WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Filter freezing

last night was my first time experiencing camping below freezing. Lots of things happened that I wasn't prepared for, and one was my Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter freezing up. I made sure I pumped about all of the water out of the filter I could after I was done with my filtering, but the pump handle still froze up. What is the solution to this? Perhaps taking the filter completely out? Even then there would probably still be a small amount of water inside.

You could try keeping it someplace warm, inside your coat or your bag. I have successful warmed up frozen lines in my jacket, but be careful where the hose ends are. Maybe use a ziplock.

I prefer using Polar Pur in winter. I keep the bottle in a pocket. I am a bit concerned about freezing the paper filter.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

"you can't judge the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump"
    kidding aside, that is another one of the big drawbacks to filters, and those dromedery bags or whatever their calling them these days.
    My friends' bladder froze up and then leaked all over his clothes and sleeping bag when we were in the Himalayas in 2004.
    Not a good time to have wet clothes at 17,000'.
    Either learn to find good water or use chlorox.
    Also, it is a good idea to put your water bottle upside down when you think it might freeze. The ice often only forms on the top.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Also, it is a good idea to put your water bottle upside down when you think it might freeze. The ice often only forms on the top.
    ====================================

...and blow the water out of any tubing !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I t5ypcially don't bother with a filter in the winter, preferring to carry extra fuel (especially if there is snow where I am going).
    However, a couple of sturdy gallon-sized freezer bags should keep any water remnants from leaking in your sleeping bag as that is probably the best place to keep it.
    Also, be weary, the ceramic filter element may have been damaged by freezing as well. I recall some kind of test from my old First Need filter 16 years ago (maybe with food coloring), to see if the filter element is still intact.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    last night was my first time experiencing camping below freezing. Lots of things happened that I wasn't prepared for, and one was my Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter freezing up. I made sure I pumped about all of the water out of the filter I could after I was done with my filtering, but the pump handle still froze up. What is the solution to this? Perhaps taking the filter completely out? Even then there would probably still be a small amount of water inside.
    There will be a small amount of water left inside no matter how well you pump it. (To see how much, at home disassemble it and let it dry thoroughly. Re-asemble it, weight it, and use it, then pump it dry. Weigh it again.

My Katadyn Hiker froze overnight at Carter Gap this past March. Carried it frozen for a few hours. At Fishin Fred's Trail Magic at Albert Mtn, I was going to pour warm water on it to thaw it out, but it was working okay by then.

I would hesitate to put it in my (down) bag with me at night, even in a ZipLoc.

I hope to do some hiking this January. I think I will do as Alligator and use Polar Pure. That small a bottle I should be able to keep from freezing by keeping is somewhere near my body during the day and in my sleeping bag at night.
    Frosty

One problem with treating water with chemicals in winter is that it takes considerably longer with cold water. Read the labels on the bottles.

Images

I have an MSR Sweetwater filter that my wife and I use year round. In the winter I put the filter in a large zip lock bag and keep it in my sleeping bag at night and inside my jacket or vest during the day. I usually fill our pot with water at night and then put the cover on it. That way if it freezes during the night I can melt it on the stove come morning.

I've used the MSR MIOX down to 10 degrees and it is rated to -20. It is smilar to a chemical treatment rather than a filter, but is a good option in the winter

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I usually fill our pot with water at night and then put the cover on it. That way if it freezes during the night I can melt it on the stove come morning.
    Now that's what I should have done
    Frosty

++ New Posts ++