WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mindi View Post
    I'm starting to panic. I feel like I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I got my companion today and I started marking little things in it, then I realized I was being silly..how the heck do I know what shelter I'm going to end up at?
    I'm worrying over piddling things and once again trying to overanalyze. I thought I was over that but it keeps sneaking up on me and before I know it I'm trying to plan every last detail again. Aaack!
    I just know we'll all feel better once we're out there.

Four weeks from tonight I will be at Stover Creek - the new shelter, after shedding some tears on Springer Mtn.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Just put in my 2 (and a half) weeks notic tonight! My boss was talking about giving me a raise, and I couldnt lead him on any more. Oh well.

Whew, I'm glad I don't have to worry about the work thing, anyway. I put my notice in a month ago, and now I have a new boss who already knows I'm leaving.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in freaking out, though. I seem to be vacillating between overwhelming excitement and being super-ready to get on the trail, and practically ready to throw up with nervousness and feeling like I need more time.

I've just decided to set my goals low starting out. If I can walk more than 2 miles in a day and manage to pitch my tent every night, I'll consider my first week a success. Can't wait to meet you all out there!

Mindi
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Images

My enthusiam is greatly building to get out there. I moved back in with my parents after my exfiance and I broke up... My mom, (as she always has) is beginning to get on my last nerve, Complaining about things like how I don't make my bed... Jesus, if she only knew how I'll be living on the trail.
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

You're 29, Socrates? Complaining about mom? Jeebus, by the time I was 18 my parents had pissed me off once too often. Got a cheap apartment (well, a room, really.) End of story.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    You're 29, Socrates? Complaining about mom? Jeebus, by the time I was 18 my parents had pissed me off once too often. Got a cheap apartment (well, a room, really.) End of story.
    When we broke up, I left her with the apartment and had to start over financialy and didn't want to live in Virginia anymore. I've only been here 2 months and it's not like I've been living here since I was 18. My mom has alzheimers and is not herself so you'd be having issues too.
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

I moved out when I was 17 then moved back at 19 - then moved out again and then moved in again. Now I am going to leave for 5 or 6 months and hopefully move out permanently when I get back.

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Default Feeling pretty darn good and amazingly impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    How about You?

Sandalwood
    I feel absolutely positively completely without a single doubt that the trail is exactly where I want to be and I can bearly stand waiting these next 8 weeks.

I can't wait to be at the base of the approach trail crying my eyes out (yeah, lame, but I can't help getting emotional at the start of a big challenge) and with the most ridiculous smile on my face. In fact, that's probably how the first week will go. After that, I'll probably settle down.

Hope to see & meet you all along the trail!
    Laura
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint View Post
    I feel absolutely positively completely without a single doubt that the trail is exactly where I want to be and I can bearly stand waiting these next 8 weeks.

I can't wait to be at the base of the approach trail crying my eyes out (yeah, lame, but I can't help getting emotional at the start of a big challenge) and with the most ridiculous smile on my face. In fact, that's probably how the first week will go. After that, I'll probably settle down.

Laura
    You, girls!

are weird.

jk

PS

If i were a girl maybe I would cry when happy,giggle when afraid, and laugh when ....??

Go, Laura, Go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mambo_tango View Post
    I moved out when I was 17 then moved back at 19 - then moved out again and then moved in again. Now I am going to leave for 5 or 6 months and hopefully move out permanently when I get back.
    You sure are a movin' kind of woman. No grass will grow under your feet.
    So, MTango, when are you starting? How determined are you to do the whole Trail?

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Yeah, all those emotions. I have found that as the time draws nearer, things around me get laid back, easier, nicer, more energetic, more loving. I think my letting go of this "life" and moving on with my trail life has affected me already. I can't wait to see what's out "there...."
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    You sure are a movin' kind of woman. No grass will grow under your feet.
    So, MTango, when are you starting? How determined are you to do the whole Trail?
    Pretty determined. I start April 1st. I am throwing myself a huge going away party for myself about a week before that. I have such a big mouth about hiking it that not finishing isn't much of an option for me.

Pretty determined. I start April 1st. I am throwing myself a huge going away party for myself about a week before that. I have such a big mouth about hiking it that not finishing isn't much of an option for me.
    Ha haha You may have a big mouth but I bet you will finish on top of Katahdin.Do you have the gear that you want? I hope you have enough money to have a good trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint View Post
    II can't wait to be at the base of the approach trail crying my eyes out (yeah, lame, but I can't help getting emotional at the start of a big challenge) and with the most ridiculous smile on my face. In fact, that's probably how the first week will go. After that, I'll probably settle down.

Laura

Yes, yes yes!!! I totally agree. In fact I was tearing up earlier this week at the thought of seeing the arch and then the plaque on Springer.

Hey maxNcathy - REAL men cry! My hubby has become progressively more weepy as time goes by. very touching. But I like the shortest verse in the Bible. "Jesus wept". Good enough for Him. he he he

Hiking Blog

I pretty much have what I need for gear.. I still have to get some clothes and a few odds and ends. I don't think money will be too much of an issue although I would like to spend as little as possible.

Journal Entries
    Images

I pretty much have what I need for gear.. I still have to get some clothes and a few odds and ends. I don't think money will be too much of an issue although I would like to spend as little as possible.
    Hey, my hubby got a complete Hubba hubba two man tent today for $40 at our local outdoor shop.

As we say here, never pay retail. None of our stuff we have paid retail, except maybe for my Yak Trax. But we also started gear hunting a year ago.

Hiking Blog

mambo, I am going to have the same incentive to stay on the trail when the going gets tough...I've run my mouth to the whole world about my hike!
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Feeling pretty good. A little stress. Found out a few weeks ago that the little lady can't have any gluten. 4 months back I was planning everything. After a week or two I said, "F*** it". We'll hit towns along the way and fly by the seat of our pants.

Nice idea until you can't eat anything with gluten in it. Which is most hiker food you'd buy in the store. So I've been dehydrating like a mad man. 10 trays going 24/7. Luckly she's only hiking to Harpers Ferry from the south. If she was going all the way we'd be f'ed.

Moral is high though. I talked to my boss(that sucked). We're working out everyday and things are looking good. We'll be on the trail no later that April 10. I'm sure a lot of you will be ahead but we hope we run into some of you. Good luck all and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

REAL men cry!
    Real men do not cry,,, they s**t their pants !!!!! LOL

RAT

I feel great after a meal & some beer. Just spent 3 nights in the Standing Indian Wilderness with 6 inches of snow...83 miles down & 2098 to go...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++