WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Heineken pot system

I've seen references and photos of this on various threads. Just wondering if there are any sites that explain it in detail. Basically I'm just looking for more info. I love my Trangia cookset, but I'll be hiking in the summer months this year and won't be doing a lot of cooking. Don't want to carry the weight of the Trangia when I won't use it everyday. Little help?

PS-It seems self explainitory, but I'm sure others have thought up stuff about this pot system that I won't think of.

well there are several variations in the HPS - the one I use is as follows:

burner - empty tea light candle tin (summer) with an extension (winter) - [Thanks Skidsteer]

pot support - 1/2 inch hardware cloth - 3 high by 15 around - fits just inside depression in bottom of can

bottom reflector/table protector - piece of foil approx 4x6 inch

pot - 24 ounce Heineken keg can with top chopped off and edge smoothed - approx 20 ounce after chopping - opening big enough so I can put my hand into the pot to wipe it out

lid - Campbells microwave soup bowl chopped off at 2 inch high, covered on the outside with pipe wrap insulation and then covered over all with foil - good tight fit on the Heineken pot

pot handler - bandana folded 4 times for 16 layers of cloth - wrap around pot to pick it up

igniter - a Spark-lite flint and steel wheel thingy (summer) or matches (winter)

I use ziplock bags for cooking so the cozy is also part of the system - I made mine out of close cell foam and duct tape so that the bag is held open and upright while I pour the hot water into the bag.

Images

Undershaft,

HOI's being modest. He originated the idea.

Good info in this Thread on HHQ.
    Last edited by Skidsteer; 02-16-2007 at 21:40.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

dang - I thought that picture fell off the web a while ago Thanks Skids - it is the best way to see what I use for a cozy.

One thing that I forgot was the windscreen - I use the sidewalls to two Coke cans crimped together on one end and slotted together on the other - I used a paper punch to punch some holes along the bottom edge of the windscreen

Images

It fell off the web right on my desktop.

I've got the other photos from that old link if you, by chance, lost them.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Well I never really had the pictures to begin with - not having a camera I sent the HKC system off to StoveStomper to photo and put on his website a while ago - one thing led to another and that page was first moved and then deleted. In any case it shows to old original system I used - these days I have a different burner (no fiberglass wick), a different lid (Campbells soup bowl +) and a different windscreen. The pot, pot support, bottom reflector, and cozy are however the same as what I use currently.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Well I never really had the pictures to begin with - not having a camera I sent the HKC system off to StoveStomper to photo and put on his website a while ago - one thing led to another and that page was first moved and then deleted. In any case it shows to old original system I used - these days I have a different burner (no fiberglass wick), The pot, pot support, bottom reflector, and cozy are however the same as what I use currently.
    No Fiberglass Wick!!!!!!!!!
    Danger-Danger-Danger

Images

HOI's figured out that a simple tea candle holder is all that is needed... his system still isn't pressurized.

Images

Thanks for the info.

Images

Default add a little fiberglass

Undershaft!!!!!!

Add a little fiberglass to teacandle tin to enhance its performance and make it a little more safe. The fiberglass will absorb all of 1/2 fluid ounce of fuel. In case of tip over, fuel will not spill out. Why chance spilling what may be your last 1/2 ounce of fuel.

Second photo shows fiberglass sticking up above the rim to expose more fuel to the air.

First photo shows difference in flame pattern with and without fiberglass. With fiberglass on the left.

Oops, sorry I got the photos bassakwards

Rabid backpacker and canoeist Chewiegranola's Avatar

Skidsteer,
    Do you use a windscreen with this set up?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chewiegranola View Post
    Skidsteer,
    Do you use a windscreen with this set up?
    Welcome to WB, Chewiegranola.

I carry a windscreen with my Heineken pot and use it when it's windy. Just to clarify, the attachment above is of HOI's setup and his windscreen isn't shown in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog on Ice
    One thing that I forgot was the windscreen - I use the sidewalls to two Coke cans crimped together on one end and slotted together on the other - I used a paper punch to punch some holes along the bottom edge of the windscreen
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    I've seen references and photos of this on various threads. Just wondering if there are any sites that explain it in detail. Basically I'm just looking for more info. I love my Trangia cookset, but I'll be hiking in the summer months this year and won't be doing a lot of cooking. Don't want to carry the weight of the Trangia when I won't use it everyday. Little help?

PS-It seems self explainitory, but I'm sure others have thought up stuff about this pot system that I won't think of.
    It is possible to use a Trangia with a Heineken pot for those so inclined. I recently built this pot stand:

It fits on top of a Trangia in place of the standard stands.

Basically it converts a Trangia to a Catstove while at the same time reducing the flame pattern to accomodate the narrow diameter of the beer can. It's constructed of three cans; A Spam spread can, a potted meat can, and a Michelob Ultra 10 ounce can:

Here's a video test:

http://creativehiking.blip.tv/#1228560

Early days but it seems as effecient as the Trangia used with a more conventional pot. Two cup boil times are between seven and eight minutes if prime times are included in the test.
    Skids

take a look at this one from zenstoves.net http://zenstoves.net/ZenStove.htm

Images

To go along with the system there have been a few items of interest that are known to be "add-Ons & accessories"

There are 18 pages of posts related to Heineken Pot Systems here on the thread named: "Pimp My Heine" add-ons & accessories

I have Kelvar wicking wrapped around my Heineken, stained with hot chocolate

++ New Posts ++