WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Default Tom Leonard Lean-to

Shelter is the four-bunk style with loft overhanging a picnic table. It is in great shape. Water was located to the left of the shelter this weekend. I imagine that source goes dry during the summer -- then you can find water about 1/4 mile down the path on the right side of the shelter (which is also the way to the privy.)

The shelter has one tent platform on a hillside with a beatiful view as well.

-- Ivy

A very beautiful and majic place. The chipmonks have overthrown the mice. A sweet camping spot overlooking a clean revine just past it heading north.

Images

As of June 21 the intermittent stream very near the shelter is flowing well, so no need to make the 1/2 mile downhill hike to the more reliable water supply. Southbounders need to watch carefully for this shelter, as the sign is 30 yards left of the trail.

Default Parking

According to 'Exploring the Appalachian Trail' parking is available on Lake Buel Road - does anyone know if that is overnight parking, so that we could leave our car for a few days? Thanks....

Tor

Images

Default Lake Buel Road

I have friends that left a car there for four nights last August when I was out on a NY-VT section hike. They got on at US 7 in Connecticut and hiked to their car near Great Barrington. Their car was there for four-five days I think. They had no problems @ all.
    Last edited by tribes; 06-09-2004 at 18:50. Reason: correcting grammar
    without love in the dream it will never come true...

Default Be Prepared

Nice spot...but if you're going to be there in the summer, bring maximum strength Deet or you will pray for death; over the past few years, this section of the Trail in July/August has been one of the most bug-ridden places on the Trail. Do NOT plan on sleeping in the shelter without netting.

Images

The parking on Lake Buell Rd. is an official AT parking area with kiosk. Cars should be fine there (barring random acts of vandalism) . The Tom Leonard shelter is in need of roof replacement this year due to a large branch puncture over the winter. It has been patched and will keep you dry in the meantime, but look for a work crew there sometime this summer.

Was just here 9 days ago, lots of skeeters, and now you must go down the long down hill climb for water, upper area dried up and not running. Nicely built, and several 'tent' sites out front on the ledge in front of shelter over the "hump".

We almost missed this shelter, it is not well marked! Blue blaze was our clue, otherwise, it is beautiful and quiet and still, nicely tucked down "below" in a nice grove of trees, but doesn't jump out at you! No signs of bears.

Some notes:
    Hiking with a NOBO couple, she went ahead and passed us, said she'd see us at this shelter, He passed us a half hour later and we passed the message along, he would also stay there for the night as well ( these are folks we stayed with the night before) She was there when we arrived an hour later, he never saw it missed it, she had to get down the Mtn before dark to try to find him.
    ALSO passed several SOBOS that said they never saw the shelter & asked about it, they were already passed it by four miles.

the camping "platform" is falling in and rotten
    For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37

Quote Originally Posted by eyahiker
    ALSO passed several SOBOS that said they never saw the shelter & asked about it, they were already passed it by four miles.

the camping "platform" is falling in and rotten
    Are you sure you were at the right place. You can see the shelter clearly from the trail as a SOBO, very hard to miss and I slept on the platform a few days ago. I may be heavy but I am sure I would have noticed if it had fallen in.

Positive. This guy was heading SOBO and said he never saw it, but you know - he WAS going the wrong way HE HEE HEE HEE.
    That might explain it

NOBO it was easier to see down below on the right, but it was almost dusk, and the sound of talking was muffled since the few folks there were sitting in the shelter, we almost walked by, but may have seen it as we went around the bend up ahead before the decent....beautiful, quiet place to sleep!

As for the "Platform" over by the privy, the dark brown 'deck' looking thing, was not level and not able to be camped upon, the upper right corner was sagging and rotten underneath, perhaps there was a big trail frolic to fix it since I was there, we set up next to the shelter.
    For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Buggy and mouse-ridden. Water quite steeply downhill a good 1/4 mile.

A thru-hiker's food bag got gnawed into by mice while I stayed there, even though he had hung it properly. The mice were so loud and numerous at night I had to put in earplugs. And the mosquitoes were out in force (this was mid-July). I used the shelter, but had to sleep in my raingear and a mosquito head-net.

It's a shame, really, since this shelter is in good shape otherwise. There are tent platforms also.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseboy
    Buggy and mouse-ridden. Water quite steeply downhill a good 1/4 mile.

A thru-hiker's food bag got gnawed into by mice while I stayed there, even though he had hung it properly. The mice were so loud and numerous at night I had to put in earplugs. And the mosquitoes were out in force (this was mid-July). I used the shelter, but had to sleep in my raingear and a mosquito head-net.
    OK, I've had enough of you. Go back to Astoria. How many shelters have you built? Ever heard of a Tent?

Images

Question Why the hostility?

What's the deal? I said the shelter was in good shape and said nothing negative about the trail maintainers. You were derogatory towards my other observations about Mass. shelters, too, which were mostly positive.

Lest you think I am some day-hiker who doesn't like "icky outdoors" stuff, this was the first night of my week-long MA section hike. It happened to be my worst night. I've completed DWG-Williamstown, MA now, and while I know my 270 miles doesn't hold a candle to those who have thru-hiked the entire 2,100+ miles, I think it counts for something. I'm not "going back to Astoria"; in fact, I'm currently planning my Vermont section.

I thought these forums were here to inform hikers about the condition of the shelters. Since nobody had posted to some of these threads for over a year, I saw nothing wrong with offering a recent update. I'm sorry if they were not helpful to you.
    Last edited by mooseboy; 07-29-2005 at 12:28.

Images

Mooseboy,

You should be proud of your section-hiking accomplishments! Thank you for posting trail & shelter conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseboy
    I've completed DWG-Williamstown, MA now, and while I know my 270 miles doesn't hold a candle to those who have thru-hiked the entire 2,100+ miles, I think it counts for something. I'm not "going back to Astoria"; in fact, I'm currently planning my Vermont section.
    2.7 or 270 miles or 270,000 miles, that has nothing to do with it. I can hardly wait until you get to the "Buggy and mouseridden" shelters in Vermont. Again, bring a tent. Oh, and sorry we can't have the water closer for you. We'll try to budget in an aqueduct next time.

Mooseboy: Welcome to WB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Again, bring a tent. Oh, and sorry we can't have the water closer for you. We'll try to budget in an aqueduct next time.
    Please, only Evian or Aquafina. My sensitive tastes can't handle that nasty "stream water".

Whatever, Blue Jay. I've had enough of your sarcasm. If you're a maintainer or volunteer for the Berkshire AMC Chapter, be assured that I have only the highest respect for the great work they do. Mass. was one of the best-maintained sections of trail I've seen. But don't get bent out of shape because I (and other hikers) didn't have our best experience at Tom Leonard. Read the thread-- I don't believe I'm the first one here to mention its couple negative aspects... which shouldn't be enough to deter long-distance hikers from staying there anyway. We're all just giving friendly warnings about what to expect.

I know that most shelters are mouse-ridden and buggy (in summer); I've stayed in them. By comparison to others, this one was more so. That's all. Sure I could've tented in the pouring rain; in fact, I did so the next night. That night at Tom Leonard, I weighed my options and traded dampness and a wet tent for bugs & mice. But if I had tented, my comments wouldn't reflect the sleeping conditions of the shelter, would they?--just the site itself.

I've gotten plenty of useful info from this site regarding the Trail. Now I'm just trying to give back a little. When I say something negative, you seem to imply that I'm whining about minor inconveniences; when I say something positive (as on other threads), you imply that it was unnecessary info.

Fortunately others here seem fairly positive (like most hikers I meet), so I'd like to end this little flame war if you don't mind.
    --There is always more uphill.

Stayed at this shelter during a MA section hike in Sept 2001.
    I'll second that it was very buggy when I had been there in August of that year. This time there weren't any bugs, but there was a porcupine chewing on the shelter all night long. We shooed him away, but he kept coming back... so we just assumed it as inevitable and went to sleep.

That summer had been very dry and the 1/4 mile hike down to a very shallow pool of water was not too much fun.

Stayed at Tom Lenaord Columbus day weekendin Oct of this year. The shelter its self is in good condition although very smoky as the fire ring out front is not quite far enough away and when the wind is rigt the smoke billows back in to the shelter.

We pitched our tent on the AMAYZING tent platform! GORGEOUS! get there early and stake it out!

Images

Stayed here this past weekend and wasprepared for a full house but when nobody else showed up my wife and I
    had the run of the place and acted like kids.

It was a perfect night and the morning sunrise from the tent platform was simply magic. Better than any 5 star hotel..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++