WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default nobo just going with what ever comes

i'm leaving 3-07, i've worked 30 years, i'm not taking any maps, i've weathered many a storm, i've always (since i was 12) wanted to do this, and i know i will. any comments

have at it. have fun. go slow.

Images

Default Absolutely!!!!

With that attitude, you've got a much better chance than most.

LW said "Take your time", I couldn't agree more.

Have fun and enjoy!!
    What? Me worry??

My plan is similar, although I'm taking some maps Getting some therapy for a fractured left ankle, should be ready to go by March. See ya on the trail...

Thumbs up

I know how you feel, I was driving myself crazy trying to plan way to much on details. I wil start later in March, because of 2 recent hernia operations (1-17-07), I will go slow and just enjoy the walk, but I will be taking maps just to be safe. Have fun

Images

Go for it! Your story is similar to mine. I got the fever at the age of 12, but put it off for 39 years, until my youngest was in college.

When I was tempted to quit--and I was tempted many times--I kept on hiking. 39, or in your case 40, years of delaying the Hike is a powerful motivation for keeping on keeping on.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I'm leaving near the end of March and have a similar plan as you. No maps, and no idea of when I am getting off the trail. Could possibly thru hike it, or I might stay for a month...no idea.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Great Atitude. I am taking a similar approach. I am taking my time and taking it just one day at a time. I think people get caught up thinking about the whole trail from the start. I am going to plan ahead, but just think about each day as they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    i'm leaving 3-07, i've worked 30 years, i'm not taking any maps, i've weathered many a storm, i've always (since i was 12) wanted to do this, and i know i will. any comments
    Sounds like a plan. But why no maps?

I did the same thing at first, lacbe. I had an entire binder of notes and crap and tried to plan it down to the last detail. Now I'm just going to put one foot in front of the other and see what happens.

dsg, you've got the right idea!
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Images

Default nobo just going for it

go for it !lifes to short.ky

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well, there are plenty of threads about taking maps...
    As for me, I'm a planner. Plus I have precious cargo with me as well. My 16 yr old. So planning is a necessity. And I like planning anyway. As best as I can with what I have, that is.

But as the saying goes, HYOH. Sounds like mentally you are ready and that's 90% of it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Default March 13th for me

I'll have the maps if you wanna wait on me... LOL I'm so ready to "Shut up and HIKE!!!" Tired of planning, but I still keep thinking that I'm gonna miss that one vital tip or trick that will make it all a better experience. But my guess is, that Tip ain't there.
    Good luck, see you out there I'm sure!
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coralrives View Post
    I'll have the maps if you wanna wait on me... LOL I'm so ready to "Shut up and HIKE!!!" Tired of planning, but I still keep thinking that I'm gonna miss that one vital tip or trick that will make it all a better experience. But my guess is, that Tip ain't there.
    Good luck, see you out there I'm sure!
    I understand completely.

Suggestion: go walking on roads at least 10 miles a day during the work week and at least 20 miles a day on the weekends. It will be tuff on your feet but u will get your feet tuff, maybe develop some hot spots and get practice taking care of them. And remember, u get to be at home every nite, soak in the tub, watch TV and u will have less time "worry about planning". NOTE: to some people walking on asphalt roads is overkill but I firmly believe that it is worth it.

Obviously, carry your backpack and u will get practice adjusting your hip belt and u can pack & unpack the pack before & after each hike/walk to get practice.

The above will accomplish 5 things:
    • toughen up your feet (blisters or sore feet is one of the major things that bother LD hikers when starting their hike)
    • exhaust your body each day so u can practice that day after day ritual of LD hiking (exhaustion, rest. ....)
    • leave u less time "to worry about planning" every little detail (obviously I assume u have maildrops & other major plans done)
    • during these daily hikes u have allot of time to think about the details of your hike and u can carry a recorder or small pad & pen to capture any thoughts that come to u that u would like to address
    • by walking on roads u may meet some of your neighbors & find that there are other LD hikers in or near your community. Also a good way to meet people cause they will be asking u what are u training for.
    GOOD LUCK.... Look foward to reading your journal.. Pls don't get behind on your daily journal (it is tuff to do it day after day especially when u would like to be resting mentally or u are being distracted by other hikers), actually u may even want to stay a little longer in camp in the mornings to complete the previous day's entry. U will treasure your daily journal after your hike is done.

Images

I'd take a map if for no other reason than the chance you might have to bail due to injury. A map could come in handy finding that alternate trail. Best of luck to you and by all means, take your time and enjoy the trail.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fannypack View Post
    I understand completely.
    I'd add another thing doing a lot of walking before the hike can accomplish--your mind will become accustomed to spending lots of time walking. A lot of hikers discover that they are completely bored by walking all day. You'll either learn to entertain yourself, or you'll discover that you need a radio or an iPod to pass the time without going nuts. Or quitting.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fannypack View Post
    I understand completely.

Suggestion: go walking on roads at least 10 miles a day during the work week and at least 20 miles a day on the weekends. It will be tuff on your feet but u will get your feet tuff, maybe develop some hot spots and get practice taking care of them. And remember, u get to be at home every nite, soak in the tub, watch TV and u will have less time "worry about planning". NOTE: to some people walking on asphalt roads is overkill but I firmly believe that it is worth it.

Obviously, carry your backpack and u will get practice adjusting your hip belt and u can pack & unpack the pack before & after each hike/walk to get practice.

• toughen up your feet (blisters or sore feet is one of the major things that bother LD hikers when starting their hike)
    • exhaust your body each day so u can practice that day after day ritual of LD hiking (exhaustion, rest. ....)
    • leave u less time "to worry about planning" every little detail (obviously I assume u have maildrops & other major plans done)
    • during these daily hikes u have allot of time to think agbout the details of your hike and u can carry a recorder or small pad & pen to capture any thoughts that come to u that u would like to address
    • by walking on roads u may meet some of your neighbors & find that there are other LD hikers in or near your community. Also a good way to meet people cause they will be asking u what are u training for.
    GOOD LUCK.... Look foward to reading your journal.. Pls don't get behind on your daily journal (it is tuff to do it day after day especially when u would like to be resting mentally or u are being distracted by other hikers), actually u may even want to stay a little longer in camp in the mornings to complete the previous day's entry. U will treasure your daily journal after your hike is done.

Great advice!!! I've been waling the beach a lot, maybe it's time to make it to the road... hate the pounding my boots will take though...
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Quote Originally Posted by coralrives View Post
    Great advice!!! I've been waling the beach a lot, maybe it's time to make it to the road... hate the pounding my boots will take though...
    another suggestion: alternate running shoes & boots... I used boots on the AT in 1996 but used running shoes on PCT in 2001. I will never use boots again except in winter hiking.....

another trick i learned on the PCT was to use plastic bags, like the plastic bags from the grocery store, on my feet to keep feet "a little " warmer when walking thru snow, especially in Sierras when i would walk thru a streeam then thru snow with feet wet.....

also, just but using the plastic bags for the above reaons i also found that the plastic acted like teflon so my feet slid in the shoes, i.e., little or now friction, no blisters....

NOT sure what your work schedule is but the walking on roads 10 to 20 miles a day definitely will exhaust your body & u feel like u have done something and u will get a good nite's sleep after this "exercise"

GOOD LUCK... when do u start? ( I am 125 miles east of Rockfish Gap aka Waynesboro, VA in a surburb of Richmond)

btw, where in VA does your family live?

Default To Coral and all!

I am new at this long distance hike stuff,but lived in the mountains for years.You guys all got what it takes,ya did ya home work,now go and explore! Coral,it is what is inside that is key,you aint missing nothing! Maybe we will have a steak together! Or a BEER!

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I'd add another thing doing a lot of walking before the hike can accomplish--your mind will become accustomed to spending lots of time walking. A lot of hikers discover that they are completely bored by walking all day. You'll either learn to entertain yourself, or you'll discover that you need a radio or an iPod to pass the time without going nuts. Or quitting.
    agree 100%; I wish i could remember how many hikers QUIT because there said that "they were not having fun." They said " i am on vacation and I want to have fun & this hiking day after day is too much like a job"...

The radio helped me cause i felt i was walking with someone as i listened to the TV stations and/or NPR....

Btw, Marta, I was a NOBOer, so i guess a NOBOer & SOBOer can agree on some things.... LOL

Another day in paradise.

Finally, if can't tell, I love sharing my expierences & observations, so I hope u don't feel like i am preaching to ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++