WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My method is best. No treating or filtering. You're a sissy if you do.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Alright, enough of this agreement garbage. We, as WB members have a certain reputation to maintain. My method is the bomb and you're a punk sissy fool if you don't agree.

Unless The Empress BadAss Turtle agrees with you, in which case I'm the punk sissy fool.
    ==========================================

You're living dangerously son ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ==========================================

You're living dangerously son ...

'Slogger
    The similarities between Austin Powers and myself are striking. We both have bad teeth, we're British and our middle name is Danger!
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

The similarities between Austin Powers and myself are striking. We both have bad teeth, we're British and our middle name is Danger!
    =========================

Yeah BABY ...

'Slogger

Images

Looks like our work here is done. Round up Hammerhead, 1/2Pint, JJ and Lacbe and report to the holodeck at your earliest convenience.

Images

Looks like our work here is done. Round up Hammerhead, 1/2Pint, JJ and Lacbe and report to the holodeck at your earliest convenience.
    ======================================

I thought we were on authorized LOA ?? Wassup ??

'Slogger

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post

I thought we were on authorized LOA ?? Wassup ??

'Slogger
    Uh, I can't count?

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    The tablets look interesting... but read the fine print. Whereas iodine and (liquid) Aqua-Mira become effective after 1/2 hour, the wait time for the tablets (IIRC) was 4 hours!!!
    I didn't go back and check but as I remember the 4-hour wait was specific to crypto. None the less, both the tablets and the liquid AquaMira are great advancements, IMO.

What I'm doing now is carrying a Bota water filter bottle and the chlorine dioxide. The Bota is great for immediate drinks along the trail, the chemical good for doing larger quantities of water when there's some time...like in the evening in camp.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    What I'm doing now is carrying a Bota water filter bottle and the chlorine dioxide. The Bota is great for immediate drinks along the trail, the chemical good for doing larger quantities of water when there's some time...like in the evening in camp.
    I've been thinking along those lines. To me, the main problem with the chemical treatments is that you can't "camel up" at water sources. The Bota (or an equivalent) would get around that.

Images

[quote=Fiddleback;292303]I didn't go back and check but as I remember the 4-hour wait was specific to crypto. None the less, both the tablets and the liquid AquaMira are great advancements, IMO.

Exactly why I now carry a combination of the two. I use AquaMira (or Klearwater) during the day and the tablets over night. I typically gather water in a 4 liter platy at night time. I pour off what I need for dinner and let the boiling handle those bugs. Then I add the tablets to the remaining water in the platy and let it set all night. It not only makes the water safe but cleans out the platy.

'Slogger

Default The safety of backcountry water

http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/...e=04&page=0235

From journal of wilderness medical society, more food for thought and personal-group hygine.
    WALK ON

[quote=Footslogger;292361Exactly why I now carry a combination of the two. I use AquaMira (or Klearwater) during the day and the tablets over night. I typically gather water in a 4 liter platy at night time. I pour off what I need for dinner and let the boiling handle those bugs. Then I add the tablets to the remaining water in the platy and let it set all night. It not only makes the water safe but cleans out the platy.

'Slogger[/quote]

I virtually always carry an alcohol soda can stove. My water seldom reaches boiling and never stays at that point long enough to be effective treatment. But I like the idea of using both the liquid and tablet treatments!

I should have added in my post that my method (Bota filter bottle during the day on the trail, and AquaMira or tablets at night in camp) works very well because all my trips here in this area have featured lots of creeks, rivers and lakes. Hikes with widely separated water sources and/or harsh heat would require carrying more water and diminish the convenience of the Bota. Otherwise, it's really great to stop, refill the Bota as desired, and drink confidently and copiously with no waiting.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

2005 Camino de santiago

Default E. Coli Happens

It doesnt much matter what one does-whether use it all or nothing-

E.Coli Happens!

Images

Default AM - multifunctional?

I was in the Atlanta, GA (Perimeter Mall) REI a couple of weeks ago when I realized they were no longer (at least in this location) carrying Aqua Mira. When I asked a sales rep why not, he replied that they were trying to limit "over the counter" purchases since it can be used in Crystal Meth production. However, he told me that I could purchase AM online.

Now I haven't done my homework to see if his claim holds any validity, but if it's true, then perhaps AM isn't quite as useless as many of the previous posters have stated

Footnote: My wife and I used AM on our entire thru hike and never got any waterborn illnesses...and we drank out of some very "suspect" water sources.

Images

After going to rei.com, I couldn't find Aqua Mira for sell there either. Hmmmm...

Images

Last time I was in the Atlanta store I was informed that REI was no longer carrying Aqua Mira; the clerk told me that "all Aqua Mira does is improve the taste of water." At least he had heard of Mountain Crossings, so he wasn't totally uninformed about the hiking world.

Last time I was in the Atlanta store I was informed that REI was no longer carrying Aqua Mira; the clerk told me that "all Aqua Mira does is improve the taste of water." At least he had heard of Mountain Crossings, so he wasn't totally uninformed about the hiking world.

Last time I checked -- about three weeks ago, my local REI was carrying the tablets but not the liquid form of AM.

There's a fella on AT-L who swears by Clorox bleach for water treatment. "Just a couple of drops" per quart. Anyone else use that strategy?

Images

There's a fella on AT-L who swears by Clorox bleach for water treatment. "Just a couple of drops" per quart. Anyone else use that strategy?
    ========================================

I heard it's kinda rough on the suntan ...

'Slogger

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/...e=04&page=0235

From journal of wilderness medical society, more food for thought and personal-group hygine.
    Folks...this is a really cool link, read it!
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Images

Last time I checked -- about three weeks ago, my local REI was carrying the tablets but not the liquid form of AM.

Hi, Terrapin - see post 53 on this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=19174&page=2

I've carried bleach in an eye-dropper bottle as a back-up purification system. My buddy with the CDC has stated something like, "....if we could get wide distribution of bleach in 3rd world countries and train them how to use it, we could virtually eliminate water-borne intestinal illnesses...." Personally I wouldn't rely on as sole source for a LD hike, tho......
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++