WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

There is a VIA station (Canadian gov't subsized version of Amtrak) in the town of Gaspe - not too far from the lighthouse at the end of the trail. Take the train to MonctonNB (or Quebec City - I imagine it would be easier to get where you need to go in the States)

There are plenty of maps detailing the IAT route available for sale on the website posted by vaporjourney - but I'm not sure if there is a "Companion"-style booklet available detailing the services available in each town on route. Part of the adventure is find out what's available when you get there - I think the website also suggests possible mail drops if you want some certainty

As far as needing French - it's not an absolute necessity. The provincial parks the trail goes through (Carleton, Jacque-Cartier, etc) have bilingual staff. Learning some simple phrases may help, followed by a polite "Je m'excuse, mais je ne parle pas Francais" goes a long way.

Still highly recommend going all the way to Gaspe – it’s like walking to the ends of the earth.

If I get to Katahdin in Mid - September, I might try doing it. Just remember after January 1st, 2007 you must have a US Passport to enter Canada and return. I can see myself at the Gaspe Peninsula the first week of November eating lobster and cod fish for a week. Then taking the train across Canada, for a return to Colorado via California.

What's another 700when you already did 2,175?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlest Hobo View Post
    Having spent a considerable time on the East coast, I would imagine that 17 miles (27 km) a day would be relatively easy for a fit NOBO.
    Until you figure in zero days. Most people back in the "real world" (at least here in the USA and Canada) get weekends off. Apply that logic to thru-hiking and you now need to multiply your on-trail average by 7/5.

If you walk 15 mpd but take 1 day a week off... your overall average is 12.9 mpd. Etc. FWIW, 14-15 mpd is kind of a historical long-term average for thrus, after all the zero days are figured in. (2175 miles/150 days.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    While I wasn't ready for my hiking experience to end, I was done hiking.
    I remember meeting up with L.A. and Capt. Noah at Baxter a few minutes after they'd come down off the mountain. As they were strangers (to me) at that point, I stupidly asked 'em if they were thru hikers. The rolled their eyes & chuckled and one of 'em said, "No, we're done hikin'."

I too have serioulsy thought about the IAT, im walking the AT in 2008, it is my first trip overseas so why not add canada into the mix, not likely that ill be back that way anytime soon, so do it while one can. If anyone esle gets serious about this option please message me, id love to know what information you have found out, or how you are going with your planning. Ive read a few peoples accounts on trail journals, and the official website has some interesting info. I definitely think it is doable. To give myself a chance to fit this extra distance in im going to leave end of feb beginning of march.

By the way working in Si units is so much easier, all one has to do is move the decimal point to do anytype of conversion, and the rest of the world users it.

long live kilometers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++