WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lithium Batteries?

Does anyone else use lithium batteries for their camera? They are much much more expensive than typical alkalines, but are said to last longer. If any of you guys use them, how long do you find that they last? I like the fact that they weigh less and last longer, but if they only last twice as long as alkalines (which isnt long anyway), then i dont think they are worth 3x the price.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Have been for quite a while. Last a lot longer but they do cost more than Alkalines ...almost double unless you can find them on sale.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I've been using them for quite a while. I get 3x to 4x out of them in my digital camera.

FYI - Don't use them in your headlamp until you check the manufacturer's specifications. Headlamps with LEDs can be damaged by using lithium batteries.
    "Don't worry...even if things end up a bit too heavy...we'll all float on... all right."
    - Modest Mouse

oh, thanks for the headlamp tip buckles. I checked, and it is recommended to avoid lithium with my Tikka Plus headlamp. Bummer. I wonder if NiMH is ok?

I just found a link online that said the Lithium disposables last longer than rechargeable NiMH, which i currently use. Thats good. I guess I"ll take the plunge and buy some today
    Last edited by vaporjourney; 03-08-2007 at 13:54.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here, but it is somewhat related. Are there any postal restrictions about mailing lithium batteries that any one knows about? I ordered some cr123 batteries from thomas-distributing.com and their website said that they need to be mailed by fed-ex or ups only not usps. Thoughts?

Only 10 days until I leave for GA...WOO HOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here, but it is somewhat related. Are there any postal restrictions about mailing lithium batteries that any one knows about? I ordered some cr123 batteries from thomas-distributing.com and their website said that they need to be mailed by fed-ex or ups only not usps. Thoughts?

Probably something to do the Dell laptop lithium battery explosions.

Another question, will Canon cameras allow for lithium batteries? I only see two choices in the book, either alkaline of NiMh rechargeables. Besides weight, are lithiums more cost effective in the long run?

[QUOTE=vaporjourney;335483]oh, thanks for the headlamp tip buckles. I checked, and it is recommended to avoid lithium with my Tikka Plus headlamp. Bummer. I wonder if NiMH is ok?

I just found a link online that said the Lithium disposables last longer than rechargeable NiMH, which i currently use. Thats good. I guess I"ll take the plunge and buy some today[/QUOTE

I wasn't aware of the reommendation aginst lithium batteries for the Tikka. I've used the same lithium batteries in my Tikka for over two years and haven't had any problems.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

We just put new lithiums in our camera and our MP3s. For the price they had better last alot longer!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post

I bought lithium batteries online from Backpacking Light and they were sent to me through the mail.

Images

I have a Canon PowerShot that I use on the trail. My Canon uses 2 AA batteries and I use the lithiums. I always have the display feature "on" and I find that the lithium batteries last for weeks.

I bought them in a bulk pack at Sams.

MN
    Sue Buak

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    oh, thanks for the headlamp tip buckles. I checked, and it is recommended to avoid lithium with my Tikka Plus headlamp. Bummer.
    I wasn't aware of the reommendation aginst lithium batteries for the Tikka. I've used the same lithium batteries in my Tikka for over two years and haven't had any problems.
    bulldog49 - you got lucky - lithium batteries are not recommended for any headlamp that is not regulated because the lithium batteries have a lower internal resistance than the alkalines - lower resistance = higher current = brighter LED = more heat build-up in LED assembly = early death of LED

I messed up an Aurora headlamp using lithiums - I now use a Quad which is regulated and can use the lithium batteries.

Anyone want an Aurora with an annoying blinking LED ? (j/k)

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=bulldog49;335559]
    =================================

Same here ...maybe even longer than 2 years without any observable problems.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Anyone know if its a problem in the Princeton tec EOS?
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    *******49 - you got lucky - lithium batteries are not recommended for any headlamp that is not regulated because the lithium batteries have a lower internal resistance than the alkalines - lower resistance = higher current = brighter LED = more heat build-up in LED assembly = early death of LED

I messed up an Aurora headlamp using lithiums - I now use a Quad which is regulated and can use the lithium batteries.

Anyone want an Aurora with an annoying blinking LED ? (j/k)
    Well, I don't think I've ever had my headlamp on for more than 5 minutes at a time. That may not be long enough for the heat build-up you mention. I've never noticed any discernable heat from the lamp when I turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Nature View Post
    I have a Canon PowerShot that I use on the trail. My Canon uses 2 AA batteries and I use the lithiums. I always have the display feature "on" and I find that the lithium batteries last for weeks.
    This is nice to hear, since I'm using a Canon Powershot as well, and am about to switch over to lithiums for my thru. Do you have the A70 by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Chache View Post
    Anyone know if its a problem in the Princeton tec EOS?
    IMO the EOS is Ok for lithium batteries because it is regulated - I have one but I don't use it much due to the rather tight beam pattern - I prefer the Quad's beam pattern because it has a larger angle of illumination - EOS throws its light farther but what I mostly want to see is within 20 feet of me when I am hiking or in camp.

an even more important reason to use lithiums is that they maintain a contstant ouput to -40 degrees. As the temp drops, alkaline batteries' output decreases as well. At +20 degrees alkaline output is significantly compromised. Ni Mh batteries fare even worse in cold temps.

Images

Smile

Does anyone else use lithium batteries for their camera? They are much much more expensive than typical alkalines, but are said to last longer. If any of you guys use them, how long do you find that they last? I like the fact that they weigh less and last longer, but if they only last twice as long as alkalines (which isnt long anyway), then i dont think they are worth 3x the price.
    I have been using lithium batteries in my digital camera for nearly 9 months now.They will last 3x to 4x longer.If you have time to shop a little you can find them on sale at a decent price.I usually buy extra when I find them on sale.

Definetely Lithium,, if you can afford them... not available everywhere...

Images

This is nice to hear, since I'm using a Canon Powershot as well, and am about to switch over to lithiums for my thru. Do you have the A70 by chance?

Mine is a Canon Powershot A510A. It's my first digital camera and I have been happy with it. I haven't quite figured out lighting issues but I'm not creating pictures for National Geograhic.

Are you hiking 2007?

MN
    Sue Buak

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++