WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Knife: Any Recommendations?

Previously I've used the Spiderco Delica and the Leatherman Micra. They both weigh 1.75 oz each, and I'd carry both.

Any suggestions for other knives?

Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

I carry a Swiss Army Knife with scissors, tweezers and a can opener (and several other things). Scissors in place of nail clippers. Tweezers for pulling ticks up North. Can opener just in case (and I've used it several times - Ramen gets old)...You might want the blade long enough to spread some p-nut butter, too...

It has its own little pouch attached to my hip belt.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

I carried the swiss army knife called the midnight manager, had scissors,led light and ballpoint pen on it..
    very useful....

Images

I got this Swiss Army for Christmas. Only weighs .75 oz and it has a safety whistle built into it! It's perfect for my needs.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/...&product=53933&
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

This is a hot button issue.

Half of hikers (I assure you of this without resorting to any actual measurement) carry some model of the Swiss Army Knife, slightly less than half the other hikers prefer almost that number of other different knives.

To me, a knife is necessary when living outdoors, whether for six months or a day. Consider this knife a “woods knife” because that’s where you will be living.

If you want a knife, carry a knife. If you want a manicure set, several models of the Swiss Army Knife do nicely.

At work (not in the woods), I carried a real knife reserved for real work, and a Swiss Army Knife for personal neatness and destructive stuff I didn’t want to waste a real knife destroying.

A “real” folding knife weighs more than a “real” fixed blade knife. A fixed blade knife is more durable, weight being equal, than a folding knife. A fixed blade knife just doesn’t fit in a pocket as neatly as a pocket knife.

Mora is a town in Sweden which is a major knife making area. The knife makers have standardized some models which they make available with your choice of a hard steel blade or a hard steel blade with soft steel laminated over both sides.

The laminated Mora Knife #1 has a 3 7/8" blade, weighs 1.8 oz (2.2 oz with the cheesy plastic sheath), and costs about $14.00. The laminated Mora Knife #2 has a 4 1/4" blade, weighs 2.4 oz (2.9 oz with the sheath), and costs about $15.00 (eBay prices.) Non-laminated blade Mora Knives are cheaper. These knives will fit in a pocket. A “downside” perhaps is, hard steel knife blades are more subject to rusting.

I also carry a pair of small scissors (toenail model, quite tough), a bottle opener, a can opener (P-38), and a metal (oh, horrors) whistle, which, combined, don’t weigh much.

As a frame of reference, the Swiss Army Knife Soldier, a model I like a lot, weighs 2.2 oz.

Personal opinion: Any Mora Knife cuts, and fits in the hand, better than any Swiss Army Knife. (Warning: Swiss Army Knife users love SAK knives.)
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I carry the Lite my fire knife. It is a whisle, knife, and magnessium fire starter in one. All things I was going to carry anyways. The mag along will light stove fuel really easy when needed. This was nice when my lighter stopped working on a cold afternoon dayhike.

I carry fingernail clippers for clipping the fingers.

Gerber E-Z Out. I/2 serrated. The old model is hard to find but worth it. Takes a beating and still holds a good edge. I've owned and lost 4 over the past 8 years.

The lady carries the swiss army with the corkscrew.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Gerber E-Z Out. I/2 serrated. The old model is hard to find but worth it. Takes a beating and still holds a good edge. I've owned and lost 4 over the past 8 years.

The lady carries the swiss army with the corkscrew.
    Got to have a corkscrew!

Images

Im going to carry a big ass army ranger knife, its going to be on a hip belt so no pack weight. It's got a pocket in the case I can carry small itams with...I am going to carry a pair of toe nail clippers because I have these thick toe nails that take alot to cut, wich I will carry in my knife case.

Images

In the last 40 years I have carried everything. For my thru it will be a Columbia River 5112C Snap Lock folding knife. It is around 2 ounces and it fits my hand nicely. I like it.

Get a knige you like to carry and use that weighs a resaonble amount. Only a few criteria:

It cuts

It will last

You like it.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Previously I've used the Spiderco Delica and the Leatherman Micra. They both weigh 1.75 oz each, and I'd carry both.

Any suggestions for other knives?

Thanks!
    Get you a Buck Pocket Knife and carry a P-38 for a can opener.............

single edge razor---save the weight
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by icemanboston View Post
    Only a few criteria:

It cuts

It will last

You like it.
    Froggy, I think Iceman summed it up succinctly above. My only suggestion is to do a little analysis of what sort of things you want the knife to be able to do. In other words, is it going to be used to cut duct tape, slice a bagel, cheese or beef stick, cut rope, spread peanut butter, trim finger & toe nails? Do you (also) want it for survival purposes with a whistle and flint built-in? Do you plan on using it to cut wood for fires? Do you want it to be able to open cans or remove bottle corks? Only you can answer these questions. What needs/wants/desires others may have for their knife may not be the same for you. Think about the type of situations you need or want a knife for and then you can determine which make/model works best for you.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

I HATE those mini Swiss Army Knives. They were never intended for doing much more than opening mail and trimming your nails. A gentleman's knife rather than a functional knife.

Thus I carry a Swiss army knife with a large blade a small blade, a functional saw, a functional set of scissors that cut a lot of moleskin, medical tape, etc. on the way, the usual can opener and bottle openers, the phillips head screwdriver and a functional awl. I used all of these tools on my thru-hike and I don't hike without that knife in my first aid pouch.

I may also carry another single blade folder on my person, or a neck knife (hangs around the neck).

The bottom line is that the knife you carry in the back country should be up to some significant use, it shouldn't be some ounce counting weenie's "I hope nothing serious happens" knife. This isn't to say that you should carry a huge bowie knife or Kukhuri either...that's clearly overkill for most situations we here would consider, but a good, full sized multi-tool or Swiss Army knife with functionally sized blades and tools is a darned good choice.

Also, don't cheap out on these tools. Most of the cheaply made Chinese knock offs are cheaply made chinese knock offs. I was given one such this Christmas by one of my nieces. It is completely non-functional in all regards. I decided to sharpen it up to see if I could at least put it in a car emergency kit, but it would not easily take an edge, nor would it hold one once sharpened. Buy either a Wenger or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife or a multi-tool from a major maker such as Leatherman, Gerber, Buck, or SOG. You won't be sorry about the extra ounce or so should you really need a good tool.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fonsie View Post
    Im going to carry a big ass army ranger knife, its going to be on a hip belt so no pack weight.
    Yes, a "big ass army ranger knife" on the hip belt won't weigh anything, will it, as long as it's on your hip belt? Dang. You are so lucky...I miss my anti-gravity big ass army ranger knife that didn't weigh anything but maybe I can get one from a hiker box next time I'm on the AT.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

I've got a variety of knives, but when I walked from GA to VA, over the course of a couple months, all I carried was one of the mini Swiss knives, with a small blade, scissors, nail file, tweezers (kept) and toothpick (left behind). I never - not once - had something that needs a knife/tool that I missed.

The key isn't to find the best knife: The trick is to identify what you are (1) for sure going to need a knife for (food prep, cord cutting, finger/toe nails) and (2) what you reasonably MIGHT need one for (firewood shavings? whitlling? tracheotomies?). Then just bring what you need and nothing more.

The Weasel

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    I HATE those mini Swiss Army Knives. They were never intended for doing much more than opening mail and trimming your nails. A gentleman's knife rather than a functional knife.

Thus I carry a Swiss army knife with a large blade a small blade, a functional saw, a functional set of scissors that cut a lot of moleskin, medical tape, etc. on the way, the usual can opener and bottle openers, the phillips head screwdriver and a functional awl. I used all of these tools on my thru-hike and I don't hike without that knife in my first aid pouch.

I may also carry another single blade folder on my person, or a neck knife (hangs around the neck).

The bottom line is that the knife you carry in the back country should be up to some significant use, it shouldn't be some ounce counting weenie's "I hope nothing serious happens" knife. This isn't to say that you should carry a huge bowie knife or Kukhuri either...that's clearly overkill for most situations we here would consider, but a good, full sized multi-tool or Swiss Army knife with functionally sized blades and tools is a darned good choice.

Also, don't cheap out on these tools. Most of the cheaply made Chinese knock offs are cheaply made chinese knock offs. I was given one such this Christmas by one of my nieces. It is completely non-functional in all regards. I decided to sharpen it up to see if I could at least put it in a car emergency kit, but it would not easily take an edge, nor would it hold one once sharpened. Buy either a Wenger or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife or a multi-tool from a major maker such as Leatherman, Gerber, Buck, or SOG. You won't be sorry about the extra ounce or so should you really need a good tool.
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Hey Weasel, I have taken it out on many treks and I realy don't notice it. Your right I might or might not bring it.

Images

I carry a swiss army and this beauty from TOPS.
    http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...roducts_id=114

I can also vouch for the quality and cost effectiveness of Columbia River Knives. I have several.

Mainly, you will need a blade, scissors, a can opener a small saw blade and a hook for a bale. A good SAK will take care of everything you need. I carry the TOPS knife for serious cutting tasks. It's indestructable and will go through a car door (if you should have occasion to do so).

Images

BE A MAN. If it does not reach halfway down your leg it is not a knife.

Images

Remember Crocodile Dundee? “You call that a knife mate? That’s not a knife, this is a knife.” (presenting his Bowie for inspection & to instill fear)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++