WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Images

I just have to say, this is the first year I've been able to witness the very beginning of a NOBO season, and this community and its generous people give me hope in this world.

Keep puttin' one foot in front of the other Mr. Happy, Zero, and everyone else out there!
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Swiss- The Chocolate Bandito... yo Chocolate Bandito's Avatar
    Images

Default Goldrush and HellKat

Saw nobo Goldrush around noon today about 2 miles south of Tray Mtn. shelter. Hellkat had stayed at Tray the night of the 21st.
    "In the afternoon I watch the clouds drift past the bald peak of Mount Tukuhnikivats.
    (Someone has to do it.)"
    -Edward Abbey

All this talk is making me so excited... I'm about to mess my pants! I'm starting my nobo a month from today, and good lordy!
    Good luck to everyone who's out there already. Sounds like a hell of a time....

Don't believe everything you think. galaleemc's Avatar
    Images

Mr Happy and Hikernutt just left Cloud9. They said Zero should be here soon.

Cloud9 is open early this year due to some minor repair work in a bathroom. If you know anyone needing a place to stay.

Hikernutt decided she wanted OUT this morning (it was cold last night, stayed at Muskrat Creek Shelter) so we got picked up by Ron Haven at Standing Indian Campground (took the Kimsey Creek Trail). Will try to do some slackpacking or maybe just take it slow and let some people catch up so I'll have more company. I would have kept going but didn't feel like doing a below zero night alone. Hellkat was at the Muskrat Creek Shelter on the morning of the 24th.
    http://joshuamlee.com Photography

--Signor Felice

Got picked up just north of Hump Mnt. for a weekend of rest. Will get back on the trail early Monday morning and hope to be in VA by the first. Good luck and happy hiking to everyone who is out or getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Hikernutt decided she wanted OUT this morning (it was cold last night, stayed at Muskrat Creek Shelter) so we got picked up by Ron Haven at Standing Indian Campground (took the Kimsey Creek Trail). Will try to do some slackpacking or maybe just take it slow and let some people catch up so I'll have more company. I would have kept going but didn't feel like doing a below zero night alone. Hellkat was at the Muskrat Creek Shelter on the morning of the 24th.
    Good luck, Josh Lee. Some bread in P.Pal for you to snag a pizza. Sandalwood

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default Weather in Smokies

Has anyone hiked in the Smokies recently (maybe last w/e)? Any snow there?

I was looking at the Gatlinburg forecast, http://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/Gatlinburg.html , and from this it looks like the Smokies could be having some nasty weather later the week. Of course, it is January so what do we expect..

I think if hiked the AT in the Smokies again I would take enuff food to skip Gatlinburg.. i am curious, how many of u have done the Smokies in winter and skipped Gatlinburg?

NOTE: I put this in Class of 2007 forum/NOBO sightings thread because i thought maybe the 2007ers maybe interested in your reponse.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We are thinking of skipping Gatlinburg if the weather is good - since the weather can get nasty up there. For some reason the Smokies makes me a little nervous, so would like to get through them as quickly and safely as possible (glad the bears will still be hibernating in mid March).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default hot springs

I just got off the trail at hot springs on sat to take care of some personal business/let my IT band rest. I am heading back on the 10th, and wondering who might be around or close to there then. I will be hiking with a friend to erwin, but if anyone is around then some company would be a nice change after.

RE the smokies. I went through them in an easy 4 1/2 days last week. There was moderate snow, but Clingmans was *very* icy. A pair of junk instep crampons is worth taking. The section between mollie's ridge and double spring is a deceptively difficult 12 miles, and was easily the hardest part for me.

BTW, if you haven't made it through the smokies yet, stop at standing bear. They're ultra nice and it's a fun place to take a zero. If you stop there please tell sprocket that lee says hello. Also, the Sunny bank Inn in hot springs is cheap, very nice and worth stopping at if you need a day off.

Images

Have the blowdowns been cleared in the Smokies? In December, there were some blowdowns that were by far the most difficult-to-negotiate I ran into on the whole AT.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leep frog View Post
    I just got off the trail at hot springs on sat to take care of some personal business/let my IT band rest. I am heading back on the 10th, and wondering who might be around or close to there then. I will be hiking with a friend to erwin, but if anyone is around then some company would be a nice change after.

RE the smokies. I went through them in an easy 4 1/2 days last week. There was moderate snow, but Clingmans was *very* icy. A pair of junk instep crampons is worth taking. The section between mollie's ridge and double spring is a deceptively difficult 12 miles, and was easily the hardest part for me.

BTW, if you haven't made it through the smokies yet, stop at standing bear. They're ultra nice and it's a fun place to take a zero. If you stop there please tell sprocket that lee says hello. Also, the Sunny bank Inn in hot springs is cheap, very nice and worth stopping at if you need a day off.
    I hear Zero and Mr Happy are planning to hike thru the Smokies together starting early next week. http://2000miler.net/

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fly By Mike View Post
    I hear Zero and Mr Happy are planning to hike thru the Smokies together starting early next week. http://2000miler.net/
    Boy, they're gonna be in for one cold hike. The weather is turning much colder here in VA by mid-week next week with lows in the single digits in the valley. Lowest temps so far this winter. I wouldn't want to be up there unless I had a below zero bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Boy, they're gonna be in for one cold hike. The weather is turning much colder here in VA by mid-week next week with lows in the single digits in the valley. Lowest temps so far this winter. I wouldn't want to be up there unless I had a below zero bag.
    Thanks, Blissful. When Mr Happy calls I'll pass on the news. Enjoyed reading your blog. Happy trails.

Hey marta,
    Is this the same marta as 5-leaf clover? I ran into you before standing indian in the rain, and again at the ruck.

The blow downs through the smokies were not too bad, so they must've been cleared. I ran tinto ridge-runner Jim, and he had been out cutting small stuff and cleaning the shelters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leep frog View Post
    Hey marta,
    Is this the same marta as 5-leaf clover? I ran into you before standing indian in the rain, and again at the ruck.

The blow downs through the smokies were not too bad, so they must've been cleared. I ran tinto ridge-runner Jim, and he had been out cutting small stuff and cleaning the shelters.
    Yep, that's me.

Too bad bad for you about the blowdowns being gone. They were quite...interesting.

You have really been having the weather so far on your hike. Where are you now?

Cheers!
    Marta/Five-Leaf
    Last edited by Marta; 02-01-2007 at 14:17.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I'm at hot springs right now, actually i'm at home taking a week off to do some phone interviews I had scheduled, take the pup to the vet and rest up a bit--IT band acting up. So I missed most of the crap weather since last Saturday, but Max Patch sure was cold and gorgeous!

I did hit some pretty big blowdowns between Clingman's and the Beech Forest Inclosure, according to my journal at least, but I somehow managed to edit the annoyance they caused...

Otherwise things are settling in well, hiking is going nicely and although it's nice to spend a few days eating, and um, drinking, with my friends, I'm feeling antsy and ready to get back to the trail asap.

Just checking in real quick. Made it to Damascus yesterday. Desided to take a week off with the weather getting so cold, plus I have been making good time. Will be back in Damascus Friday or Saterday to knock out VA in about 4 weeks.

I remember the blow downs too leap frog. The last one was a real interesting set of 3-4 that required climbing and crawling if I remember correctly. Hope they get that cleared before too many others come through.

Good luck to everyone hiking and planning

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

G.H.O.S.T. , do u have a journal?

Been keeping a personal one, but with everything my family has been doing to help me didn't want to put transcribing on their plate too.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++