WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I've carried bleach in an eye-dropper bottle as a back-up purification system.
    ... as a backup to what? What's your primary system, if I may ask?

FWIW, I googled on "clorox bleach water treatment" and found this interesting notice from the American Red Cross:

http://www.rense.com/general2/watrpur.htm

Images

You guys are so messed up adding chemicals to water that you've probably paid to drink at the store or while on vacation. Spring water is great, none better.

All of that jazz is marketing meant to target your fears.

Become knowlegable and respect our natural water sources.

However, I don't recommend drinking 2 liters of unpurified schulkykill water especially when a dead dear carcass lies in the river 200 yards up (found him later). Oh well, never got sick from that one either.

I MISS my mountain water!!! I had to buy a RO filter when I got back b/c that chlorine taste is so foul.
    See ya when I get there.

Bleach can be effective for treatment against bacteria and is "somewhat effective" against giardia. However, bleach apparently is not totally effective against protozoa and viruses. Further, the user must avoid bleach with additives and use only unscented bleach. Also, bleach ages, especially if not sealed properly, and over time will lose its effectiveness as a water treatment.

But speaking of illicit drugs...

I learned today that iodine now is held behind the counter...at least it is at my WalMart. When I asked why, the pharmacist said it was to monitor large purchases as it can be used to manufacture drugs. That was news to me and now I wish I had asked which drugs.

In any case, the pharmacy didn't have any so I have to wait 'til next week. I carry it in my first aid kit in lieu of alternative antiseptics because I can use it as a backup water treatment although it's not as effective as the chlorine-dioxide--based treatments and, like bleach, is not effective against crypto.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    ... as a backup to what? What's your primary system, if I may ask?

FWIW, I googled on "clorox bleach water treatment" and found this interesting notice from the American Red Cross:

http://www.rense.com/general2/watrpur.htm
    Good link, terrapin. It's consistent w/ what Clorox told my buddy - 4 drops / quart...

I use Aqua Mira as my primary water treatment method.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++