WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: How do you feel newbies are treated here at WB?

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • Very well.

23 46.00%
  • Mostly OK.

16 32.00%
  • Neutrally.

5 10.00%
  • Not so OK.

5 10.00%
  • Very poorly

1 2.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I think being a newb is sometimes the reason we don't post often. I sometimes feel like I am here to learn and don't have enough info most of the time to tell somebody else what to do or how to do it. Often times a posts' name or lead-in might mislead us and we think it is about something and it isn't so we are only surfing and no intent on replying.
    Just ask any question and before you know it you will be able to answer someone else's question.

The "quote" button on the bottom right of a post will allow you to quote someone else in your reply.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Just ask any question and before you know it you will be able to answer someone else's question.

The "quote" button on the bottom right of a post will allow you to quote someone else in your reply.
    See I learned something today. I guess it's like becoming a doctor-learn one, do one, teach one.

Images

I am a newbie and have been treated just fine and have learned more about hiking in general (not just the AT) from this site than anywhere. It took me a little while to sort out who was who on here and I have enjoyed reading the bantor! I think it would be a hoot to have a live roundtable discussion with L. Wolf, Jim Adams, Jack Tarlin, The Weasel, Matthewski, Sgt Rock, Warren Doyle, Footslogger, Tipi Walter, Zelph, Sarbar, Marta, and a few others all moderated by She-Dino. I would pay good money to sit in on that!! Has this ever happened at Trail Days or any of the other get togethers?

Images

We do get together - well most of us. Not everyone can make it - and not everyone gets along LOL.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default i`m brand new

i am brand new here, so please "handle whit care" fragile!

2010 complete

I almost left, but learned to ignore the posts from the forumites that believe their way is the only way. I almost felt different until I went hiking and ran into bunches of people like me.

I am also new to this Website and feel I have been treated well. I get good advice and good laughs at some of the comments. I know that some comments need to be taken with a grain of salt and are only opinions of the person writing them. I feel that I don't get the full use of this site only because of the distance from the trail, the inability to be trail as much as some of you and it has been a long time since I was on the trail. Maybe I should start a "move me closer to the trail fund". I wonder if the contributions would be tax deductible. Thanks for a great website.
    SoonerTex

Quote Originally Posted by J5man View Post
    I am a newbie and have been treated just fine and have learned more about hiking in general (not just the AT) from this site than anywhere. It took me a little while to sort out who was who on here and I have enjoyed reading the bantor! I think it would be a hoot to have a live roundtable discussion with L. Wolf, Jim Adams, Jack Tarlin, The Weasel, Matthewski, Sgt Rock, Warren Doyle, Footslogger, Tipi Walter, Zelph, Sarbar, Marta, and a few others all moderated by She-Dino. I would pay good money to sit in on that!! Has this ever happened at Trail Days or any of the other get togethers?
    it happens. show up and hang with us. i'm the biggest dink of all!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by J5man View Post
    Though it may be hard to believe, a lot of us are quite introverted, and tend to be quiet--and very, very polite--in face-to-face encounters. (Not all, though--off line some people are freed from the constraints and asterisks of a moderated site. )

To liven things up...that's where the alcohol comes into play.

I'm glad you are enjoying WB.

Cheers!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    it happens. show up and hang with us. i'm the biggest dink of all!
    Ha ha, not a bit humble are you.
    A t-shirt never made:
    I only do what the White Blazes tell me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bunyan View Post
    Ha ha, not a bit humble are you.
    it's hard to be humble when you're a Marine.

J5man:

A lot of the folks you mentioned above will be at the ALDHA Gathering next weekend in Gettysburg. I hope you and a lot of the other new folks can make it.

For more information, and a full schedule of events, check out www.aldha.org

Default newbies

this site rules

Images

Whenever I meet any of you guys, the first beer is on me!!...........then so I can get experience at "yogi'ng", you can buy me one!! haha.

Been away from here for awhile, but as a newbie I feel I was treated very well, learned alot from alot of people. "other" sites can be a bit condesending to those who are not part of the click. BWD

Images

I joined a long time ago and for a while I lurked as my hiking decreased until I got a new hiking buddy. The information has always been informative and even if I did have a run in with someone. It's no sweat b/c we all have one common interest and joy the AT.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I will say that when I first started posting, I was a bit taken aback at a reply I received. It was from someone who is generally HIGHLY regarded on this forum.
    I was going to apologize on the off chance that I said something wrong, until I realized that I'm not "highly regarded."

Quote Originally Posted by imobileman View Post
    My feeling is that WB members treated me very decently and it has been worthwile in preparing for my March 2008 thruhike attempt.
    Go, baby! Hike that thing into the ground! Seriously!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

formerly amazonwoman

I think that newbies here are treated great, I was. I felt at home immediately. Hikers are a great bunch, very accepting. **EMOTIONAL MOMENT WARNING** sniff, sniff I love you guys!!
    AW

Images

As someone who has only been on this forum for a little under a week, I would have to say this is the warmest welcome I have recieved out of all the places I lurk and or post on. My questions are taken seriously, opinions are presented in a professional manner, and advice is given with intergrity and respect. I do however believe that much of the way newbies are treated relates to how they carry themselves. I think it always important to present yourself as a newcomer and as such that you should take care not to make blatant stupid remarks that are obviously wrong. One of my major pet peeves is the idea of a simple thanks. People are taking their time out of their day to discuss and advise me on my questions and remarks, and as such I believe a simple thankyou and/or acknowledgment of that person's advice and comments is deserved. I know there are trolls out there in cyber world who pride themselves in being the all knowing and I take it in stride because for every sour apple there will always be 10 others who are more than willing to help. So once again to all of those who have helped me out with my questions and guided me with trimming my pack weight I extend my thanks and gratitude for taking time out of your day to assist me in my endeavors. It's people like all of you here at WB that add fuel to my fire to persue my hiking, helps reassure me that most be are inherently good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    As someone who has only been on this forum for a little under a week, I would have to say this is the warmest welcome I have recieved out of all the places I lurk and or post on. My questions are taken seriously, opinions are presented in a professional manner, and advice is given with intergrity and respect. I do however believe that much of the way newbies are treated relates to how they carry themselves. I think it always important to present yourself as a newcomer and as such that you should take care not to make blatant stupid remarks that are obviously wrong. One of my major pet peeves is the idea of a simple thanks. People are taking their time out of their day to discuss and advise me on my questions and remarks, and as such I believe a simple thankyou and/or acknowledgment of that person's advice and comments is deserved. I know there are trolls out there in cyber world who pride themselves in being the all knowing and I take it in stride because for every sour apple there will always be 10 others who are more than willing to help. So once again to all of those who have helped me out with my questions and guided me with trimming my pack weight I extend my thanks and gratitude for taking time out of your day to assist me in my endeavors. It's people like all of you here at WB that add fuel to my fire to persue my hiking, helps reassure me that most be are inherently good.
    You are wise in understanding as well as in location.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++