WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    For those on this list, I want to recommend a Southern Ruck in the fall in Cass, WV. You have the Allegheny Trail, the Greenbriar River Trail, and the Railroad for folks to take a ride on. There are plenty of accomodations, and the prices are very reasonable. Anyone in WV or the nearby environs think that's a winning idea?

I would be in for this. I might even be able to get the hubby to come along, he loves trains.

Have to make sure it does not run to close to the BMT get together. Or if it were just one weekend away I could find some woods to hike in between the two... would save on 2 drives north. (Always thinking of a way to get a hike in. )
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

For those on this list, I want to recommend a Southern Ruck in the fall in Cass, WV. You have the Allegheny Trail, the Greenbriar River Trail, and the Railroad for folks to take a ride on. There are plenty of accomodations, and the prices are very reasonable. Anyone in WV or the nearby environs think that's a winning idea?
    Count me in for sure! I will have finished my thru by then and it will be great to share ALT stories with others in the area.

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    With a screen name like rufous-sided towhee and a residence near Morgantown, you likely already have visited Core Arboretum maintained by WVU's Department of Biology. I first came to know and love it as a student at WVU and it remains one of my favorite places anywhere.
    I haven't had the pleasure yet, since I'm a recent transplant here. But it's on my list of awesome things about WV that I am looking forward to experiencing. Thanks for the link!

Images

For those on this list, I want to recommend a Southern Ruck in the fall in Cass, WV.
    That's a great idea! I'll be there!

Quote from Bloodroot
    I am from Lewisburg.

That's a great town. I always said if I didn't live in Fayetteville, I would live in Lewisburg. I have family there. There's just a few more outdoor opportunities in my town, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, oh, and hiking!

I think the Southern and Northern Rucks have been established for a couple of years now and I would dought that the regulars for those events would want to have it moved to a new location. So on that thought, why not start a Mid Atlantic Ruck, say around 2nd week of November or there abouts. Just thinking out loud.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rufous Sided Towhee View Post
    Hi, HH! I have a very flexible schedule, so right now my only plan time-wise is to be on the trail when it starts to look/smell/feel like spring or at least the start of spring. Not sure when that is up here. I'm thinking of spending most of a month thru-ing the ALT in a leisurely way. How about you? What piece did you do in the past?
    I believe it was from the WV border south to Pearisburg. The trail actually ended up on the mountain but we hiked on into Pearisburg.

I will probably be on the ALT this summer late Jun/early July.

Enjoy your hike.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    I believe it was from the WV border south to Pearisburg. The trail actually ended up on the mountain but we hiked on into Pearisburg.

I will probably be on the ALT this summer late Jun/early July.

Enjoy your hike.
    Yeah, I've seen the sign at the trailhead on Peters Mountain about a day's hike north of Pearisburg along the AT.

I'll prob be done w/my thru by the end of May. I plan to do a detailed trail journal and also possibly write an article about the trip. Will post here once my trailjournal is up and has some entries in it.

Happy Hiking!

Images

Yeah, I've seen the sign at the trailhead on Peters Mountain about a day's hike north of Pearisburg along the AT.

I'll prob be done w/my thru by the end of May. I plan to do a detailed trail journal and also possibly write an article about the trip. Will post here once my trailjournal is up and has some entries in it.

Happy Hiking!
    I'll be looking forward to reading from libraries along the trail. HH

Default Update on ALT Hiking Guides

Great news...the folks at the West Virginia Scenic Trails Association have been awesome. They have emailed me tons of info, including names and contact info for each of the four section coordinators.

And, I am meeting the Section 1 (northernmost section) coordinator for lunch in Morgantown this tuesday!! I will be able to buy the most recent Trail Guide direct from her over lunch.

Huge thumbs-up to the WVSTA!

That's fantastic!
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Great news...the folks at the West Virginia Scenic Trails Association have been awesome. They have emailed me tons of info, including names and contact info for each of the four section coordinators.

And, I am meeting the Section 1 (northernmost section) coordinator for lunch in Morgantown this tuesday!! I will be able to buy the most recent Trail Guide direct from her over lunch.

Huge thumbs-up to the WVSTA!
    be sure to share...

Default Update

Things are progressing nicely on my preparation for the thru. I did indeed meet Elsa Nadler, the Section 1 coordinator, in Morgantown last week. She was nifty, and a fount of great info. I purchased the hiking guide and maps from her as well, thank you Elsa!

A few days later I was up near the WV/PA border and scouted out the northern terminus of the ALT. It's mostly country-road walking, but pictureque and very well-blazed (by Elsa herself, I discovered).

Oddly, neither the hiking guide nor the WVSTA offers an overview map of the entire trail, so I have created one myself. Using the WVSTA's topos, I have mapped the route on street altas and now have an overview map complete with lat/long coords for all major points of the trail. I will be glad to share my maps with the hiking community.

Well, that's the update. Spring's getting closer every day!

RST

Images

I'd never heard of the ALT until this Thanksgiving when I stayed with my parents at Blackwater Falls State Park. It sounds like an awesome walk. I'd love to see the overview map, RST. If you resupply in Davis, there's a great pizza place on the main street.

Images

Default Allegheny Trail

I live near the southern end of the Allegheny Trail just north of Pine swamp shelter...It would be my pleasure to shuttle hikers from or to Pearisburg from my house.....phone 540-626-5409 or email [email protected]

Default 1st rough draft over ALT overview map

For anyone interested, here is my first rough draft of the Allegheny Trail overview map. The final version will, of course, have all of the proper map elements, like scale, legend, north arrow, etc etc.

Here is it: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=14403&c=553

Note the missing section to the south, this is the part that the WVSTA cautions is not done yet. Apparently there is a shuttle available, more on that when I get the info.

I also plan to produce an overview map for each of the four sections, and those will include lat/long data for the key points along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
    I live near the southern end of the Allegheny Trail just north of Pine swamp shelter...It would be my pleasure to shuttle hikers from or to Pearisburg from my house.....phone 540-626-5409 or email [email protected]
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

If anyone has any questions on the Greenbrier River Trail section (i.e. resupply, lodging, places to stop and visit etc)... please feel free to ask.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Images

Default Great thread!

This thread started good and keeps getting better. It's one of my favorites now active. Let's keep it positive and keep adding to it. West Virginia is a great place populated by a whole lot of good folks.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-17-2007 at 13:55. Reason: Spelling!

Images

I'm going to get out some of the maps that were sent to me and find out exactly what piece of the ALT I will be on. Then I will know who to contact... Not that I'll need help or anything

Images

Default Come home to West Virginia ...

America's best-kept secret, come and see!

--from a TV commericial, featuring Kathy Mattea at Seneca Rocks, when I was a student at WVU. She was an engineering student there and a good one, I heard, before getting other ideas.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-16-2007 at 23:00. Reason: Substituted correct word.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++