WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Has anyone tried Rain Chaps?

Not sure if there has been a thread on this already, but I'm checking to see if there is anyone out there who would share thier experience using rain chaps.

I've already accepted the fact that 'waterproof/breathable' rain gear has some serious limitations. I only bring a poncho tarp under most three season situations anyway (unless I know there will be very low miles).

I'm interested in the Spinnchaps offered by Gossamer Gear. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...inn_Chaps.html They weigh less than two ounces.

Given the fact that waterproof/breathable fabrics perform very poorly after multiple use, is it crazy to consider this option?

Do you give up durability? Sure. But saving 10 ounces for $45.00 sounds mighty tempting to me.

What are your thoughts?

'Funk

Default Forgot...

Quote Originally Posted by Ratfunk View Post
    Not sure if there has been a thread on this already, but I'm checking to see if there is anyone out there who would share thier experience using rain chaps.

I've already accepted the fact that 'waterproof/breathable' rain gear has some serious limitations. I only bring a poncho tarp under most three season situations anyway (unless I know there will be very low miles).

I'm interested in the Spinnchaps offered by Gossamer Gear. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...inn_Chaps.html They weigh less than two ounces.

Given the fact that waterproof/breathable fabrics perform very poorly after multiple use, is it crazy to consider this option?

Do you give up durability? Sure. But saving 10 ounces for $45.00 sounds mighty tempting to me.

What are your thoughts?

'Funk
    Forgot to mention that I use Marmot Precip rain pants. I am considering replacing them with chaps.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I assume that you'll be pairing these with a poncho, in which case the chaps are preferable to rain pants, in that most of the heat you generate is in the crotch area. Just make sure that the chaps fit correctly and aren't too long. It would be great if they were wide enough that you could feet your boot/shoe through without taking them off.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Own a pair but haven't used them yet. Bought them for my PCT thru. I have the Equinox brand.

Tried them on at home and I think that combined with my Packa I've got a good set-up.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Thumbs up

I have used something similar from Cabela's but a heavier weight nylon. I like them because I can throw them in to wear in the wet grass in the morning or in the cool evenings woithout having to packany long pants. They are also good as a layer over wool in deep snow.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

I have a pair but rarely use them. I typically do not hike while wearing a belt nor do I carry one while hiking. I don't like the belt interfering w/ the waist belt of my pack. Just another opinion......

They're great hiking when hiking in a poncho. If you want to test them out and see if they work for you, try cutting up a cheap rainsuit, or buy a Driducks Micropore suit and cut 'em up for essentially the same thing as the silnylon chaps, maybe an ounce or two heavier.
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Cutting up dryducks pants --- a very interesting idea. Dryducks rain suit (coat and pants) cost maybe $20. Rain chaps (depending on where you buy) can cost over $100.

I assume you would just sew on some velcro straps, maybe one at ankle and one behind the knee and keep the waist band as-is?
    My hemmed dryducks pants weigh 5.3 ounces; with some fabric cut out but velcro straps added it probably would come out heavier than the 3.5 oz that backpackinglight.com sells theirs for, but still ...

I just might consider this, thanks for the idea!

Default Have not tried yet either

I just bought a pair of these from Gossamer Gear to use with my packa. I'm going on a section hike in a couple of weeks (WV and MD). If it rains I will be sure to let everyone know how they worked. But for $45 a pair and only 2 oz. it seems cheap enough to try out. I'm thinking of leaving my convertible pants at home and saving a ton of weight. I could just bring my heavy smartwool bottoms.

Jesse

Default GG Rainchaps......

Quote Originally Posted by Long feet View Post
    I just bought a pair of these from Gossamer Gear to use with my packa. I'm going on a section hike in a couple of weeks (WV and MD). If it rains I will be sure to let everyone know how they worked. But for $45 a pair and only 2 oz. it seems cheap enough to try out. I'm thinking of leaving my convertible pants at home and saving a ton of weight. I could just bring my heavy smartwool bottoms.

Jesse
    Wow, that was more or less what I had in mind!

I have been using Marmot Precip full zips with my poncho when it rains and in camp at night for warmth. I'm going to try ditching the rain pants and swapping them out for the GG rain chaps (which I ordered yesterday).

Right of the bat, I'll save 11oz. if I do this (and I didn't even consider leaving the convertible pants out either).

Saving 11 ounces is too shabby for a $45.00 expense.

How is the construction? Does it look as though they will hold up?

I would appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

'Funk

I mean not too shabby!

The particular question I would have on the GG chaps is how well they breathe ... I didn't get the sense that the material breathes (GG emphasizes how waterproof they are ...), so are you reliant on moisture evaporating up at your hips? Apart from use in camp I've mostly given up on full rain pants as you ultimately end up wet either way, so this is a pretty fundamental question IMO.

Images

I tried rain chaps many years ago. Stopped using them because I didn't like having to tie a cord around my waist to attach them too. This became irritating with the pack hip belt. I also didn't like the fact that you had no protection for sitting on a wet log. If you use a poncho, maybe that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

My thanks to rswanson for the suggestion to convert a pair of driducks micropore rainsuit pants into rain chaps. Mission accomplished (with lots of help from my more talented spouse).

My size large driducks pants weighed just over 5 oz after being previously hemmed up. As rain chaps they weigh 3.9 oz, so saved nearly a quarter of the weight. Didn't bother sewing on any sort of strapping, just kept a small amount of the original elastic waist band. This seems to go high enough that I can pull it through the narrow piece of built-in belt that some trail pants seem to leave open on each side; I think friction will hold it in place. Next time I've got some decent rain I'll walk around and test out that theory.

Durability is an obvious issue with driducks pants (in general, whether rain chaps or as pants), but they are breathable.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    My thanks to rswanson for the suggestion to convert a pair of driducks micropore rainsuit pants into rain chaps. Mission accomplished (with lots of help from my more talented spouse).

My size large driducks pants weighed just over 5 oz after being previously hemmed up. As rain chaps they weigh 3.9 oz, so saved nearly a quarter of the weight. Didn't bother sewing on any sort of strapping, just kept a small amount of the original elastic waist band. This seems to go high enough that I can pull it through the narrow piece of built-in belt that some trail pants seem to leave open on each side; I think friction will hold it in place. Next time I've got some decent rain I'll walk around and test out that theory.

Durability is an obvious issue with driducks pants (in general, whether rain chaps or as pants), but they are breathable.

Brian
    Brian;

Can you posta pic?

'Funk

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    The particular question I would have on the GG chaps is how well they breathe ... I didn't get the sense that the material breathes (GG emphasizes how waterproof they are ...), so are you reliant on moisture evaporating up at your hips? Apart from use in camp I've mostly given up on full rain pants as you ultimately end up wet either way, so this is a pretty fundamental question IMO.
    The spintex material does not breath at all, so using them above 60 degrees would be out of the question (IMHO) unless you were not exerting yourself.

The reason I am interested in them is;
    -Reducing pack weight by about 11 oz.
    -Reduced bulk
    -For use in wearing them at night when it's cold.
    -As Rain protection under the right conditions.
    -Part of a cold weather layering system (shell).

I usually carry rain pants only during the winter, earlier part of spring, and after mid fall, but I always bring my MLD ponch-tarp regardless (since it's my only shelter), and do not use them as 'rain pants' very much. At 1.6 ounces, I think i could gain some versitility in my clothing system.

After I post this, I'm going to GG to order them. I'll be in touch, and thank you again for all of the replies.

'Funk

Default Pics of Driducks converted to chaps

Rantfunk asked for pictures --- attached.

Dunno how clear these are, but it's pretty easy --- just cut away the middle section, I left a little of the original stretchy waist belt part (3 - 4 inches) on each to maximize how long these were. This was because I saw how my normal hiking pants are designed, it meant I didn't have to worry about sewing on any sort of loop, I just tuck the original material up under my belt and maybe wrap it around a little.

I stress that I haven't actually tried these yet (it is raining a little outside but i'm waiting for something more serious ...).

Brian

Images

anyone try chaps for colder weather???
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Consider MLD's Rain Skirt. Wore it in three straight days of rain over my kilt. It breathed well and kept my kilt dry-ish.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

please take my crit as helpfuly ment.

chaps breath well by design, no amount of breathable fabric can add to this.

the belt/loop junction and the belt, cause irritation under a waistbelt.

chaps cannot add any warmth at all to a layered for cold system of dressing.

chaps have no place in either rain protection, or hiking.

weight saved at the cost/risk of being unprepared is weight of a much more serious nature, gained. the weight of not haveing rain protection for legs when you want it.

chaps will never remaine a hikers choice of protection , but will be tryed, and abandonded.

chaps and riding yes. chaps and walking no. horse yes. pack no.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++