WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Wilcox North

Images

Default Wilcox North

This is an older CCC-built shelter 0.3 miles east of the AT. It's mostly downhill from the AT to the shelter, but not too steep. The shelter spur path is actually an older route of the AT. The shelter is in a nice location, with alot of level ground for tenting and a stream flowing almost in front of the shelter. Unfortunately, the stream sometimes runs dry in late summer and fall. In May 2003 the water supply was very adequate. The shelter has some large gaps between the wall boards, so may not keep you dry in a blowing rain. The roof is in good shape though and the shelter well cared-for.

I stayed there in late spring of 2001. The stream aside the shelter had a bunch of frog tadpole nests in it. at first I thought someone tossed plastic garbage into the water but after up close inspection I was intrigued by the white tadpole cocoon-like things. Anybody know the exact life-cycle term for this stage of the frog reproduction. I call them nests, but they were quite hard. I poked a stick gingerly at them and the protoplasm is thick and hardy.
    Hike more and learn to reduce gasoline consumption

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Stopped by North Wilcox with intent to stay this weekend, but after being attacked by swarm of skeeters, I moved on to Shaker Campsite instead (which was just beautiful.) Shelter is in much better shape than its sister to the south -- though there is still trash around this one as well.

Water is still flowing strongly and is easily accesible.

-- Ivy

Images

As of June 20, water was still flowing great and bugs were not a big problem. Nice place to spend the night, except for the 4 weekenders who showed up at mignight and kept me awake for 2 hours. The barred owl is still in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    The shelter has some large gaps between the wall boards, so may not keep you dry in a blowing rain.
    Got a chance to test this last night--slept in Mt Wilcox N lean-to during a hard, driving rain w/ pleny of wind gusts. (Hardly any rain while I was hiking, tho' .) I was the only one there, so I placed myself in the middle of the lean-to. Some moisture came in thro' the big front opening, but not thro' those gaps. The shelter is very well-designed--the overhangs protect the three walled sided pretty well. I stayed dry, and so did the floor all around except in the very corners. The new roof didn't let in so much as a drop! This is an unpretentious, funky old shelter, a pleasure to spend a wet night in.

Spent my first night in an AT shelter in 45+ years at Mt. Wilcox North in early October '08. Yep, it's somewhat primitive but the water was flowing clear and strong and it was great hearing nothing but the sounds of the forest that night. I had the shelter all to myself. A warming fire in the fireplace in the morning and a cup of coffee started the day off right. Kudos to the folks who maintain the shelter, too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Did a bag night there last night 10/1. Skyline rolled in. Other then the rain night was quiet. Shelter in good shape given it's age.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I don't know the status of this now, but there was a sign warning of an aggressive bear spotted here on July 14, 2015 when I went through in September. I stayed at the shelter on the 10th, and there was no sign of the bear. The water source at the shelter was dry, so had to go back South down the AT about 0.4 miles to water...that's about 0.7 miles one way from the shelter. There's also a brand spanking new bear box here.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I don't know the status of this now, but there was a sign warning of an aggressive bear spotted here on July 14, 2015 when I went through in September. I stayed at the shelter on the 10th, and there was no sign of the bear. The water source at the shelter was dry, so had to go back South down the AT about 0.4 miles to water...that's about 0.7 miles one way from the shelter. There's also a brand spanking new bear box here.
    Yup, the bear box is for the bear. We had one making regular visits in July/August. Hopefully the absence of food has him looking elsewhere. The water dries up every summer (duly noted in most guide books). Sometimes if you are lucky, you can find a pool a bit downstream from the shelter.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++