WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Thanks!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

I'am startint at Kahtahdin in June going to HF. then Springer @ back to HF. Would I miss the bad weather, if I do it this Way?
    Audrey

Default Gdeup

I 've been planning this hike for 7 yrs and will be thru hiking a nobo, flipflop from HarpersFerry to Mt K.Should be backpackin the third week of April.I'll use a HH Hammock, w/ a Big Agnes bag combo.
    Hope to see you on the trail.
    gdeup

Images

Just to play devil's advocate here: If you head south from HF to Springer in March to avoid the crowds, aren't you heading straight into the beast by doing this??

I'd think you'd spend the first few weeks alone, but would hit the rush head on between southern virginia and the smokies.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

aka Scrabble

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here: If you head south from HF to Springer in March to avoid the crowds, aren't you heading straight into the beast by doing this??

I'd think you'd spend the first few weeks alone, but would hit the rush head on between southern virginia and the smokies.
    It may well be more crowded than I would like. However, I think it will be far less crowded than if we were to start at springer for 2 reasons:

They say only about 25% of thru-hikers actually finish the trail, and I think the majority of those that don't will end up leaving the trail before the ~500 mile mark where we would come across them. The proportion that finishes will drop even further this year if the movie based on 'A walk in the woods' comes out.

Secondly, even if we do come across everyone who starts, that first 500 miles or so will give them an opportunity to spread out quite a bit, meaning that while we might have to deal with crowds for a little longer, they won't be nearly as severe.

there is no "Walk In the Woods" movie coming out.

Hey! I'm planning on doing a flip flop hike starting in early May, and am looking for a hiking partner, or at least someone who would like to start out together. I plan on starting at Harpers Ferry and going NOBO, then returning by bus to Harpers Ferry and going south. I'm pretty flexible on dates and itinerary, so send me a message if you're interested! email- [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    I'am startint at Kahtahdin in June going to HF. then Springer @ back to HF. Would I miss the bad weather, if I do it this Way?
    Audrey
    It's warmer in N GA in December than it is in HF. Maybe you should just keep going south.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++