WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Long live Vitamin i !

Ibuprofen beats 2 other painkillers

LINDSEY TANNER

Associated Press

Deciding which medicine to give a child in pain just got easier: The first head-to-head study of three common painkillers found that ibuprofen works best, at least for kids with broken bones, bruises and sprains.
    Available generically and under the brand names Advil and Motrin, ibuprofen beat generic acetaminophen and codeine in an emergency room study of 300 children treated at a Canadian hospital.
    The youngsters, ages 6 to 17, were randomly assigned to receive standard doses of one of the three medicines. They then periodically rated their pain. Half an hour later, ratings were similar in the three groups. But starting an hour after taking the medicine, children who got ibuprofen reported substantially greater pain relief than the other two groups.
    Children rated their pain on a 100-point scale before and after taking the medicine. At 60 minutes afterward, scores for children who got ibuprofen had dropped 24 points, compared with 12 points for the acetaminophen group and 11 points for the codeine group. The differences remained at 120 minutes.
    Also at 60 minutes, about half the ibuprofen children reported what doctors considered "adequate" pain relief, or scores below 30, compared with 40 percent of the codeine children and 36 percent of the acetaminophen group.
    The study was done at Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario in Ottawa, and a research institute at the hospital funded the study. Results appear in the March edition of Pediatrics, being released today.
    Puzzled Parents
    For parents, choosing a painkiller for children can be confusing, partly because acetaminophen and ibuprofen both work against fevers.
    Codeine does too, but it's a mild narcotic available only by prescription.

Associated Press

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post

Ibuprofen beats 2 other painkillers

LINDSEY TANNER

Associated Press

Deciding which medicine to give a child in pain just got easier: The first head-to-head study of three common painkillers found that ibuprofen works best, at least for kids with broken bones, bruises and sprains.
    Ha! I could have told them that!

Ode to Ibuprofen:
    Ibuprofen and I are one!
    I could not have moved without ibuprofen.
    Ibuprofen got me to Katahdin.

That said, you do have to pay strict atention to your hydration.
    An not take ibu and Tylenol together - it will eat your liver up!

Long live ibu!
    Ibuprofen, my good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    you do have to pay strict atention to your hydration. An not take ibu and Tylenol together - it will eat your liver up!
    Good suggestions. I also suggest taking it with some food (or milk) to avoid getting an upset stomach. It may not occur on a 1x dose, but if you are taking it over a course of days, I have found that it can upset your stomach pretty easily.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Good suggestions. I also suggest taking it with some food (or milk) to avoid getting an upset stomach. It may not occur on a 1x dose, but if you are taking it over a course of days, I have found that it can upset your stomach pretty easily.
    Good point.
    I thought of one other thing - I took "ibu holidays" to give my stomach a rest. Ibuprofen is not the greatest thing taken over the long term, much as I adore the joint-easing effects. Usually those holidays were my zero, nero or easy-milage/terrain days.
    I ALWAYS noticed the difference!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

With the sorts of injuries I've had, I know a lot about anti-inflamatory drugs at high doses over a long period. The best thing I found for tummy protection was dairy with fat - things like ice cream, creamed cottage cheese, a fruit smoothie made with 1/2 cup of cream.... on the trail, I have eaten hunks of cheese and added olive oil to pudding made with powdered milk to keep it from irritating my tummy, but I not done a lot of backpacking overnights since the accident because I was extemely limited on what I could carry until recently.

Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    An not take ibu and Tylenol together - it will eat your liver up!
    I do not believe this is correct, perhaps for some people or depending on other medications, but it is often recommended to take both if you have a high fever. Tylenol is cleared by the liver and ibuprofen is cleared by the kidneys. Check with your doctor/pharmacist.

Good/bad news. Recent study found it might cause infertility in men.

Careful with that drug, or any NSAID... Reserve for severe acute use only.

Your problem is not a shortage of pharmaceuticals in your body. Better to let your body heal naturally. It does that by inflammation and other processes that NSAIDS interrupt.

Ibuprofen is great, until it wrecks your stomach.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Good/bad news. Recent study found it might cause infertility in men.
    Introducing new Advil migraine plus birth control.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I do not believe this is correct, perhaps for some people or depending on other medications, but it is often recommended to take both if you have a high fever. Tylenol is cleared by the liver and ibuprofen is cleared by the kidneys. Check with your doctor/pharmacist.
    I have been advised of the same by healthcare professionals, use acetaminophen and ibuprofen concurrently to knock down a bad fever. Of course as you say, check with your doctor, I'm just a random person on the internet.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post

Your problem is not a shortage of pharmaceuticals in your body...

+1

An anti-inflammatory lifestyle should be goal # 1. Inflammation is at the root of much pain.

Flippantly referring to an OTC pain pill - a drug - as a vitamin is symptomatic of an ill-informed and pill addicted culture misguided by a incorrigible medical system fanatic about prescribing drugs,

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I've been using V-I off and on for decades, no stomach problems whatsoever. I assume any "stomach problems" would include some sort of symptom?

That being said, when I had my first colonoscopy 5 years ago (I know, I was "late" doing this...) they did find a small ulcer in my colon... doc said it might be because of V-I. The test was right after a very long hike with more than usual V-I use.

So yeah, take this stuff sparingly if you can, I try to limit to 3 tabs a day when on long hikes and like said below, take "V-I holidays" on neros or other short easy days. I also cross-train more these days with swimming, biking, skiing and kayaking, none of which I currently need any meds to enjoy. I hike a bit less except on long hikes, but long distance hiking is still #1 on my fun-O-meter.

But if it comes down to hiking with it or not hiking at all, fugedaboudid. The overall benefits of a very active lifestyle swamp the down side of NSAIDs. My doc agrees.

I've tried a bunch of "natural remedies", none work for me. The only one that comes close is taking Turmeric, there is a hint of benefit there, I've been experimenting with Turmeric and a lower dose of V-I.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    That and spontaneous kidney failure ...

L Dog
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post

Your problem is not a shortage of pharmaceuticals in your body. Better to let your body heal naturally. It does that by inflammation and other processes that NSAIDS interrupt.
    Very much this. Inflammation is the trigger that convinces your ligaments to heal.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Very much this. Inflammation is the trigger that convinces your ligaments to heal.
    Right, let the body create its own anti-inflammatories when the time is right. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Smallest effective dose of Tylenol that lets me sleep. Hit it with ibuprophen if inflammation does not dissipate in a few days. Taking ibuprofen daily for extended periods of time is a kidney killer.

L Dog
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Saying "kidney killer" is a bit of an overstatement... Here's a good excerpt from a Kidney disease website:

"In people with high blood pressure, taking NSAIDs long term may worsen underlying high blood pressure. People with kidney problems at baseline more often get in trouble with NSAIDs, but if you are taking ibuprofen for long periods of time it’s not a bad idea to have a check of your kidney function with a quick blood test. Remember, acute kidney injury from NSAIDs doesn’t cause any symptoms."

The good news for us long-term V-I users is that regular blood tests would show any issues with our Kidneys. My Creatnine and some other marker (can't remember) have always been right smack in the middle of "normal", hence why my dic is unconcerned taking V-I long term.

Choose your poison!

I'm pretty sure being fat and sedentary (which I would probably trend towards without being able to hike) brings a much higher risk of heart (and other) problems than very modest ibuprofen effects on a healthy set of kidneys!

Talk to your doc before listening to the hacks (myself included!) on here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Saying "kidney killer" is a bit of an overstatement... Here's a good excerpt from a Kidney disease website:

"In people with high blood pressure, taking NSAIDs long term may worsen underlying high blood pressure. People with kidney problems at baseline more often get in trouble with NSAIDs, but if you are taking ibuprofen for long periods of time it’s not a bad idea to have a check of your kidney function with a quick blood test. Remember, acute kidney injury from NSAIDs doesn’t cause any symptoms."

The good news for us long-term V-I users is that regular blood tests would show any issues with our Kidneys. My Creatnine and some other marker (can't remember) have always been right smack in the middle of "normal", hence why my dic is unconcerned taking V-I long term.

Choose your poison!

I'm pretty sure being fat and sedentary (which I would probably trend towards without being able to hike) brings a much higher risk of heart (and other) problems than very modest ibuprofen effects on a healthy set of kidneys!

Talk to your doc before listening to the hacks (myself included!) on here.
    I got my info from a retired internist I was hiking with for a week or so. He saw me hitting the ibuprophen every six, and warned me that kind of usage could result in "spontaneous liver failure."

L Dog
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    I got my info from a retired internist I was hiking with for a week or so. He saw me hitting the ibuprophen every six, and warned me that kind of usage could result in "spontaneous liver failure."

L Dog
    There is so much misinformation in some of these posts. I am thinking you are just switching the 2 medicines. please check with doctor or pharmacist. Tylenol is the one that can kill the liver when overdosing on it. and it does not take a huge amount to cause damage when you consider people might be taking Tylenol in several combination meds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++