WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default To THRUHIKE or NOT? Need Advice?

Ok, here is the deal. I was already to begin a thru hike from Springer in March 05, job opportunity came up and met a new girl, postponed the hike. Started new job in April and lasted 6 weeks, quit job and moved in with girlfriend. At this point, thinking of doing flip flop from Harpers, postponed since I felt my heart was not in and I wanted to go S to N. So, got a new job in august 05 and have been there until now. New job pays a lot more than previous jobs but still not completely happy. Anyway, about two weeks ago I got the fever again. I am 31, college degree, 7 years finance experience. Should I just go and hike and get it out of my system? Will it ever leave unless I try? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.

The old saying "life is short" is so true. Just do it.

If you hike and love it, you'll never get it out of your system.

This isn't exactly an un-biased crowd you're asking here... we're all hikers. Most of us will tell you to just go hike it, myself included. You can always get another job. I say do it.

If you're asking this crowd, who obviously are going to lean towards telling you to do it, it clearly means that you really want to do it and are just looking for support and legitimization of your desire to go hiking. You already know what you want to do, you're looking for the OK to do it from someone. Just do it, you don't need our, or anyone's, OK (except perhaps the girlfriend, though if she's a good person she would understand, even if she doesn't like it).

So, you decide. It won't kill you to try, though it will make certain things harder in your life (job, $$$, girl), it will also make certain things better in your life (life, hopefully girl)... You decide if it's worth the effort, risk, trouble, money... we really can't know, except to say whether it was worth it for us, or not.

It was worth it for me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, given half a chance.

Welcome to the forum!
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Bad place to ask..

I sure agree with the above poster...this is not the place to ask that question.

if its any help, here is what mark Twain would tell you:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ....Mark Twain

Images

I wouldn't worry about the job, as those should be easy for you to pick up again. However, seriously consider whether or not going for the hike is more important than being with the woman. While things may work out for you on that end, they might not. You're going to have to be sure one way or the other before you leave.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Go Hike

Life is very short and the older you get, the shorter it is.
    A lot of folks who plan a thru have issues that have to be delt with, before they start. It becomes part of the experience of a thru. Getting everything in order before You depart.
    In my estimation, the less you tie yourself, to the real world, the more you will enjoy your hike.
    Doing a thru, at your age, will give you plenty of time to plan the rest of your life. One thing about a thru. It gives you plenty of time to think things out.
    My advise, along with everyone else, is to go. Happy trails along the way.
    Grampie-N->2001

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Life is very short and the older you get, the shorter it is.
    A lot of folks who plan a thru have issues that have to be delt with, before they start. It becomes part of the experience of a thru. Getting everything in order before You depart.
    In my estimation, the less you tie yourself, to the real world, the more you will enjoy your hike.
    Doing a thru, at your age, will give you plenty of time to plan the rest of your life. One thing about a thru. It gives you plenty of time to think things out.
    My advise, along with everyone else, is to go. Happy trails along the way.
    =================================

Couldn't have said it better ...

Hit the trail !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

The logistics are part of the process.. It was the hardest part for me..

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

Seems like a thru would be the ultimate test for your relationship--if you go on a thru and you stay together, then the relationship has proven its potential for longevity. If you go on a thru and the relationship doesn't last, it probably would not have lasted a lifetime anyway; at least this way you know!

Default Regrets

My ONLY regret about my thru-hike is that I did not do it earlier in life!

The experience, the friends I made, the things I learned about myself, etc., were all great rewards. But, I think I may have handled LIFE differently if I had hiked in my early years. I envy the 'kids' that do it in their 20's!

Then again, I also believe whatever is meant to be --will be. SO, all in all--it was just right!

I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Sunrise
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Ender,
    I think you hit the nail right on the head with your response. For some reason, I think i am looking for someone's approval. It sure would be alot easier if someone said "sure" go ahead and go. I am pretty confident i can get a job when i get back, the girl will stay with me while hiking, and I will at least have a place to stay when I get back (girlfriend, sister,parents). I guess I am too brainwashed by the corporate/real world looking at this as an excuse to not work etc... I know the decision is mine, just need some help making the final commitment and quitting work etc. Thanks for everyone's responses, they are very inspirational.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzled View Post
    I guess I am too brainwashed by the corporate/real world looking at this as an excuse to not work etc... I know the decision is mine, just need some help making the final commitment and quitting work etc. Thanks for everyone's responses, they are very inspirational.
    ======================================

Just so you know Puzzled ...the older you get the deeper those corporate claws tend to stick in your conscience. I walked away from a so-called "good paying" job at 53 and I had a lot of misgivings. Seemed irresponsible at the time but sure glad I listened to the voice that said ..."take a hike"

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

this is corny but true, FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!!!
    your heart is a big part of having a sucessfull hike. If this hike is what you need to do right now then do it!!!
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Default Don't Hike!

I say no, don't hike.

Not because I believe it, but someone has to say it.

You did indeed come to the wrong place, as you can see, except for my bogus "Don't hike" all here are (in effect) telling you TO hike.

If you want to keep the job: ask for a leave of absence.
    If you want to keep the girl: ask her to come along.
    If you want to keep the __________: GET OVER IT & GO HIKING.

If you can go hiking, go!

FWIW: I wish I had listened to my own advice when I was your age, or younger. You can never go back & hike at the age you are now if you don't go now. Im 52 now, I can NEVER do a thru hike at age 31 now. Sounds simlple I know, painfully obvious even, but it is something to think about nevertheless.

Yep, you asked the wrong people this question
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    if its any help, here is what mark Twain would tell you:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ....Mark Twain
    Very cool, I used this in a graduation speach last year!
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

good luck with being completely happy with any job! ideally, a job should help you gain happiness in your future. you know, so when you get old you don't have to work in a mcdonalds or conjure up some phony disability to make ends meet, like so many of my contemporaries. personally, i put in my years and now (in my mid 50s) i have the wherewithall to do whatever i please. that's happiness dude!

then again, it's only six months out of your life and you seem uncertain as to where your life is headed, so go for it! the girl can wait.

formerly amazonwoman

Do it! Who knows how long any of us have left?? If the girl loves you she'll be there when you get back and the job... well work to live, don't live to work!! DO IT while you still can!!

Easier to do it now without a mortgage and kids.

When we decided it was time to start a family I quit my job and got my thru out of way. I'm in the minority here - this subject has come up in the past - but I think the responsibility of raising kids is much more important than leaving them for 6 months to take a fantastic vacation.

Go! Go And Don't Stop!

Images

Default I'm disagreeing with everyone!

WhiteBlaze.net is not a bad place to ask your question. Many people here and most respondants have pondered this issue themselves.

I say if you continue to want to thru-hike the A.T., this is something that you may benefit from getting out of your system. It may be a good idea to see if you can do this and thus satisfy your curiosity now while you are still young and before you find yourself in a position that makes doing so more difficult. Many attempt a thru-hike, but far less succeed. Are you prepared to accept that possible outcome?

Hiking the A.T. doesn't lead to a hiking addiction. Repeat thru-hikes are a personal choice and not inevitible or necessarily desireable.

Alternatively, you could use your vacation time to section-hike the A.T. over many years and maybe have the best of both worlds. A thru-hike is just one way, the fastest, to become a 2000 Miler. It is not necessarily the best. Testing the water first rather than plunging in head-first might not be a bad idea.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-06-2006 at 19:03. Reason: Added a few lines.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++