WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I remember a hiker who used to carry a couple different types of cereal in ziplocks and then some Carnation Instant Breakfast. He would sprinkle the instant breakfast powder over the cereal, add water and dig in.

I carried cereal now and then, most often the frosted shreaded wheat, and at it dry with a Tang chaser.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Default Recipe for miles.

I liked to keep a variety of options and meals that fit different scenarios at my disposal. It was all a part of remaining flexible and being able to adapt to changing plans and weather.

My preferred way to begin a day when I wanted to put by lots of miles was to break camp just before or at first light and hike to the first water source, where I replenished my water supply and ate cold cereal with nothing more than water. I preferred familia (Swiss Müesli) for this purpose, although Raisin Bran would be my idea of a good alternative.

Default I made major use of cold cereal during my thruhike...

Mainly used nonflake granola and bite-size shredded wheat. Idea was to have ones I could stand to just eat as is (dry) if I ran out or otherwise didn't get around to making a bowl of milk.

I went on a big cereal kick as well. Lucky Charms baby - they're magically delicious!

Images

I never liked the 'aftermath' of dried milk rehydrated after already being added to cereal. Dried milk already mixed with cereal never seemed to reconstitute as well as alone, nor did the cereal remain crunchy. Therefore, I kept the cereal separate and rehydrated the milk separate, then added the cereal. At one point, I carried a pint Nalgene for mixing drinks. This was also used for nergy drinks mid-day, as I didn't want to contaminate my fresh water supply. I liked cereal as it satisfied my need to have different textures now and again, when oatmeal and other hot cereals got boring.
    Tipper

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Granola doesn't crumble. Raisin Bran doesn't seem to do it much either, at least, not so I noticed.

Oatmeal gets old, fast and didn't hold as well after a while. We would get really hungry by 9:00, even eating 2-3 packets. The oatmeal bars taste just like the instant oatmeal, but you don't have to cook them. I found them a bit too sweet, but they weren't bad.
    My basic breakfast on long distance trails has been a cup of quick cooking oatmeal, a pinch of salt, a tablespoon of brown sugar, a fist full of raisins or other dried fruit,, and a quarter cup of powdered milk.

Add two cups of water, bring to a boil, and set aside for a few minutes, preferably covered with a bit of fleece or a sweater to keep the heat in.

Early in a hike, I reduce the quantities for a bit, but once hunger sets in I can eat it all and look for snacks for augmentation.

I eat out of the pot, and when scraped almost clean add water for Tang, hot chocolate and/or coffee. Generic quick cooking oatmeal is a third or less the price of instant, has less of a chemical taste, is more nutritious, and more appetizing.

There are infinite variables. If calories are needed, add a squirt of liquid margarine or vegetable oil, or a bit of Cinnamon, a few berries in season, nuts.... whatever suits your fancy.

Weary

Default Oatmeal Good.

Eventually I hit on this breakfast, which I never tired of:

Oatmeal or cream-of-wheat (unflavored -- cheaper and not so sickeningly sweet after a few months), a sturdy cereal (granola or grape nuts), dried fruit, a handful of nuts, powdered milk, AND an instant breakfast (if it was in my budget). Essentially a mix of everything y'all said, plus nuts. Nuts were key for keeping me full for a few hours.

Luckily there was someone ahead of me on the trail who didn't like their French Vanilla Instant Breakfasts. They kept ending up in the hiker boxes and I discovered they're the best to mix with breakfast -- thanks, whoever you were...

Images

Default Steel-cut oats

Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    Oatmeal good!
    Steel-cut oats with raisins and cinnamon, my favorite cold-weather breakfast on-trail or at home.

Jambalaya is good, too, although I can't say I've ever eaten it for breakfast. Have you, Jambalaya?

Images

Homemade granola almost every day in warmer weather -- I add milk powder, dried fruit, and protein powder. I've also liked Grape Nuts, but haven't had them in a while.

The granola recipe is on Sarbar's freezer bag cooking website under Breakfast.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

I always liked Grape-Nuts as it was so dense that it helped save space..Lots of the other cereals are flaky or air puffed and eat up 5 times more room for the same weight....Grape-Nuts or Raisin Brand and powdered milk was my main breakfast along with maybe jam/preserves on crackers and Tang and a vitamin
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

As a son of the South, I've never been able to develope a taste for oatmeal or cream of wheat. So we usually heat up enough water for a cup of coffee and two packets of instant grits. For extra calories we add liquid margarine or olive oil, a tablespoon of bacon bits and some shredded cheddar. I'm going to try the cold cereal approach a few times if I can find a better tasting powdered milk.

Any kind of cereal with fruits and nuts with Nido add water and eat out of the plastic bag. Easy and tasty!

Images

Read the lables. Most breakfast cereals are junk food. I look for the ones that have more protien than sugar. Weight control oatmeal, and Special K have the best protien to sugar ratio that I have been able to find.

Smart Start... with Milkman "touch of cream" lowfat, dry milk .... nothing better.

Images

I like to get out on the trail early, so no cooking in the a.m. is great for me. I was eating a healthfood version of honey nut cheerios. Serving size 1/2 the box. And plenty of powdered milk. Some mornings I would quickly brew 1 c. of h20 for coffee by the time I ate all that cereal. Still I was on the trail in 20, at most 30 mins after waking up.

GlazeDog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dennisartrip View Post
    I am considering cereal for breakfast on the trail. 1 1/2 cups of cereal, 1/3 cup dried milk, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. All these items fit into a ziploc bag and weigh less then 7 ounces. With Kellogs Just Right this figures out to approximately 500 calories with fiber, carbs, calicum, and low in fat. Lets hear the Pros and Cons. Thanks: Trudger

i like granola and powdered milk i eat it out of the freezer bag i packed it in neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Any kind of cereal with fruits and nuts with Nido add water and eat out of the plastic bag. Easy and tasty!
    i like granola and powdered milk,i think i will try nido the next time neo

Default Nope, not for breakfast

Jambalaya is good, too, although I can't say I've ever eaten it for breakfast. Have you, Jambalaya?
    Nope, jambalaya is too spicy for breakfast. But it's the best after a long day of hiking! Zaterain's (sp?): it's really good stuff.

AT, ECT, LT, PCT Thru-hiker JojoSmiley's Avatar

You can find Nido in most Walmarts. Check in the hispanic section. I usually use that generously with raisins, brown sugar and nuts in my regular oats.
    Tastes great cold too although with the Jet boil hot water takes just a minute.
    Jojo Smiley :)
    Savor the Moments!

I used NIDO powdered milk as well. High in fat it helped augment the home made oatmeal that my wife fixed. She just mixed it in along with the other goodies in the oatmeal zip lock...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++