WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section by Section
    Images

Default Help me make a cozy...

I'm atempting to make one of these...

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store...products_id=72

I bought one of these at Wal-Mart yesterday...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CAINDE/...E&linkCode=asn

I've got it cut to shape and I'm ready to glue the seams. What glue? I bought some CA glue, but it doesn't seem to work with what I assume is the mylar foil.

Thanks in advance.

Instead of gluing the seams, what about covering them with duct tape or foil lined high temp flue pipe tape?
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Section by Section
    Images

Weight. But it might be a negligible difference. Perhaps someone could comment...

High temp duct tape works fine lasts a long time. Peace J.J.B.
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind. - Dr. Seuss<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I used elmers spray glue and metal duct tape. The weight they added was minimal

I use duct tape. Works fine, won't crack like flu tape. The outside of the cozy doesn't get hot, obviously.

Use the duct tape. You are probably going to carry some duct tape anyway for repairs, maybe first aid (good for blisters or small scrapes) so why not carry it around the cozy? Use what you need to make the cozy, then wrap several extra turns around it for your regular supply. One less thing to keep track of.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

I just finished making my first pot cozy. I have looked at many “make your own” cozy directions and noticed that all (at least what I saw) required the handles to be folded in around the pot. I wanted to be able to still grip and hold the pot as it was in its cozy. I also didn't want to burn myself folding them toward the pot or placing it in the cozy.
    So, I used a cheap (Wal-mart) closed cell sleeping pad and incorporated Velcro. I cut the side part section (vertically) and attached Velcro to each side. I can now just wrap the sides around and connect to each other along with connecting the top and bottom. I also cut a spot out for the handles. It is nice to be able to hold the handles with the cozy on. I am now able to flatten out the side piece so it can fit in my pack flat. It sure isn’t the lightest cozy but it works…so far…

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dscostu View Post
    I just finished making my first pot cozy. I have looked at many “make your own” cozy directions and noticed that all (at least what I saw) required the handles to be folded in around the pot. I wanted to be able to still grip and hold the pot as it was in its cozy. I also didn't want to burn myself folding them toward the pot or placing it in the cozy.
    So, I used a cheap (Wal-mart) closed cell sleeping pad and incorporated Velcro. I cut the side part section (vertically) and attached Velcro to each side. I can now just wrap the sides around and connect to each other along with connecting the top and bottom. I also cut a spot out for the handles. It is nice to be able to hold the handles with the cozy on. I am now able to flatten out the side piece so it can fit in my pack flat. It sure isn’t the lightest cozy but it works…so far…
    I just need to keep my bag warm (but not sweaty). Um, FREEZER bag that is.

Use good duct tape (Scotch brand) on the foil-type insulation. The best glue I've found for walmart closed-cell foam is hot-melt, i.e. hot glue gun.

I've made cozy's with foil-lined bubble wrap insulation and 1/2" closed-cell foam. Unless you really need to heat-soak something for a long time, the bubble-wrap is good-enough. If you want foam, then use something thinner, as 1/2" needs to be cut and glued like making a box.

I freezer bag cook, and I don't need to heat-soak anything for more than 5 minutes. A rectangular cozy that can hold two quart-size bag menu items, and then open up to eat from, (so I don't burn my hands), is perfect. By the way, REI sells a great long handled titanium spoon for cheap - just the right length.

I went to the dollar store and bought two of the flat cloth pot holders(2 for a dollar). I put them together evenly. Came about three or four inches or so down and sewed the edges together all the way around. Put some velcro so when I'm eating I can turn the sides down so they wont be in the way. Cheap and easy...took about 15 minutes to make it! It will fold up, or just lay flat in my food bag or in my pack. I can keep it dry or whatever in a zip-lok bag if need be. I keep extra FB's in it as well for trash or whatever. They will go in there flat as to not take up to much room.

Now that I think about it I will go back and cut one side shorter so the other can fold over and velcro shut just like the one on the AG site. Oh yeah for the guy's...just sew the "purty" side in!

Sorry Midway, I didn't click on your link. I guess that I was just so excited about my new cozy!!!!

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I made one similar. I don't know how they apply the velcro but each time I tried the velcro to velcro bond was stronger than the velcro to freezer bag bond. In other words, one side or the other of the velcro would peel off when I opened the flap.

So I just use a rubber band to hold the flap shut.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Oops. Velcro to foil bubble wrap, I meant. I didn't velcro my freezer bags.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

By the way, for you dual-use types, the easiest cozy for freezer bag cooking is a gallon-size ziplock and your sleeping stocking cap. Just put your hot-watered quart-size ziplocks into the gallon-size ziplock and seal it. Place the gallon-size ziplock into your stocking cap.

dla,
    Yeah, but don't spill food on your stocking cap or the bear will eat your head.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    dla,
    Yeah, but don't spill food on your stocking cap or the bear will eat your head.
    Funny, but I know you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    I'm atempting to make one of these...

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store...products_id=72

I bought one of these at Wal-Mart yesterday...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CAINDE/...E&linkCode=asn

I've got it cut to shape and I'm ready to glue the seams. What glue? I bought some CA glue, but it doesn't seem to work with what I assume is the mylar foil.

Thanks in advance.

I use plain old strapping tape but not the kind with strings in it. the stuff I used lookes like "scotch" tape but is wider. It holds up just fine to the heat. Duct tape it too heavy. Scotch tape would work but it's not really wide enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++