WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Sheltowee Trace

Default Star Creek Shelter is ready!

As of today, the Star Creek Shelter is ready with the last of the new roof installed this afternoon along with some additional clearing of brush. Star Creek Shelter is a little over 5 miles north from Cumberland Falls and is now easily visible from the Trace. The creek, about 100' beyond the shelter, provides an excellent water source and features a waterfall from the cliffs above visible during wetter seasons.

This completes repairs started last November. The shelter is in fine shape now, waiting for some hikers!

How much of the trail from the northern starting point to 30miles of Morehead area is road hiking?

I have started hiking the Trace again this year about a couple of weeks ago. I am hiking it with a machete and a small camp saw. My plans are to clear the trail of all the small blowdowns, debris and cut back the thorns. I have already gone through Sections 1 and 5. Those sections, with the exception of some larger blowdowns that I couldn't clear with the tools I have, are passable. Most of the blowdowns can be climbed over or ducked under. I will be going back out to clear Sections 2, 3 and 4 on Monday or Tuesday. Then I will skip ahead and continue on Section 6 and go north to finish up the Northbound hike. I will be turning around at the end and will hike the Trace south as a yo-yo hike. I will be releasing an updated 2012 version of the Northbound Manual and will have an addition one published for Southbound.

Thanks Taba, I am trying to get my nephews in KY to hike with me 5-7 days in Sept.
    I have a brother who lives in Maysville so it would be easier for us to start at the north and go south. Is you book available in book store in KY? I will be up there for a reunion in July and want to pick one up.

Images

Hello,
    You can buy Taba manual from his website or from the Sheltowee Trace Association site www.sheltoweetrace.org.

To answer your question, the Sheltowee Trace from the Northern Terminus to Morehead is not on any hard surface roads. There are a couple places where you walk on Forest Road, especially when you transition south of I-64 overpass. If you want to go past Morehead and Rt 32 trailhead, there is about an 8 mile walk around Morehead on Rt 32 to Bluestone Rd over to U.S. 60 then back on the trail at Triplett creek over to Cumberland District Hqrs. Then a mile or so on the road across the dam and Cave Run before you are back in the woods.

Visit our webpage to view the current status of trail conditions. It is downloadable on the Trailcheck page.

steve barbour
    Executive Director
    The STA
    606-584-7744
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

headed to big south fork area thursday. gonna base camp out of yahoo area with the family. any suggestions?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    headed to big south fork area thursday. gonna base camp out of yahoo area with the family. any suggestions?
    Alum Ford Campground is nice if you need a tent pad / picnic table / fire ring type setup. They also have pit toilets. A nice backpacking loop it to park at the Negro Creek trailhead and hike the Negro Creek trail down to the Sheltowee, hang a right on the Sheltowee and take it into Alum Ford campground for the night. The next day continue on the Sheltowee until you hit the Yahoo Arch Trail and take it back to your car.

Alum Ford Campground info:

http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/alumfordcampground.htm

Here is a map link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/districts/stearns/612ste.pdf

Default Yahoo Falls

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    Sole, Not much at Yahoo falls. You can do the falls and the arch in a single day. Not sure how long you are going to be in the area. From that area, you can drive over to Cumberland Falls pretty easily and hike over to Oxbow and back. If you dont mind a little bit of a drive, the 5 mile loop around Twin Arches is pretty nice too.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie Swift View Post
    Alum Ford Campground is nice if you need a tent pad / picnic table / fire ring type setup. They also have pit toilets. A nice backpacking loop it to park at the Negro Creek trailhead and hike the Negro Creek trail down to the Sheltowee, hang a right on the Sheltowee and take it into Alum Ford campground for the night. The next day continue on the Sheltowee until you hit the Yahoo Arch Trail and take it back to your car.

Alum Ford Campground info:

http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/alumfordcampground.htm

Here is a map link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/districts/stearns/612ste.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Sole, Not much at Yahoo falls. You can do the falls and the arch in a single day. Not sure how long you are going to be in the area. From that area, you can drive over to Cumberland Falls pretty easily and hike over to Oxbow and back. If you dont mind a little bit of a drive, the 5 mile loop around Twin Arches is pretty nice too.

are there any decent places to camp around yahoo falls?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++