WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Birch Run Shelters

A pair of 1940s structures. Some new construction between the shelters indicates replacements are in the works.

Here's a picture.

Pb

Default Birch Run Shelter

I just finished reading a book dealing with the murder of two female hikers near these shelters in 1988. Wondering if there are any type memorials to the two in the area?
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Images

All those small twin shelters in southern Pa. are known as the Pennsylvania Doll Houses. The two at Quarry Gap just north of Caledonia Park have been connected by one roof. Tagg Run just north of Pine Grove Furnace St.Park used to have twin shelters too, but the Boy Scouts caught one of them on fire and it was decided to tear them both down and build a new shelter...the current James Fry shelter. Retread

I was hiking out there a couple months back. Hadn't been to Birch Run since 2001 and had to walk around the shelter a few times until I realized there was no longer two shelters. Just one big "new and improved" one.
    Last edited by ganj; 03-18-2004 at 00:54. Reason: to edit

I live only several miles from Birch Run...the new Birch Run Shelter is def. posh but its location so close to the road is known for local boy scout troops and college partiers. I've always had good experiences there, but it can get crowded. Sweet campsite about a 1/4 south.

Images

Very nice shelter with plywood bunks inside. Great water source right in front of the shelter. Covered porch with a picnic table. Could use a few more mouse hangers. There is one all the way up at the peak of the ceiling, but no way to reach it. There appeared to be several nice tent spots close by. The privy was a little dingy, but most of them are. I spent a great night here about a month ago. Surprisingly, it wasn't crowded despite it being memorial day weekend.

ahh .....shelters. gods gift to hikers. blessed home. fluffy dry. welcome company. these are the best structures man has ever built.
    matthewski

Nice new shelter. Stopped by for lunch and almost wished we could have stayed for the night.

Beautiful! love it compared to the old shelters. Well Done. :-)

Stayed at Birch Run last saturday night. Beautiful shelter with good company. Water was plentiful. Recommend this shelter along with a couple others on my section hike. Quarry Gap (did not stay), Tumbling Run, (did not stay). Ed Garvy (stayed) all nice shelters. I also have to say thanks to Bonepac at the Free State Hostel great place and good people.
    The Big J

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    I just finished reading a book dealing with the murder of two female hikers near these shelters in 1988. Wondering if there are any type memorials to the two in the area?
    chappy,
    I didn't know there was a book about this- I'm pretty sure it happened at the first shelter south of duncannon.. rocky mt maybe? I didn't see any memorials in the area but when we got in to that particular shelter there was a pile of shotgun shells on the picnic table..ironic considering the history..

Quote Originally Posted by desiderata View Post
    chappy,
    I didn't know there was a book about this- I'm pretty sure it happened at the first shelter south of duncannon.. rocky mt maybe? I didn't see any memorials in the area but when we got in to that particular shelter there was a pile of shotgun shells on the picnic table..ironic considering the history..
    Alas there has been more than one murder of hikers in south-central PA. The 1988 incident is chronicled in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Bullets-.../dp/1563410559 That book reports the incident to have occurred on the Rocky Knob Trail which is a nature/dayhike loop off the A.T. just south of Big Flat, or between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace State Parks just Trail-south of the half way point. I have hiked the RKT numerous times and if there is a memorial, I've never spotted it.

I remember this story very well.I was at the site about a week after it happened,it was all taped off.the guy who did it went by the name of mountian man.he lived in caves near by near the town of cleversburg.

This is a GREAT shelter, newly polyed and lots of bunks. Great tenting. The water source is running strong clear and cold!

also has a fly catcher nest (like most of the PA SH we saw last week)
    ~Christy

OHHHH and I forgot to mention there is a great Bear pole at the site. no need to hang your food in the SH!
    ~Christy

Images

Just an update on this shelter

Still nice as can be. Good water last weekend when we were there. Few locals walked in from the road. We came up from Caledonia SP.

Images

I went out there today and they now have a food hangers (to prevent Bears from "sharing you supper" with you)
    Great shelter
    "It will be a great day when schools have all the books they need and the Air Force has to have a bake sale to buy a bomber" (Unknown..to me at least if you know who said this I'll put their name here)

There are no BEARS at the BIRCH RUN SHELTER. I have lived for 18 years on the mountain a mere mile from the shelter and have never seen a bear in that area. I have hiked and hunted the big flat area and neither myself or anyone I know have observed bears in that area.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm going thru there this weekend...I'll look & let you know.

Journal Entries

I did not plan on staying here but ended up in a conversation with a volunteer who was doing work on the shelters and so I ended up painting the floor of one and staying in the other. It was a great stop!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++