WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tagg Run Shelter aka James M Fry Shelter

A new structure with a loft. Didn't stay there, just passed by.

Here's a picture.

Pb

it's a good place to stay. Very nice piped spring a little up the hill from the shelter. There's a quarry nearby that shuts down by 5 and then it's nice and quiet, woodsy. Privy up the hill from the shelter is comically overbuilt--huge, two thrones, elaborately counterweighted door. Someone spent a lot of time with a scratch pad over a long winter.

Default Tagg Run Shelter

Several years ago on a fall overnight trip, I stayed here. I enjoyed the bunks. Noone else was there.
    mini-m.

Images

I used to be the maintainer of this shelter. I assisted in the construction of the new James Fry shelter. I must say I am proud of the new shelter. But I pushed for one of the old shelters to remain. They were constructed by the CCC and with all the old shelters being replaced I thought it would be nice to keep one around. But alas both were torn down. One problem with the placement of the shelter is, it is in close proximity to hunter's run road. So the shelter gets it's fair share of weekend partiers. But a nice stop nontheless. I nolonger maintain it due to family and work constraints. But hope to once again take up my broom and get back to maintaining the shelter again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs
    I used to be the maintainer of this shelter. I assisted in the construction of the new James Fry shelter. I must say I am proud of the new shelter. But I pushed for one of the old shelters to remain. They were constructed by the CCC and with all the old shelters being replaced I thought it would be nice to keep one around. But alas both were torn down.
    Was the old Tagg run shelter closer to the run itself, not as high uphill? it seemed like the map put it very close to the run, and there was a sign saying to keep going uphill, as tho' someone realized the new shelter location didn't correspond to what was on the maps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cascader
    Was the old Tagg run shelter closer to the run itself, not as high uphill? it seemed like the map put it very close to the run, and there was a sign saying to keep going uphill, as tho' someone realized the new shelter location didn't correspond to what was on the maps.
    The new shelter is in the same location as the old shelters. As a matter of fact it is built directly on top of the location of the first shelter. There used to be two small shelters there.

Here's a classic journal entry from the old Tag Run Shelters:

"Some tourists (in the Pine Grove Store) were really loading up the dumb questions -

Where do you sleep? - In shelters!

Is this a shelter? - No, mam, this is a store!

Where do you get food? - From stores like this!

Don't you talk to your parents? - Yes, mam, on the telephone!

BRO Perry Biddle GA to ME '84"

Stayed at this large shelter 4/21/06. Everything in good shape. Rained all day and night and the 2 springs were still dry. 4 large bunks can hold 2 each if you have to. Plenty of floor space - 15 in our group. Picnic table in front of shelter and another 25 yards to the left of the shelter in the large tenting area. The sign for the shelter is a little high on the tree-right side for NOBO-easily missed for SOBO. Turnoff is just south of the footbridge across Tagg Run. Nice flat tent area between trail and creek. Tim ( owner of Tagg Run Restaurant) allows parking (at your own risk)at his diner which is .25 mile south of AT road crossing. We hiked in the downpour Saturday to Pine Grove Furnace Park. Fun was had by all. (yeah right).

Images

The tenting area is extensive, but only about 12 square feet of it is level. I was there last month and some dirtbikes had ridden through the tent area and tore it up pretty good.

Not a bad shelter. We hike the entire day with dread, hearing that a troop of boy scouts had setup camp there. When we arrived, however, they were gone (Thank You Jesus). The rain and thunder started almost as soon as we arrived. Moon Goat and his dog Otto showed up shortly thereafter. Just before dark, we were joined by the local ridgerunner - young guy, I forget his name. He made for some nice conversation as he had done the thru-hike himself in 2005.

The shelter has nice bunks, but it was just the three of us (the ridgerunner camped in his tent). The composting privey is pretty classy. The counter-balanced door lets you balance it open for the "crapping-in-the-woods-but-not" experience.

The spring was supposedly dry, which provoked me to haul 150 pounds of water from Pine Grove Furnace. When we got there, the spring was indeed dry, but you could easily get water another 20 yards down stream. Also, the 0.4 mile hike to the spring listed in some of the books is BS. So all-in-all, I hauled a bunch of worthless water weight for nothing - but being positive, I look at it as an accomplishment.

Rained all night, which sounded nice on the corregated roof. Slept like a baby - or a baby that carried 150 pounds of water the day bofore anyway.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Latest news on James Fry (Tagg Run) Sheleter

The spring at the shelter is dry.
    The spring off a blue-blazed trail a short walk south of the trail to the shelter has a few liters of silty water in it -- no flow.
    Tagg Run is flowing fine, but water MUST be purifiied due to agricultural run-off upstream.

Tagg Run Campground is now Cherokee Campground. The AT has been re-routed to keep hikers -- who apparently have been using the facilities without permission -- away from this camp.

The ONLY place to park near Hunter's Run is at a clearly marked parking area, surrounded by boulders, at the intersection of Hiway 34 and Green Mountain Road. It is about 500 yards south of where the AT crosses Hiway 34, and could hold 15-20 cars. Parking on Pine Grove Road is NOT recommended.

Stopped here on a dayhike from Pine Grove Furnace. Getting some wear and tear. One of the loft windows is broken. Privy looks really nice. The spring near the shelter is running now.

Also someone left a sleeping bag on one of the bunks. According to the log, the owner did not make it to the shelter.

Does anyone have recent info on the spring at this shelter or the one listed .4 south of here?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    The new shelter is in the same location as the old shelters. As a matter of fact it is built directly on top of the location of the first shelter. There used to be two small shelters there.
    I know this is an ancient thread, but just to set the record straight...the two shelters discussed WERE much closer to the stream (and road). They were much closer to the old Tagg Run (now Cherokee) Campground. They were moved log by log and rebuilt in the present location in 1976 I believe. I belong to the maintaining club and worked on this project. Later (not sure of the year) the old shelters were demolished and the new single larger one built as discussed above. A month or two the old windows were replaced.

Spent the night at Tagg Run (James M. Fry) two nights ago and the spring nearest the shelter was dry. Tagg Run was flowing however.

is there a bear box at this shelter? there was one at Alec Kenney shelter a few clicks north.

Dont recall one, while I was there twice last year, I stayed at the camp area next to the creek where the connector trail to the shelter starts. If you're in the area, you should make time for a little side hike to the Twirly Top- good food and ice cream. Of course if you go thru Pine Grove and do the Ice Cream challange at the store across from the AT Museum, you probably wont be interested in the Twirly Top

I know twirly top all too well and a guaranteed visit every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Dont recall one, while I was there twice last year, I stayed at the camp area next to the creek where the connector trail to the shelter starts. If you're in the area, you should make time for a little side hike to the Twirly Top- good food and ice cream. Of course if you go thru Pine Grove and do the Ice Cream challange at the store across from the AT Museum, you probably wont be interested in the Twirly Top

Visited the privy 4/13 and happy to report there is a box

++ New Posts ++