WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I remember reading an interesting entry in the punchbowl shelter register...

Apparently this guy was on a solo overnight and stayed there alone. In the middle of the night he woke up to what sounded like an animal in the shelter, but when he shined his light, there was a little boy rummaging through his pack. The boy was startled and ran off into the woods (the hiker didn't follow him because it was winter). Next morning he found his clothes folded neatly beside his pack.

Likely fabricated, but eery nonetheless. Especially when you're there!

Weird Hikes. Easy reading and moderately entertaining. None of the hikes were on the AT, though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    I remember reading an interesting entry in the punchbowl shelter register...

Apparently this guy was on a solo overnight and stayed there alone. In the middle of the night he woke up to what sounded like an animal in the shelter, but when he shined his light, there was a little boy rummaging through his pack. The boy was startled and ran off into the woods (the hiker didn't follow him because it was winter). Next morning he found his clothes folded neatly beside his pack.

Likely fabricated, but eery nonetheless. Especially when you're there!
    Kinda like a spiritual laundramat.

Images

Jesus Christ, I just haaad to come and read this thread. Jaws keeps me out of the water... Even lakes. The Blair Witch Project has haunted me forever and now this. Frikin great... This is why I don't like tarps and hammocks and my tent is the size of a small hotel. Screw bears, the first time I see a ghost, somebody is gonna get a new tentmate whether they like it or not. And any thru hikers reading this that might be scheming, just know that I have a specially designed boot for the sole purpose of going where the sun doesn't shine. Not that it's related, but is anyone looking for a hiking buddy? Haha
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Some legend surrounding Unaka mountian and an old indian spirit, but I can't remember the story....? Miss Janet would know.

Images

Unaka is CREEPY. I was up there in the fog and it looked like something straight out of a horror movie.

A great thing about these mountains is that they had legends and ghost stories attached to them before the first European ever stepped foot on North America. You have to wonder about legends that endure centuries of time.

-The blood on the rocks at Dark Mtn pre-dates Columbus. Not a place to be on a full moon night.
    -Fern Valley is absolutely beautiful but you will never see an animal in that valley.
    -The area the Cherokee and Catawba tribes fought and thousands died in one battle will give you cold chills.

While they're not supernatural events I have some great memories like:

-camping on the Pine Mtn Trail at Mount Rogers and hearing the coyotes howl on a full moon night. My second trip there I had one almost directly under my hammock at 3 am. He must have thought I was the worst smelling thing he'd ever seen in a tree.

-paddling four miles up the Little River one warm spring afternoon and staying out too long because the fish were biting. Then having to drift back downstream in the dark. My Brother and I could heard a bobcat screaming for 30 minutes before we finally rounded the bend where the rock juts out over the river. Sure enough the bobcat was on the rock six feet above our heads. He briefly looked down on us with distain and then with one leap disappeared into the dark. To fully appreciate this you must have experienced the mating calls of the bobcat. It sounds like a women screaming at the top of her lungs, repeatedly.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I never saw anything I would consider "alien" on the trail. However, I know a woman who swears that she saw am alien spacecraft land on a pond in the Adirondacks....
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    I never saw anything I would consider "alien" on the trail. However, I know a woman who swears that she saw am alien spacecraft land on a pond in the Adirondacks....
    Hey Hammock Hanger, I once saw two moons on the other side of a ravine.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

To fully appreciate this you must have experienced the mating calls of the bobcat. It sounds like a women screaming at the top of her lungs, repeatedly.
    And if you do, you will NEVER forget it!
    WALK ON

Once past Waynsboro Va,anyone on the AT going north has about a fifty-fifty chance of stepping on the site of a violent death due to wars and local dasterdly deeds,with every step they take.Life was once very cheap in the valley,very cheap.

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

Also there is the legandary Dudleytown up here in CT along what was part of the original AT, but now it is the Mohawk Trail. People have commented on everything from Blair Witch like stories, to supernatural animals, to sounds and cold chills. It always seems to be mentioned as one of the most haunted places in the NE. Do a search on Dudleytown on Google, you will find a bunch of stuff.

It is technically off limits, you can longer drive up to the area, if you do the neighbors will call the cops; the road is called Dark Entry Rd as well.... spookey. But you can access via foot on the Mohawk Trail.

A bizarre aside is that the area is a bird lovers paradise, many people go there to spot.

Also up the trail, there is a rumor that Sages Ravine is also haunted...
    http://www.curbstone.org/index.cfm?webpage=92

Some wierd stuff in them thar' hills...

Catch you later...
    KevBoy

Saw a ghost at the Doyle. Late at night I felt my bed shaking. I first thought it was just vibrations from the near by trains, but I didnt hear a train. When I finaly opened my eyes I saw some guy at the foot of the bed. Then I realized I could see through him and see the window behind him with dim light shining through him. He then walked to the side of the bed, and bent over and looked me in the eyes ,and said " Stop Snoring!!! You woke me up!!! ". In the morning I asked around but nobody had seen anything, but some guy was snoring so loud they couldnt get to sleep.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Saw a ghost at the Doyle. Late at night I felt my bed shaking. I first thought it was just vibrations from the near by trains, but I didnt hear a train. When I finaly opened my eyes I saw some guy at the foot of the bed. Then I realized I could see through him and see the window behind him with dim light shining through him. He then walked to the side of the bed, and bent over and looked me in the eyes ,and said " Stop Snoring!!! You woke me up!!! ". In the morning I asked around but nobody had seen anything, but some guy was snoring so loud they couldnt get to sleep.
    LOL, I've heard of people snoring so luod they could wake the dead. I guess it's true.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I remember looking up as I approached the summit of Snowbird Mountain and thinking that a spaceship had landed ...but maybe that was just the mushrooms !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    LOL, I've heard of people snoring so luod they could wake the dead. I guess it's true.
    Now that's funny!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    Hey Hammock Hanger, I once saw two moons on the other side of a ravine.
    Hope they wer round, full and shiney!!!
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I remember looking up as I approached the summit of Snowbird Mountain and thinking that a spaceship had landed ...but maybe that was just the mushrooms !!

'Slogger
    I saw that same spaceship, I must have eaten the same shrooms... perhaps they were in Mt Momma's burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Weelll...I have strange dreams about the Burningtown/Wayah Bald area and when I went there and took a picture at Burningtown Gap, low and behold, there was a Spirit Orb that showed up in the pic. Alright, it could be a reflection, but, I have nothing like it in any of my other pics. I had really strange dreams at Lemon Gap near Hot Springs. I'm talking vision dreams that you can remember every part of even years later. Brown Mountain Light Hunting Ruck sounds like fun.
    I had one of those dreams once, but it involved really tall wizards, people turning in to goblins, and a church.
    A t-shirt never made:
    I only do what the White Blazes tell me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A. Boyce View Post
    Also there is the legandary Dudleytown up here in CT along what was part of the original AT, but now it is the Mohawk Trail. People have commented on everything from Blair Witch like stories, to supernatural animals, to sounds and cold chills. It always seems to be mentioned as one of the most haunted places in the NE. Do a search on Dudleytown on Google, you will find a bunch of stuff.

It is technically off limits, you can longer drive up to the area, if you do the neighbors will call the cops; the road is called Dark Entry Rd as well.... spookey. But you can access via foot on the Mohawk Trail.
    Okay I have a story about Dudleytown. I am also from the NY/CT border and I used to hike the A.T. section near Kent a couple times a year. Last year I hiked the whole CT section (my first long distance trip) and my buddy who I hiked with told me about when he snuck into Dudleytown. He wouldn't let us sleep within twenty miles of the place.

He told me this story.

He snuck in with another person I know, and that persons older brother. They had a GPS, compass and all the other equiptment as they intended to overnight. Supposedly a whole extended family had lived up there and then one day they all were gone, no remains or anything, just dissapeared. Well when they neared the top of the hill they saw the remains of buildings with foundations and everything. The first thing they noticed was the silence and the fact that there were no animals anywhere around. They turned on the GPS and low and behold there was no signal, but the GPS was pretty much flipping out. If that was not weird enough the compass was just spinning around with no chance of working. They started hearing strange noises and seeing fleeting images, almost like leaves blowing, except there was no wind. After this they bolted. It doesn't sound like much, but he says that ever since the incident he has been plagued by nightmares and cold chills. He was nearly in tears telling me this story and by the end he was shivering even though we had gone miles on the trail in 85 degree weather. I was frightened just listening.
    -Geoffrey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++