WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

[quote=zelph;263670]It has a simmer ring

1st photo shows two burners fired up for 5 min to let them warm up

2nd photo shows simmer ring placed on top of burner to close of fuel(note!! i shut fuel off not oxygen like the trangia and others)

3rd photo shows stainless steel potstand and simmer ring next to it

/quote]

When I make pot stands that look like that the flames always end up shooting out the holes in the stand.

Images

where does that little dancing banana fit in Zelph?

Images

[quote=Pest;336481]
    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It has a simmer ring

When I make pot stands that look like that the flames always end up shooting out the holes in the stand.
    It's ok for the flames to come out holes and even go up the sides of the pot .

StarLyte----
    where does that little dancing banana fit in Zelph?
    I was wondering if you would see it. I'm in the process of enlarging it to use as a patern for something noticable incase I make it to Damascus. If you see a walking around it might just be me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte
    'where does that little dancing banana fit in Zelph? '
    [quote=zelph;336647]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pest View Post
    I was wondering if you would see it. I'm in the process of enlarging it to use as a patern for something noticable incase I make it to Damascus. If you see a walking around it might just be me.
    I'm surprised Jester didn't think of that.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Default fueling the "StarLyte"

Laura and others!!!!

I apologise for not posting this earlier. This is my prefered method of filling the "StarLyte"

For those of you that have the "StarLyte" try this:

1. Fill small container with fuel.

2. Put "StarLyte upside down onto top of small fuel container.

3. Turn both the "StarLyte" and the small fuel container over at the same time while applying slight pressure just enough to keep them together. (do a dry run first). The fuel will transfer easily into the "StarLyte"

These photos should explain I hope.

Photo one

Photo two A little blurry, can't chew gum and take pics at same time

Also, those of you that have been using the "StarLyte" and like its performance and those of you that don't like anything about it please post something in the "Gear Review" forum. Those that don't like it go easy on me .

------------------------------------------------------------------

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Default Thanks!

Laura and others!!!!

I apologise for not posting this earlier. This is my prefered method of filling the "StarLyte"

For those of you that have the "StarLyte" try this:

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Zelph. Your system would work a lot faster than my method of injecting 3 cc at a time (yeah, 10 times) into the base.

Okay, since you answered that so clearly, here's another one for you.... for a lid for my Heineken pot I tried using a piece of tinfoil folded over but after several meals it wants to disintegrate due to repeated exposure to the flames coming up from the StarLyte. Any suggestions for a good, lightweight lid?
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint View Post
    Thanks Zelph. Your system would work a lot faster than my method of injecting 3 cc at a time (yeah, 10 times) into the base.

Okay, since you answered that so clearly, here's another one for you.... for a lid for my Heineken pot I tried using a piece of tinfoil folded over but after several meals it wants to disintegrate due to repeated exposure to the flames coming up from the StarLyte. Any suggestions for a good, lightweight lid?
    I'm surprised the flames from a Starlyte come up the sides high enough to affect the lid.

Try one of these.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Okay, since you answered that so clearly, here's another one for you.... for a lid for my Heineken pot Any suggestions for a good, lightweight lid?
    The bottom portion of a cat food can should work. Here is what has been posted at an earlier date by SuzyQhoo :

09-01-2006, 18:42
    SuzyQhoo

Heinekin Pot Lid
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Stickbow!
    I may be a day late and a dollar short in responding...(I was searching for how to cut the bloomin' Heinekin can!)...anyhoo, in searching, I did read somewhere that the bottom of a cat food can makes a perfect Heinekin Pot lid. Here is where I found that: http://davidlewis.ca/stove/
    Hope it helps!
    Suz

The entire thread is interesting : http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...10&postcount=5

Also, the ashtrays that Skids linked to are great. I have made some using them. I will send you a couple if you would like to use that type of material.

Skids also brings up a good point, you should not have flames going up that high unless you're using some secret fuel that we hav'nt heard of

--------------------------------------------------------------------

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

The bottom portion of a cat food can should work. Here is what has been posted at an earlier date by SuzyQhoo :

Also, the ashtrays that Skids linked to are great. I have made some using them. I will send you a couple if you would like to use that type of material.

Skids also brings up a good point, you should not have flames going up that high unless you're using some secret fuel that we hav'nt heard of
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's hysterical... SuzyQhoo's my bud and she & ALHikerGal are my company from Atlanta airport up the approach and to Springer Mtn. I knew she was a certified alcohol stove junkie - should've asked her. In fact, I'd promised her 3 Heine cans for her crazy collection. Oops - better get those in the mail soon.

Zelph - thanks for the offer to send the Skids lids to me, but I'll see what I can do first. Thanks!

As to fuel, no secret. I'm just using jet fuel. Isn't that what everyone uses? No, really, I'm just using SLX denatured alcohol from the paint dept of my local WalMart. I have been putting an additional windscreen (folded tinfoil) losely around (like maybe 2" away) the stove, the StarLyte windscreen, and pot. I don't form a complete circle with it but it's just to try to keep the heat focused on my pot during windy conditions. Bad idea??
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Images

As to fuel, no secret. I'm just using jet fuel. Isn't that what everyone uses? No, really, I'm just using SLX denatured alcohol from the paint dept of my local WalMart. I have been putting an additional windscreen (folded tinfoil) losely around (like maybe 2" away) the stove, the StarLyte windscreen, and pot. I don't form a complete circle with it but it's just to try to keep the heat focused on my pot during windy conditions. Bad idea??
    When you say additional windscreen are you counting the stand/windscreen that comes with the starlyte as the primary windscreen?

If so, then not forming a complete circle with the 'additional windscreen' may indeed cause high flames on the pot side opposite the opening in your windscreen.

In fact, even if your setup looks like this, it might still be happening if your outer windscreen is open on one side. The air that feeds your stove is finding the path of least resistance. It seems to be an even worse problem in bench tests or in situations with little or no wind/drafts.

This is all JMO, of course, but it's easy to check it yourself. Best of luck.
    Skids

Images

Okay, since you answered that so clearly, here's another one for you.... for a lid for my Heineken pot I tried using a piece of tinfoil folded over but after several meals it wants to disintegrate due to repeated exposure to the flames coming up from the StarLyte
    Now that I think of it, flames will come up the sides of a Heinekin pot. My original test were made using a 5 1/5 inch pot. But thats ok if flames go up the sides, the Ring Of Fire burner puts flames only on the sides and look what the results are there.

Your bud should be able to help you out with the lid for it

Have fun.

Images

Default new pot stand for the StarLyte

Out with the old in with the new. A lot of people really like the 2 X 2 pot stand so I refined it and coupled it with the Starlyte burner.

The first refinement had all square corners that needed 12 spot welds to connect them. The second refinement has only 3 corners that are spot welded, the rest are rounded corners. The rounded corners gives it a more finished look. What do you think?

I'll do some test boils on Monday and get some flame pattern photos. I also found some heavy vinyl pouches in my garage that fit the stove nicely. It looks like I'll be able to offer some on ebay next week if all goes welll. Here are some photos:

This one shows square corners on the left and rounded on the right

heavy duty vinyl pouch with loop attached.

Skids, have you done any testing with the
    Starlyte burner I sent you?

Images

Zelph-

Very nice and ultra lightweight I see

You should attend a hiker event like one of the Rucks and give demonstrations...Rucksters love that

You too Skids !!!!

Rucksters are gearheads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    Zelph-

Very nice and ultra lightweight I see

You should attend a hiker event like one of the Rucks and give demonstrations...Rucksters love that

You too Skids !!!!

Rucksters are gearheads.
    I'm planning to attend several. Going to put some miles on the AT.

Looking forward to meeting the woman that inspired the "StarLyte"

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Looking forward to meeting the woman that inspired the "StarLyte"
    Aren't we all!
    Last edited by Kerosene; 08-06-2007 at 08:33.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

just back from a weekend with the starlyte stove witch was used for industrial magic. it cooked a large blue speckled coffie pot full of alot of water with only 3 fillups. were talkin a heavy pot. and no slippage.never did our unotched clip undo. nary was a problem had. and we burned the can clean sucsessfully. and it gets our highest fun rateing. its fun cause zelph and starlyte are real. msr aint real. ever meet someone named msr? no you havent. zelph is a meglamanical stove maniac on the run from the stove police i know, but i will still support his wonderful gifts in the stove marshal arts. may his coffie be hot and his hidding place good. may his stoves take over hikerdom and may all other stove makers go limp. end rant#342
    matthewski

Images

...Skids, have you done any testing with the
    Uh huh.

Nothing exhaustive, but I did some bench tests and got virtually the same times you posted.

I may take it on some winter hikes as I suspect that's where the Starlyte shines brightest.

Solid design, solid stove.
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    just back from a weekend with the starlyte stove witch was used for industrial magic. it cooked a large blue speckled coffie pot full of alot of water with only 3 fillups. were talkin a heavy pot. and no slippage.never did our unotched clip undo. nary was a problem had. and we burned the can clean sucsessfully. and it gets our highest fun rateing. its fun cause zelph and starlyte are real. msr aint real. ever meet someone named msr? no you havent. zelph is a meglamanical stove maniac on the run from the stove police i know, but i will still support his wonderful gifts in the stove marshal arts. may his coffie be hot and his hidding place good. may his stoves take over hikerdom and may all other stove makers go limp. end rant#342
    Whoa!!!!Thanks for the great feedback. Man!!!!!

zelph is a meglamanical stove maniac on the run from the stove police i know, but i will still support his wonderful gifts in the stove marshal arts.
    That's me for sure and thank you for the well wishes.

SkidsteerQuote:
    Originally Posted by zelph
    ...Skids, have you done any testing with the
    Uh huh.
    Nothing exhaustive, but I did some bench tests and got virtually the same times you posted.
    I may take it on some winter hikes as I suspect that's where the Starlyte shines brightest.

Solid design, solid stove.
    I'm positive it'll light easily in the coldest of temps. It holds 1 fluid ounce of fuel and will not spill out if tipped over.

I put some nichrome wire on the burner so you could see where the flame was. Red hot wire where the flame passes by the wire.

Images

Default fits inside an Altoids tin

I was curious, would it fit in an Altoids tin. Yes!!!! fits nicely.

wow selph!! stove geniuos..... need to save more pennies for the starlyte stove....
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++