WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Default Allegheny Woodrats?

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I didn't see it, Paul Bunyan did. He and Dethmarch chased them all night.
    I wonder if PB and Dethmarch saw an Allegheny woodrat, a Pennsylvania threatened species?

Rausch Gap Shelter is located on SGL #211 known to many as Saint Anthony's Wilderness, at least part of which is within what's known as the Stony Mountain Woodrat Complex, a Pennsylvania Important Mammal Area (IMA).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I don't recall any post about this, in fact, had no idea about the regulation when I was in PA (whereas everyone knows about the Smokies regulations, etc). Is it posted on signs, etc? Might be good for hikers this year to know about it.
    Many people appear to not realize that north of Harpers Ferry through Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey much of the A.T. is on state-owned land.

Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) regs have been discussed here previously particularly by shelterbuilder and myself. It is often difficult to have a discussion about laws and regulations here when others shout us down and throw up disrespectful posts. We have tried to do what we can to help inform hikers.

PGC posts regulatory signs at all points of entry and has created a sign to help inform A.T. hikers of regs that apply specifically to them. WhiteBlaze has an image of PGC's sign contributed by The Old Fhart in its gallery.

Built in the early 1970s as a result of a special use permit at a time when camping was not permitted at all on SGLs, Rausch Gap Shelter is in a number of ways unique. Last season FD cleaned up many of the posts in this thread to reflect PGC's regs at my request.

Improvements have also been made to ALDHA's Companion to help clarify things. More could be done to inform A.T. hikers about SGLs and other state-owned lands and their regulations which not infrequently differ from the expectations of at least some hikers unfamiliar with these areas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Many people appear to not realize that north of Harpers Ferry through Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey much of the A.T. is on state-owned land.

Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) regs have been discussed here previously particularly by shelterbuilder and myself. It is often difficult to have a discussion about laws and regulations here when others shout us down and throw up disrespectful posts. We have tried to do what we can to help inform hikers.

PGC posts regulatory signs at all points of entry and has created a sign to help inform hikers of regs that apply specifically to the A.T. and hikers. WhiteBlaze has an image of PGC's sign contributed by The Old Fhart in its gallery.

Built in the early 1970s as a result of a special use permit at a time when camping was not permitted at all on SGLs, Rausch Gap Shelter is in a number of ways unique. Last season FD cleaned up many of the posts in this thread to reflect PGC's regs at my request.

Improvements have also been made to ALDHA's Companion to help clarify things. More could be done to inform A.T. hikers about SGLs and other state-owned lands and their regulations which not infrequently differ from the expectations of at least some hikers unfamiliar with these areas.
    Back in the 70's - when I started backpacking - it was illegal to camp anywhere along the AT on State Game Lands, and this was a huge problem for backpackers because much of the 220+ miles of the AT lies on SGL. SOG is correct when he mentions the special-use permit that BMECC and the Game Commission executed for the placement of the Rausch Gap shelter. And the Game Commission almost pulled the permit - several times - during the 80's because of abuses by "weekend warriors". BMECC was forced to set up a weekend caretaker program at the shelter, in order to educate users about proper camping techniques and to "police" the site - even though officially, we had no "police powers". The problems died down over those 3 years, but the Game Commission was still afraid of the problems returning, so they created a set of special regulations just for that area, basically limiting the site's use to "through-hikers", which they defined as hikers starting and ending at 2 different points along the trail that were at least 25 miles apart! Eventually, after the NPS got involved with the PGC regarding the AT on a state-wide basis, a "Memorandum of Understanding" was signed between NPS, ATC, and all of the state land-managing agencies whose land is crossed by the AT. PGC policy was changed to allow "primitive, one-night camping" within the 200' AT corridor anywhere along the trail, subject to a 500' exclusion zone near water sources, road crossings, trailheads, and parking lots.

The special regulations that grew up at this site were, I feel, a "necessary evil" for this very accessable, multiple-use area that is frequented by hikers, hunters, mountain bikers, and equestrians alike. State Game lands were NOT purchased by taxpayer money, but by monies generated by the sale of hunting licenses and special sales taxes on guns and ammunition. The lands were purchased as wildlife habitat, and their purchase was part of a very far-sighted conservation effort. Hikers and other non-hunters get to use these lands FOR FREE, and we all owe the PGC a large "thank you" for it's foresight.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Default Rasch Gap Shelter

That is the best kind of shelter..one where cell phones don't work!!!

And even better..there is great site to pitch tent real close by!

David

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    That is the best kind of shelter..one where cell phones don't work!!!

And even better..there is great site to pitch tent real close by!

David
    Up until this past October, I was still using an old analog cell phone, and I could get a signal out of that valley, but only by hiking straight up the mountainsde from the shelter - about 300 yards uphill through a boulderfield! I haven't tried it yet with the digital model....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

First, THANK YOU to the BMECC folks who have worked very hard over the years to allow backpackers to pass through this very unique and historic area!

Second, in case you have trouble rubbing your eyes hard enough to read the sign image, or someone stole it from the trailhead, here is a link to a more specific discussion of rules on PA's state lands, with links from there to the regulations themselves: http://www.satc-hike.org/paoutdoors.html#rules

Third, you need to read that web link before you go, there's no signal in that hollow.

OK. I just want to make sure I have SGL camping rules along the AT corridor correctly implanted in my brain. It seems that I've been oblivious for a while and have broken a few rules in the past. I confess that I've camped back behind the privy at Rausch Gap.

I'm hoping to take a short jaunt NoBo from Duncannon to Rt 443 in a few weeks. I'm a sloooow hiker, and if I don't make it from Peter's Mtn Shelter to Rausch Gap, can I spend a night anywhere along the AT between the two shelters, as long as I'm within 200' of the trail and not within 500' of a water source or public access?

I'm a little confused because the data book, page 28 says: "Camping and establishing campsites are prohibited on State Game Lands. The only exceptions are a few designated areas such as the Rausch Gap Shelter in Game Lands #211." To me, that says I can only stay in the shelter. But a few more lines along in the paragraph, I read, "The Game Commission does permit primitive camping along the Appalachian Trail as it traverses Game Lands." And then the rules above are listed.

So, can I or can I not camp on the ground between Peter's Mtn Shelter and Rausch Gap Shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    OK. I just want to make sure I have SGL camping rules along the AT corridor correctly implanted in my brain.

I'm hoping to take a short jaunt NoBo from Duncannon to Rt 443 in a few weeks. I'm a sloooow hiker, and if I don't make it from Peter's Mtn Shelter to Rausch Gap, can I spend a night anywhere along the AT between the two shelters, as long as I'm within 200' of the trail and not within 500' of a water source or public access?
    YES!!The exact answer is here: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...5/s135.42.html

The ghost village of Yellow Springs is an example of a legal camping area on your route, since the eponymous "springs" are well down a side trail destroyed by erosion, and in addition those are a fine example of naturally occurring acid drainage (hence "yellow"). 5 miles trail-south of Rausch Gap. Obviously, one then needs to carry water in from locations not legal to camp at. Do not disturb or remove any cultural artifacts you may find in this area. Be sure to sign in!

Speaking of water, it usually can be found about 50 yards to the trail-west (left for NOBO) on the side trail to "The General" about 2 miles trail-north of Yellow Springs village. Heading down the tantalizingly named Cold Spring Trail nearby will eventually lead you to where you can't quite see the eponymous Cold Spring, all the way down the mountain; then the way back up will make you wish for a jaunt back up from the Peters Mountain Shelter spring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Second, in case you have trouble rubbing your eyes hard enough to read the sign image, or someone stole it from the trailhead...
    I would be happy to link a sharper image were someone to post one to WB's gallery and call it to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    So, can I or can I not camp between Peter's Mtn Shelter and Rausch Gap Shelter?
    On my copy of KTA's map Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania Sections 7&8 Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap, the land ownership where Peters Mountain Shelter rests and immediately N of it is not indicated. N of PA 325, the AT passes out of SGL #211 onto what appears may be watershed. Perhaps ki0eh could clarify ownership and whether camping by thru hikers is permitted in these areas.

Lellers, you appear to understand camping is not permitted within 500 feet of PA 325, along Rausch Gap Shelter's blue-blazed access trail more than 200 feet from the AT or around the shelter itself and that to use RGS you must travel on foot 25 miles which would make you a thru hiker as defined by the stricter PCG rule pertaining to use of this shelter.

Images

Default An SGL #211 thread?

It may be desirable to begin a St. Anthony's Wilderness thread and link this thread to it and vice-versa. This thread's beginning to resemble the Eagle's Nest Shelter thread which became unnecessarily complicated by posts related to SGL #110, but then I've been thinking all BMECC shelter threads might be improved by creating a new thread for each with the essential information consolidated in a single opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Hikers and other non-hunters get to use these lands FOR FREE, and we all owe the PGC a large "thank you" for it's foresight.
    I was just talking to someone who lives in the area and this is completely correct. Thank you to the PGC and all those who have helped to keep the AT "free". As we all know freedom isn't free, it takes someone or some group to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    On my copy of KTA's map Appalachain Trail in Pennsylvania Sections 7&8 Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap, the land ownership where Peters Mountain Shelter rests and immediately N of it is not indicated. N of PA 325, the AT passes out of SGL #211 onto what appears may be watershed. Perhaps ki0eh could clarify ownership and whether camping by thru hikers is permitted in these areas.
    Peters Mountain Shelter is on NPS land. The corridor gets pretty narrow as I understand in the immediate vicinity of the old Victoria Road but then comes onto DCNR's Ibberson Conservation Area (shown on the 2004 edition KTA A.T. map) before entering the area of SGL 211 north of Clarks Valley. (I understand that corner of SGL 211 was what PP&L purchased to "swap" for the Stony Creek Valley in the 1970's, with intent to build the pumped storage facility that was eventually cancelled, see the middle and end of http://www.satc-hike.org/history.htm )

The 2004 KTA A.T. map shows an NPS owned corridor along the A.T. cutting through the area on Sharp Mountain south of DeHart Dam. The Harrisburg Authority retains ownership both sides outside this corridor, confirmed with the Dauphin County GIS. (this is the land the National Guard wanted to buy and "swap" for the south side of Stony Creek adjacent to Fort Indiantown Gap; see http://www.savestonyvalley.com/ )

And, yes, it probably would be a good idea to have a "St. Anthony's Wilderness" thread - I think there's already one for 'The General'.
    Last edited by ki0eh; 03-05-2008 at 09:06. Reason: added specificity, now twice

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I was just talking to someone who lives in the area and this is completely correct. Thank you to the PGC and all those who have helped to keep the AT "free". As we all know freedom isn't free, it takes someone or some group to keep it that way.
    Yes, the PGC can pay $400/acre for land - the $400 comes from hunting license sales, ammunition taxes, timber sales, and mineral extraction.

The days of $400/acre land are long gone in PA - when the PGC buys land that is freely accessible to all those who obey the regulations, donors are needed to make up the difference between $400 and the real price. Typically, many conservation organizations join together to make this happen. See an example at http://www.satc-hike.org/pafootpaths.html

So the good news is that you, too, can participate in preserving PA's landscapes as Game Lands - even if you don't hunt, log, or mine.

Images

I suspected I might not have the most recent edition of KTA's map. Time to purchase a new map. Thanks for the information.

Default Great Place to be

This is a great shelter, yes its a little worn down but sooo many good memories there. I first started visiting this area in '99 and seem to get there about once a year. i don't always stay there but it is certainly in a beautiful area. the fire ring is nice due to the big steel plate behind it that reflects the heat back to you on cold nights

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I stopped here for lunch during my section hike of central PA in 1974 when this was considered one of the high-end shelters on the AT! I recall being impressed by the way that water from the spring was routed through an "aquaduct" to the shelter, but I'm not sure that feature is still there.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I stopped here for lunch during my section hike of central PA in 1974 when this was considered one of the high-end shelters on the AT! I recall being impressed by the way that water from the spring was routed through an "aquaduct" to the shelter, but I'm not sure that feature is still there.
    Yep, it's still there. The original "aquaduct" pipe was plastic and got melted because of fires in the firepit that were SO HOT that the heat transferred through the stones and barbequed the PVC. We replaced that pipe a dozen years ago, and as long as the iron plate remains in place, most of the heat will reflect away from the wall. BTW, the pipe runs back to the spring under the large boulder on the uphill side of the blue trail.

The privy has been re-built, I don't know how full it is, but will find out shortly

Images

Quote Originally Posted by effman View Post
    The privy has been re-built, I don't know how full it is, but will find out shortly
    It better not be full yet!!!

But someone cut out the funnel under the seat, so now we've got urine running out under the front of the seat-riser! I guess that I'll have to go up and repair this before any more damage is done to the structure.

Images

Default Rausch Gap is a lovely area

Wow, this old thread brings back memories. I night-hiked in to Rausch Gap Shelter in late October 2002. It was a chilly, misty night - the air so damp, it felt heavy. I spent a few moments at the old cemetery, rested on the bridge enjoying the rushing of the stream, then walked on up to the shelter. I was expecting to meet a fellow SOBO I'd been running into, but found the shelter empty. Shelter was nice, no rats, no mice. So I enjoyed a very peaceful sleep there by myself. It was lovely. Loved the unique water feature, loved the site, loved the whole area.
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++