WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Over mitten

Images

Default Over mitten

I've been looking for a simple, light weight, mitten to put on over my fleece gloves. All I want to do is keep the wind and rain from my fleece gloves. I cant seem to find anything with no insulation in it, do any of you know of such a mitten or am I going to have to learn to sew?

I'm looking for the same - an unlined sil-nylon overmitt with maybe either some velcro or elastic at the wrist. Moonbow offered to run me up a pair for $30.00. I also asked Fiddlehead at Adventurelite, and he promised to get back to me but hasn't yet. Maybe if he gets more inquiries....

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I've been looking for a simple, light weight, mitten to put on over my fleece gloves. All I want to do is keep the wind and rain from my fleece gloves. I cant seem to find anything with no insulation in it, do any of you know of such a mitten or am I going to have to learn to sew?
    ===========================

Not much consolation, since they are no longer made, but OR used to sell something called the "Rain Mitt". I own them in 2 sizes. Best alternative I've seen lately is something made out of silnylon ...but I don't know if they are homemade or commerically sold.

Some outfitters might still have the OR's in stock.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

interesting - a new posting of a shell mitt for sale: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...65&postcount=1

Several years ago I saw a pair of leightweight, nylon mitts in a runner's store in Charlotte (I think it was Run for Your Life).

Images

Mountain Laurel Designs offered an eVent rain mitt as a pre-holiday item, and quickly sold out. I think that means there's a market for this sort of thing, and I hope they will carry them as a regular item in the future.

For real winter I have a waterproof/breathable/taped seams overmitt, but that's probably more than you need for hiking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++