WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: How do you feel newbies are treated here at WB?

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • Very well.

23 46.00%
  • Mostly OK.

16 32.00%
  • Neutrally.

5 10.00%
  • Not so OK.

5 10.00%
  • Very poorly

1 2.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    I think they are treated good, unless they start out stirring the pot with topics like global warming, "cruelty free hiking", etc.

Why was the poll closed after 50 votes?
    There was a time limit on the poll.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

i think of myself as a newb...and would say i have been treated well

Generally very well. Though I have noticed on the political forum a conservative is treated like a baby treats a diaper.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Quote Originally Posted by cannonball View Post
    Generally very well. Though I have noticed on the political forum a conservative is treated like a baby treats a diaper.
    Liberals aren't treated too well, either.

Images

I would have to say both sides eat each other. Tribal warfare at it's best.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Same as thrubees.

Well, the nice thing about 50 respondents is that the math is easy. Only 12 % of respondents felt that newbies were treated less than OK and 78% felt that newbies were treated more than OK or better.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Gator is right, but we need to work to reduce the 12% even further, as well as improve the 10% who think it "neutral". New members are welcomed, valued, and universally the goal is to help them any way we can to do a good hike on the Trail.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Two years ago, on the AT, a lot of people I talked to had never heard of WB. This past summer, almost everybody had heard of it (and recognized me by my trail name, but, that's beside the point). A lot of them said they just lurked because they saw a lot of flaming going on. Just saying. It seems to me that it's gotten a lot more civil lately.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Gator is right, but we need to work to reduce the 12% even further, as well as improve the 10% who think it "neutral". New members are welcomed, valued, and universally the goal is to help them any way we can to do a good hike on the Trail.

TW
    Always putting the ole Weasel spin on things. Eighty-eight percent of the people don't see it as problem. If you can find the other five people who voted with you, perhaps the six of you can work on it.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

It is still a problem. Most people that vote with their feet don't respond to this. And those that vote vocally on the way out (A few hit our accounts) have good constructive critisizm. One thing I will say is it is amazing how there are some that say there is a lot of political bickering as their reason to leave - but the opt into that optional forum and don't opt out when it bothers them.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I will say that when I first started posting, I was a bit taken aback at a reply I received. It was from someone who is generally HIGHLY regarded on this forum. For several months, I just refused to read any of this person's posts, and to this day this is one person I have no desire to actually meet. This is probably my loss, but as other's have said, first impressions are important.
    I think EVERYONE should follow Jack's advice about taking a glance at the number of posts someone has made before using their post for joke material.

Generally the forum is welcoming.

Hi I'm one of the newbies & would like to say even though I have only gotten in on a couple of posts people have been very nice & helpfull (ie Zelph). If I had to come up with something to make better it would be small, like having more people reply to posts. 200 people may view a post & only 2-3 answer. That's why people post is to hear what others think, know, or just want to say so let it rip the more the bettter. Thanks Jeff

Images

Good point. I think in that case though when Zelph answers about alcohol stoves there isn't much left to say.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I think sometimes they're intimidated.

People come on kinda strong here at WB sometimes, and I think it's a good idea to check out the "Number of Posts" figure sometimes before responding to someone, and maybe taking it down a notch when you realize you're talking to a new guy....
    Very well put. I agree, being a shy person who is trying to join in at times. I have not had any problems.
    Last edited by dixicritter; 09-26-2007 at 19:27. Reason: to fix coding

I joined WB 6-29-07. On 7-21-07 I made my 1st post and a total of 26 to this date of which 12 asked questions including 2 that started a question thread. My feeling is that WB members treated me very decently and it has been worthwile in preparing for my March 2008 thruhike attempt. While checking the many threads of interest, I have noticed that a (few) members seem to have adopted a critical attitude toward some of the other members. This took me by surprise, I soon learned to skip over their posts. Personally I think WB could be an even better network if personal attacks were via private messages. More newcomers might be less timid and ask questions instead of just reading threads. I know that I have learned from threads with questions and answers I had not even thought of. Every question has value, also, new answers regardless of how many times it is asked. To all of you who post, thank you, I am humbled by learning how little I know.
    taking the high roads and the low roads

I don't post a lot but the few times that I have, I've found people who responded to be very polite, friendly, and receptive. I do hesitate to post a bit more on here, just because at I feel like 80% of the subject matter that I think of has already been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by imobileman View Post
    Personally I think WB could be an even better network if personal attacks were via private messages.
    Ummm, I respectfully beg to differ. I think a message sent directly to a person becomes even more personal and more likely to become hurtful. I would like to think that in a public forum, people tend to think twice before they plunge in and criticize, and if it's in a thread where others can participate there typically are many others willing to at least see both sides of the story, or even come to your defense. I think WB would be a fantastic network if there was no possibility of personal attacks at all, but realistically, I know that it will never happen. But I truly hope that no one ever attacks another person in the privacy of a message. At least have the balls to do it in public so that others can call you out. And if you are going to criticize, do it in a respectful, non-personal way. No name calling, no aggressiveness, no self rightousness. Occasionally I am thoroughly entertained by the disagreements on here, though.

Images

i had a bad experience as a newbie using a rather complicated (to me) system of posting gear reviews on an unnamed forum. i'm edumacated, gots a degree, and scrawl and talk the king's english (though i generally don't capitalize). however, i don't do html or web pages. i've yet to post on that site due to an administrator's rudeness.

i was well treated when i joined WhiteBlaze. Troll probably doesn't remember it, but he helped fix some problems i had early on with my login.

and then i went and jumped on a newbie awhile later. her log-in was Deb-something, i think. the thread was something about purifying bathing water. i resisted for awhile, but when someone else started to mock her ignorance, i too jumped in.

still don't know why i did it. in my defense, i was having a bad day. but that doesn't really matter. i knew better, and i shouldn't have posted anything at all if i was that cranky. i think it was one of the Dinos who told us to back off, and i'm grateful that they did... it reminded me what it was like as a newb, you know-that fear of how i'd be accepted. i acknowledged my rudeness online, and wrote her a PM apology, but i still feel bad. the plus side is that we have many posters (like the Dinos, Jack Tarlin, Wolf, Rock, et al) who will defend a newb and keep idiots and smart alecs like myself in line. It also taught me a lesson that applies everywhere, not just online.

overall, i think newbies are treated well, and as has been mentioned, there are folks here who patiently answer the same questions every year as the learning cycle comes around yet again. asking a question and listening to the responses is a lot different than looking up an old series and reading it... sorta like discussing philosopher over a beer with friends vs reading plato in the library by yourself...

Newb here (and if I can figure out how to quote somebody I wouldn't have to cut and paste it here): for jeffjenn:
    "If I had to come up with something to make better it would be small, like having more people reply to posts. 200 people may view a post & only 2-3 answer."
    I think being a newb is sometimes the reason we don't post often. I sometimes feel like I am here to learn and don't have enough info most of the time to tell somebody else what to do or how to do it. Often times a posts' name or lead-in might mislead us and we think it is about something and it isn't so we are only surfing and no intent on replying.

Default Advice to newbies

Participating in online forums is kind of an art. It is much harder to convey meaning without body language and facial expressions to back it up. And, unfortunately, it is also too easy to say some things that you would not say face to face.

Advice to newbies: Be careful what you say and how you say it (add a smiley to convey you are joking or whatever). Beware of and ignore trollers and be careful not to become one. And, by all means, if you have a question ask it, there are no dumb questions. There is always someone willing to give helpful advice.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++