WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Sleeping On The Trail

I'M Considering posting a POLL on this question, but anyway here goes:

With the the variation in length of days and nights on the trail, I'm curious to know how this has affected thru-hikers sleep patterns throughout the course of the hike.
    For example, I would imagine at the beginning and ending of a typical NOBO thru, over 10 hours of each day would be darkness. Do you sleep that long? Longer? Right now, I can sleep a minute past 8 hours. Of course I'm not thru-hiking either.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ThruHiker View Post
    I'M Considering posting a POLL on this question, but anyway here goes:

With the the variation in length of days and nights on the trail, I'm curious to know how this has affected thru-hikers sleep patterns throughout the course of the hike.
    For example, I would imagine at the beginning and ending of a typical NOBO thru, over 10 hours of each day would be darkness. Do you sleep that long? Longer? Right now, I can sleep a minute past 8 hours. Of course I'm not thru-hiking either.

Anytime i go backpacking I always seem to sleep a little off my first couple nights out. Then I sleep like a rock from a little after sun down to right before sun up.

Images

People generally sleep longer when camping because when it's dark for awhile you simply go to sleep and when it's light you get up. I imagine if you've just hiked 10-30 miles you will sleep long and hard.

Images

When days are shortest, mornings and evenings are coolest. The number of hours spent hiking are less and the number spent in camp more than when days are longer.

For most northbounders, this additional time in camp is probably desireable as is the additional sleep. Later when one is in better condition, camp chores can be handled more expeditiously and more hours of the day can be devoted to hiking.

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

My experiences have been that I go to bed earlier (around 9ish) and wake up about the same time (7), but I wake up quite often from discomfort, noises, what have you. Earplugs are a must for me! So I guess I sleep for a longer amount of time, but less consistently.

Lets see... walk to the road crossing...hitch to the bar...drink till noon, eat lunch.....pack a six in the backpack...hitch back to the trail....hike till 6...eat supper...hike till dark...drink the six....sleep till time to walk to the next road crossing----no difference, same as home.
    geek

One thing I was wondering about on a similar note is sleeping on your side or belly vs on your back. Mummy bags are set up for sleeping on your back, but for the life of me I haven't been able to sleep except on my side for years. Hopefully on my thru I'll be able to change that, or just get used to shimmying the sleeping bag onto its side.

Mummy bags are set up for sleeping on your back, but for the life of me I haven't been able to sleep except on my side for years.
    Maybe they once were, but they can be slept in any position including on your stomach. You can either leave the bag facing up and lay on your side in the bag with your face handing out the side, or you can drag the bag to the side as well. If its real cold and you need to close the hood up, hang a finger out the opening and drag it with your face. Of cource when its not all that cold, unzip it and use it as a quilt. Try using it in your bed at night a few times to learn the tricks. Or for a more accurate feel, try sleeping on carpeting instead of your bed.
    As far as the original question... Sleep as long as you want, just be quite in the mornings or you will get a lot of tired thru-hikers real mad at you. You will be so tired and sore (and warm in your bag), you may just want to sit in your bag until the sun comes up.
    TB
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Journal Entries
    Images

Default sleepin on the trail...

i dont normally sleep well while out on the trail...

but, after tossin' & turnin' overall...i sleep about 6 or so hours...

my alarm clock is SUNRISE!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I never sleep ON the trail ...don't want to get trampled !

Just kidding, but the title of the thread made me think of that.

For me, the change from not hiking to hiking makes me pretty tired at first. In fact, during the first 2 weeks or so of my thru I was so tired at around 6:30 - 7PM that I sometimes wanted to crash without eating - - big mistake.

Once my legs/metabolism adjusted to the trail routine I found I could hang in until about 8 PM but shortly after that I was generally cutting ZZZZ's.

On the flip side though ...I tend to wake up pretty early when I'm hiking. Typically by 5:30 or so my eyes are open and I am ready to start fixing breakfast and starting my day.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

at home I sleep 11pm - 6am average.
    on the trail in summer i sleep 9pm - 5:30am average.
    on the trail in winter i sleep 8pm - 5am average.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Doesn't seem to bother me too much, but then again I read a lot in my tent. Usually asleep by 9 or 10, and awake around 4:30. Don't know why, but it's like clockwork on the trail, no alarm needed. At home I need 3 alarms to get up at 5 or 6!

Images

i sleep any were i hang my hammock neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i sleep any were i hang my hammock neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/

my favorite setup neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=13237&c=577

++ New Posts ++