WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Watchoo Readin'?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Default My top three

In no particular order, I love these authors:

David Foster Wallace: Recently killed himself, thus depriving the rest of us his talents. Kind of an egomaniac, but that tends to attract me to authors.

1. "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." His most accessible book, which is a collection of essays. The essay which doubles as the title would probably appeal to a lot of hikers. His piece about Michael Joyce is the most thought-provoking and intelligent thing I've ever read about sports.

2. "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men." A collection of short stories that are really brilliant. I've read rumors of one/some of them being turned into a film.

3. "Infinite Jest." His opus. Probably a little to heavy (both literally and thematically) for a thru-hike.

4. "Oblivion." Another collection of short stories. Some real gems here.

Dave Eggers. His "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" actually lives up to its boastful title, though I doubt he believes it does.

Tom Robbins. While I've enjoyed every novel he's written (with the lone exception of "Skinny Legs and All"), I will never be convinced that anything he's written approaches the greatness of "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates." Simply a perfect novel. I can't help but read it once a year.

Roald Dahl. My favorite author as a child. Amazingly, his stuff does not get stale as I've grown into an adult. "James and the Giant Peach" in particular still kills me.

I, as well, am open to suggestions. Especially from those who have appreciated the above. I'm afraid I've hit a bit of a dry spell in terms of authors who really do it for me.

Peter

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Solemates

Right now I'm reading "Soulmates" (Lessons on Life, Love & Marriage from the Appalachian Trail) by my friends Randy Motz & Georgia Harris... better known on WB as "Windtalker" and "Mom".

A bold fresh piece of humanity

Images

"Drood", by Dan Simmons; heavily researched historical fiction about the final years of Charles Dickens' life and the novel he never finished: The Mystery of Edwin Drood. As narrated from the point of view of fellow author Wilkie Collins. Very, very dark fiction, full of death and killing.

BTW, apparently Dickens had a habit of walking 20 miles a day, even in his later years. I think I like the guy.
    "Only in the woods can one find solitude without loneliness."-Robert Traver
    Flickr

Default Remember the Carrot

This is a book written by "Small World" about his AT hike in 2000. I'm a character in it. I'm also a character out of it. http://www.rememberthecarrot.com/

[QUOTE=Funkmeister;790291]Just finished 'Big Dead Place' by Nick Johnson. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if anyone has had aspirations for working as the support staff for the NSF in Antartica. This man is a genius. Wish he wrote it 10 years ago.[/COLOR]

Interesting stuff, my brother in law was at McMurdo for a couple seasons and told me many of the guys there hike on the AT during there time off.

"Relativity: The Special and General Theory", yeah, by A. Einstein; soon after he published his general theory in 1915 he wrote this book for chumps like me who aren't braniacs. It's a tough read unless you're fairly advanced math-wise, but he has an engaging style - not stuffy or pedantic. I caught a glimmer of understanding for a minute there then everything went dark but I stumbled through and finished it to get my money's worth ($5).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop rat View Post
    "Relativity: The Special and General Theory", yeah, by A. Einstein; soon after he published his general theory in 1915 he wrote this book for chumps like me who aren't braniacs. It's a tough read unless you're fairly advanced math-wise, but he has an engaging style - not stuffy or pedantic. I caught a glimmer of understanding for a minute there then everything went dark but I stumbled through and finished it to get my money's worth ($5).
    Does he admit that his theory of relativity is flawed in the book?

I'm reading Treasure Island again.

"The Road" by Cormac Mcarthy for the 3rd time. Lets hope none of us ever have to take a hike like this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma 98 View Post
    "The Road" by Cormac Mcarthy for the 3rd time. Lets hope none of us ever have to take a hike like this.
    I haven't gotten around to that one yet, its on the shelf. But if its worth reading 3 times, I know it will be very satisfying.
    "Only in the woods can one find solitude without loneliness."-Robert Traver
    Flickr

A complete collection of Sherlock Homes adventures - there's a lot of them!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

[*]Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications[/*], by D. A. Carson, Zondervant, 2005, Grand Rapids, MI.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

More haunting than satisfying. But a very good book.

Images

Burning All Illusions, by David Edwards. Its very interesting and very true

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
++ New Posts ++