Royal and returned at Harpers Ferry. Evryone can get their picture taken at the ATC. You don't have to say your a 'purist' thru-hiker. Hike your own hike. Have fun canoeing, yellow-blazing, or doing whatever you want this summer or next along the length of the trail. But, out of respect for those who hike the entire trail and claim the title of '200 Miler', don't claim it if YOU didn't do it! I hope that you'll try to get back to finish the parts of the AT you missed - the Rollercoaster, Ben's Den Hostel, and the walk by the Jefferson Rock into Harpers.
    Tipper

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
    A few folks did it in 2006. They left the AT at Front Royal and returned at Harpers Ferry. Evryone can get their picture taken at the ATC. You don't have to say your a 'purist' thru-hiker. Hike your own hike. Have fun canoeing, yellow-blazing, or doing whatever you want this summer or next along the length of the trail. But, out of respect for those who hike the entire trail and claim the title of '200 Miler', don't claim it if YOU didn't do it! I hope that you'll try to get back to finish the parts of the AT you missed - the Rollercoaster, Ben's Den Hostel, and the walk by the Jefferson Rock into Harpers.
    OOps..."2000 miler"!
    Tipper

When we got to maine last year we went rafting at this place. Was a great way to do something different than just hiking.
    http://www.windfallrafting.com/
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++