WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Exclamation Pulled muscle + upcoming hike = ?

I'm leaving today for a hike starting at Amicalola. The problem is that I pulled a muscle yesterday while moving furniture. This doesn't feel like anything permanent (I've had back issues in the distant past. This is nothing like that).

So, would a hot tub help loosen the muscles? I'm taking Ibuprofen, but that may take awhile. I do not plan on stopping my hike before I start. I just want to know how to make this easier.

Any suggestions?

BTW, this'll be my fifth hike through GA, but my first up the approach trail. I'm pretty psyched.

Images

The treatment for muscle strains is the traditional, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Although from what I know, icing is best done asap after the initial injury.

I take it this injury is to a back muscle? If you're sure it's just a pull, I'd say, go ahead, take Vitamin I, and be ready for it to hurt. I ran a marathon a couple months ago on a severely pulled hip muscle, but I was 100% sure it was a muscle problem. It didn't tickle, but it was do-able.

Jane in CT

I never hike without Tiger Balm rub. It is similar to Icyhot/bengay except that it actually smells good and doesn't contain all the chemicals that Icyhot has. It only provides temporary relief, but after a long day of hiking it can really help with your shoulders, back, or whatever area you are experiencing pain or soreness. I would get the sports strength one if you were going to buy it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Avoid the hot tub or any heat therapy for the first 3-5 days after a muscle pull. You want to reduce swelling to avoid further tissue damage.

I also use the RICE method, although I've modified to RIICE (Rest, Ice, Ibuprofen, Compression, Elevation). Of course, it's pretty difficult to compress and elevate your back, and you won't be giving it any rest, so the best you can do is I-I! Even then, it may be difficult to find ice on the trail, in which case you might want to consider bringing a few ice packs even though they weigh a ton and you won't be able to dispose of them until Woody Gap.

As for ibuprofen (or alternatively naproxen as found in Aleve), consider taking up to a double dose for the next few days (assuming you have no indicated medical issues for these drugs) and then taper off to regular dosing if you can. Regardless, you really don't want to be relying on anti-inflammatories like this for more than a week unless you're under a doctor's care. Also, recognize that high doses can mask a light sprain, turning it into a bad sprain if you don't rest.

If things don't work out, then get off the trail for 3-7 days until you feel better.

Finally, for all you aspiring hikers out there, avoid all sports, and heavy lifting for 2-4 weeks before the start of your hike!!!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Go to a massage therapist and have him/her work on that muscle group. They can work wonders. Find someone local that is good. Call around and get some recommendations. Mine brought me back from a persistent back problem, along with an occasional visit to a chiropractor. Good Luck.

Don't feel bad. I fell down the stairs a week before my hike! I had to postpone it for a week... I hurt my heel. My heel was fine.. The rest of me was in shock.. Pretty painful acclimation all the way around.... Just postpone the hike a little while...

Images

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    I take it this injury is to a back muscle? If you're sure it's just a pull, I'd say, go ahead, take Vitamin I, and be ready for it to hurt. I ran a marathon a couple months ago on a severely pulled hip muscle, but I was 100% sure it was a muscle problem. It didn't tickle, but it was do-able.

Jane in CT
    I wasn't absolutely sure yesterday, so decided to wait until Wenesday. Today I'm much, much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by OntheRoad View Post
    I never hike without Tiger Balm rub. It is similar to Icyhot/bengay except that it actually smells good and doesn't contain all the chemicals that Icyhot has.
    I've heard others say the same. I'll see about getting some today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Finally, for all you aspiring hikers out there, avoid all sports, and heavy lifting for 2-4 weeks before the start of your hike!!!
    I'd never heard that one before. Where'd you see that at? Not doubting, just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by eyewall View Post
    Go to a massage therapist and have him/her work on that muscle group. They can work wonders.
    Got a Shiatsu massage yesterday afternoon. Probably, that's why I feel better today.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    Don't feel bad. I fell down the stairs a week before my hike! I had to postpone it for a week... I hurt my heel. My heel was fine.. The rest of me was in shock.. Pretty painful acclimation all the way around.... Just postpone the hike a little while...
    That turned out to be advice worth following. Besides, it was as cold as a witches elbow last night!

P.S. Wolf: Does that buffet at the State Park run every day, or just weekends?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I'd never heard that one before. Where'd you see that at? Not doubting, just curious.
    This is just my rule. Don't do something that will ruin that hike you've been waiting to do for a year by spraining your ankle playing a sport that you can play anytime (not that I'd do anything that dumb ).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Not a pulled muscle. I have a knot coming out of the right of one of the Lumbar discs. I'm going to try to hike a bit anyway. My back feels okay with the pack on, especially since I have a heat-molded belt.

++ New Posts ++