WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: How do you feel newbies are treated here at WB?

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • Very well.

23 46.00%
  • Mostly OK.

16 32.00%
  • Neutrally.

5 10.00%
  • Not so OK.

5 10.00%
  • Very poorly

1 2.00%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Newbie Handling?

How do you feel newbies are treated here at WB?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

they're treated just fine.

better here than many of the other forums which have more trolls

I think sometimes they're intimidated.

People come on kinda strong here at WB sometimes, and I think it's a good idea to check out the "Number of Posts" figure sometimes before responding to someone, and maybe taking it down a notch when you realize you're talking to a new guy. People come here to learn, not to be preached at or yelled at, and people that get a bad feeling or bad reception here when they're new aren't likely to stick around. Nor are they willing to speak well of the website to their friends or other people they talk to about the Trail. First impressions can be important.

Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of "newbies" are lurkers, i.e. they haven't yet posted, in some cases, because they don't want to get jumped on. EVERYONE should feel comfortable contributing to Whiteblaze, regardless of how "new" they are.

So the next time someone poses a question that old veterans might think is a silly one, or the next time someone posts their gear list with some odd things on it, it couldn't hurt to be a bit kinder with the responses.

Every thru-hiker was a "newbie" once, and for a lot of them, this wasn't a long time ago, either. There is no more important purpose for this website than to help new people with ideas and suggestions that will help them to have a better time on the A.T. That's really what we're all about here. When you're posting to someone who's obviously new to hiking, or new to the A.T., keep this in mind, and talk to them the way YOU would have wanted to be treated way back when.

Cuz "way back when", for some folks, might have been just a year or two ago.

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Default Great.

WB was the first forum I'd ever participated. As a complete newbie to posting etiquette and long-distance hiking, I have to say thanks to the WB community.

Lots of long-term WB members are willing to continually respond to the repetitive questions (thanks Footslogger, Dino, BigCranky, Mags, MedicineMan, Moxie, RAT, Kerosene, Toolshed, Smile, HOI, Hammock Engineer, Hammock Hanger, Mowgli16, Blissful, JohnnySwank, MountainSquid, Jack Tarlin, and all of you!) that we newbie long-distance hikers and newbie posters bring up.

I think it's pretty rare for a newbie's question to go unanswered. That, in itself is a testament to positive treatment.
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Images

I really see newbies getting treated for the most part like everyone else, meaning the response is often dictated by the tone and topic of their post rather than their post count. I started reading and posting in 2002 and got great advice, most of my trip planning was done right here and I felt welcome and comfortable posting right from the very beginning.

Unfortunately there are a few topics here that always seem to get really heated in a hurry and sometimes newbies run afoul of those topics (guns on the trail, dogs on the trail, Wingfoot, Warren Doyle, few others), those threads are often the biggest and most updated so it could give a false impression that the community is unfriendly.

I can't think of any normal hiking questions, like resupply questions or what to carry questions getting heated, even if some of the "pros" have answered them 500 times.

A few people just invite disaster and that just can't be helped. For the most part those that come along get as well as they give. Better than most places one might find oneself.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Default I liked it....

I felt welcome immediately. I was never yelled at to go do a search for a question I asked for the 1000th time, that was nice. I know how to search, I like to search, but sometimes it's better to ask, start dialog, follow up questions, more dialog and so-forth, makes for good "Guided Discovery" type learning. Or like Hillary(spit spit) said, "So let's talk, let's chat, let's start a dialog about your ideas and mine."
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Note the increasing membership.

Many of whom don't post.

Well, the newer ones are joining rgardless, the number at the bottom of the screen increases daily...

Images

Default Newbies love this place...

Where else can you get this kind of input?

Where else can you post without the “administrator(s)” forcing his/her opinion into every post?

I have never had an entire thread disappear here because an Admin’s opinion was opposed by the majority of posters.

Whiteblaze has solid information from experienced people who tell it like they see it. For the most part they respect one another’s opinion even when they disagree.

The numbers say it all. I come to Whiteblaze and there are 300 people online. On other sites I visit I find only 5 or 10 online these days. I guess all legends fade away over time.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Most newbies are treated well. Once in a while I see something said to a newbie that makes me cringe, but overall I feel WB does an excellent job of bringing newbies into the 'family'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Many of whom don't post.
    It's the same situation on every Internet forum I've ever been on, regardless of the topic.

Images

I'm a newbie....posted earlier this year. I was treated great..(Starlyte, LWolf and others)....got great information that made for a wonderful first hike. At least first hike in a long time....
    I'm hooked, now I read or at least glance at WB every day.....

Hello everyone, I need help!

For some reason there are a bunch of threads that I can't post in!!! The "message" box turns grey and I can't write anything in it. Also, I tried to send a private message and the same thing happened. thought maybe it's b/c I'm a new user and I have restricted privileges, but I can't find anything about that in the site info.

I would've posted this in another thread or made my own, but like I said I'm unable to. I can't figure out why some threads let me post and most others won't. Help!!!!!

Images

I think they are treated good, unless they start out stirring the pot with topics like global warming, "cruelty free hiking", etc.

Why was the poll closed after 50 votes?

You may have to join certain "groups" to post to them, such as politics and sensitive trail subjects. Also, once a thread is closed by the administrators, you cannot post in it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/prof...editusergroups

Being a new user does not restrict you in any way. You're either registered or not. Donating allows you to edit your posts.

You can join "groups" at that link.

Images

I am a newbie, and I can tell you I've been treated with nothing but respect, and many people here have given me wonderful advice and tips on planning my hike and getting my equipment list. What an encouraging group of individuals!!

Quote Originally Posted by musicwoman View Post
    I am a newbie, and I can tell you I've been treated with nothing but respect, and many people here have given me wonderful advice and tips on planning my hike and getting my equipment list. What an encouraging group of individuals!!
    Yes we are.

IMHO very few people here at WB are confrontational... unless you get into sensitive issues, e.g. mooning the cog railway.

I too have learned a tremendous amount of info here and am grateful that people generally have the patience to answer some of my less intelligent/informed (read: dumbass) questions. That being said, a lot of questions posed by newbies have already been asked and answered, so doing a quick search can pay off.

Some info can also be gleaned by checking the manufacturers own website. HH and Spears, for example, are great sites to check for info on hammocks and hammock camping.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++