WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Campsite

While hiking the Mass AT this week, just north of the Shaker campsite I noticed a brand new bear sign tree. It's a ~4" red pine right next to the trail. About 5' up the trunk the bark is all chewed off and teeth marks are showing as well as bits of fur. A bear is definitely telling all who will notice that he/she is in the area. So I strongly suggest you keep an eye on your pack (do not leave it unattended) and use the bear box if staying overnight at Shaker. Also, if you see a cub, check to see where mama is and don't get between the 2!100_3921.jpg

Images

Stayed here on 7/2/2012 and used 1 of the 2 tent platforms. There ia a good spot behind the wall and a very few other, almost, level spots. There is a bear box which should be used. I saw a mama and cub near the water source at 5:30 PM. The cub ran right up the trail toward me. Mama grunted and cub turned around and they both took off. The cub was so cute; just "bounding" along. Water was flowing good on this early July day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Latest news

Water is still flowing near this site; and the river just north of it is unlikely to ever be dry. Note that, on the whole, the area is getting pretty low on water; get it when you can.

I know this is an oldie, but we stayed here 10/17/14 and had an interesting evening by the fire. We hear a bunch of loud people somewhere down by the Farms on Main St (we think). Not soon after hear gunshots and the sound of them hitting the trees about 20-30 feet above our head. Leaves started falling and we take cover behind the tent pads. After realizing they can't have line of sight of us we go back to the fire and here comes round 2 and 3 of the same type of thing. After that they were still shooting just apparently not in our direction for about minutes. No cell coverage to call either. Gotta love farm country.

About 30 minutes, sorry.

Hi spinkid,
    Thanks for the report. We've communicated with local law enforcement about this incident, please PM me if you have more to add.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by spinkid View Post
    I know this is an oldie, but we stayed here 10/17/14 and had an interesting evening by the fire. We hear a bunch of loud people somewhere down by the Farms on Main St (we think). Not soon after hear gunshots and the sound of them hitting the trees about 20-30 feet above our head. Leaves started falling and we take cover behind the tent pads. After realizing they can't have line of sight of us we go back to the fire and here comes round 2 and 3 of the same type of thing. After that they were still shooting just apparently not in our direction for about minutes. No cell coverage to call either. Gotta love farm country.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ya rte 23 to 20 is sketchy cell coverage. Most likely local kids. Maybe coon hunters hear any dogs?

No dogs, just sounded like a bunch of kids to be honest. Afterwards though the cows at the near by farm were making one heck of a racket.

Cosmo, Nothing more to add. Thanks.

Yesterday (6/5/15), a hiker stopping at Goose Pond Cabin reported that the previous evening at Shaker Campsite, that she had 3 visits from a young bear. It was not easily scared away.

Use the bear box, and don't leave your stuff unattended (like when you go down the trail for a few minutes to get some water).

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    Stayed here on 7/2/2012 and used 1 of the 2 tent platforms. There ia a good spot behind the wall and a very few other, almost, level spots. There is a bear box which should be used. I saw a mama and cub near the water source at 5:30 PM. The cub ran right up the trail toward me. Mama grunted and cub turned around and they both took off. The cub was so cute; just "bounding" along. Water was flowing good on this early July day.

Bear alert. An aggressive sow with cubs was reported at this site 2 days ago. Please avoid using this site for now. If you do use this site be VERY careful with your food and definitely use the bear box. Do NOT put food in the privy or down the privy hole. There has been a bear in this area for many years and we hope to continue to coexist peacefully with this animal; so please help out by practicing Leave-No-Trace scrupulously. Lastly, please contact me at: [email protected] to report any further encounters. Thanks, Volunteer Jim

We have had several confirmed sightings of a bear w/3 cubs at this campsite in the past week (end of June/early July). The bear has been a regular visitor over the years, but seems to be particularly active at present (nursing 3 cubs probably has some pretty high caloric demands). Hikers report not being able to scare this bear away, even in multiple numbers. While we have not yet officially closed the site, we probably will soon, once we consult with ATC/NPS. Hikers should plan to stay at a different site (Wilcox North is 4.1 south, Upper Goose Pond Cabin is 4.7 north). Stealth camping is not permitted in Mass.

Cosmo

i ran into these bears last night parked a few feet off trail at about 7:15pm. they forced a hiker already at the site to keep going and an approaching pair to double back and skip ahead via jerusalem rd.

unless you road walk i think the UGP cabin is closer to 10 miles from shaker.

Quote Originally Posted by greatexpectations View Post
    i ran into these bears last night parked a few feet off trail at about 7:15pm. they forced a hiker already at the site to keep going and an approaching pair to double back and skip ahead via jerusalem rd.

unless you road walk i think the UGP cabin is closer to 10 miles from shaker.
    9.9 Miles between, unless the trail in the area has substantially changed in the last 10 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    9.9 Miles between, unless the trail in the area has substantially changed in the last 10 years or so.
    Yup, I messed up the distance on my original post. 9.1 to the side trail.

Cosmo

This is not the momma bear in question (but possibly an offspring). Video taken on July 10. No other reports have come in (left a phone number in Guthook).

He certainly seems to know his way around the bear box, though. Note how easily he tips it over (that's why it's chained to the tree).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XrMVT9jcv8XRA1eJA

Or direct via this link

Hikers should be extremely careful not to leave any food or smellables unattended at this campsite.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    We have had several confirmed sightings of a bear w/3 cubs at this campsite in the past week (end of June/early July). The bear has been a regular visitor over the years, but seems to be particularly active at present (nursing 3 cubs probably has some pretty high caloric demands). Hikers report not being able to scare this bear away, even in multiple numbers. While we have not yet officially closed the site, we probably will soon, once we consult with ATC/NPS. Hikers should plan to stay at a different site (Wilcox North is 4.1 south, Upper Goose Pond Cabin is 4.7 north). Stealth camping is not permitted in Mass.

Cosmo

thanks for sharing the vid cosmo! i've been avoiding this section of trail for the last two weeks now but have heard of a few other (off trail) bear incidents in the area. it is nice to see the signs warning about the bears further up the trail.

i've run past the shaker site near sunset a few times in the last two weeks and haven't spotted the bears again. a few other sightings on/near trail though, and reports from all over town of frequent bear activity.

in an unrelated note, the heavy rain has made a mess of some spots of the trail in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer0131 View Post
    Do NOT put food in the privy or down the privy hole.

I'm going to guess this is one of those things that only has to be mentioned because someone has done it.

Quote Originally Posted by greatexpectations View Post
    i've run past the shaker site near sunset a few times in the last two weeks and haven't spotted the bears again. a few other sightings on/near trail though, and reports from all over town of frequent bear activity.

in an unrelated note, the heavy rain has made a mess of some spots of the trail in the vicinity.
    It appears that the bear has moved on (for now), but there are at least two adults living in the area. We took down the signs last week. As always at this site, hikers should use extra caution with their food and smellables.

We're about 1" ahead of normal rainfall for August, so the treadway is very spring-like. Lots of mud and running water, slowly draining.

Cosmo

Greetings all. I'm planning a night at Shaker April 28th. Wondering if anyone has an update on bear activity. It's early yet but not too early enough for bears to be nosing around I suspect. TIA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++