WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Zelph, Why does the fibers being vertical improve the quality of the burn?
    Fuel will remain on the bottom of the stove after the flames go out if house insulation is used. The material that I use is very dense and the fibers are verticle which is the way we want them to aid the capillary transfer of fuel from the bottom of the stove to the top. The density of the material holds the fuel tight and releases it in a somewhat controlled manner.

House insulation fibers are usually horizontal when manufactured and probably 1/3 the density of the material I use.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok I can pull it apart. Turns out I have that crappy stove 1/2 inch gasket fiberglass rope lying around, won't take a minute. 1/2 inch chunks stuffed in vertically should do!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I've got a batch of StarLyte stoves listed in the "Gear For Sale" forum so I thought I'd list a few responses from some of the users/purchasers. These are the messages I still had left in my inbox.

Feel free to add additional comments. There are a couple of hundred StarLyte stove users out there, let us hear from you. I think "Kerosene" was the second ever to get one of the originals. "StarLyte" was the first

-----------------------------------------------------------------

fired up the starlyte this am!
    test no. 1
    3/4oz. alcohol
    12oz. water
    no lid or windscreen
    near to boil in 10 minutes
    hot 'enuf to FBC for sure
    test no. 2
    1/2oz. alcohol
    12oz. water
    lid and windscreen this time
    much closer to boil in just under 8 minutes
    very hot to where i couldn't keep finger in water for more than a second! most definitely hot 'enuf for FBC! good work!
    oh, i'm using a titanium trappers mug 16oz. as my pot. yup, minimalist/soloist xtreme!
    nice job on the ss starlyte zelph! i like it and it's a keeper!
    regards!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I never wrote you back. I love my Starlyte you sent me. It is the best stove I have experimented with so far. It is my stove of choice right now.
    The only problem I have found and this is not just with your stove. Is the stability when not on flat ground. I was wondering if you have any ideas about this as to what I could do? I was thinking of gluing a larger plat to the bottom of the stove or maybe gluing on some outriggers of some type.

Hey Zelph, optimator here.. I think I (my Son) killed my Starlyte . I let him use it a couple of weeks ago. He accidentally dumped whatever he was cooking into it. I believe it was mashed potatoes.... Anyways, I've ran about 6oz's of fuel thru it trying to burn it out. It wont boil and throws a blue flame now. I'm peeved. At him, not you! Can it be healed? Or do I just need to order a new one? Thank's Man, Pat

Originally Posted by zelph
    That's good news!!!
    I'm glad you like the Starlyte.
    I'll post this information so others might benefit from it. I'll not include your name. Is that ok with you?
    Dan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by optimator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zelph
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by optimator
    Hey Zelph, optimator here.. I think I (my Son) killed my Starlyte . I let him use it a couple of weeks ago. He accidentally dumped whatever he was cooking into it. I believe it was mashed potatoes.... Anyways, I've ran about 6oz's of fuel thru it trying to burn it out. It wont boil and throws a blue flame now. I'm pissed. At him, not you! Can it be healed? Or do I just need to order a new one? Thank's Man, Pat
    Try using water to wash it off, rinse it out to get it back to norm. Water wont hurt the mesh and absorbing material. Let it sit under a running tap in the kitchen sink for a while. Use warm water. Do you have the old style or new stainless steel mesh top.?
    Lots of water to disolve the mashed potatos.
    After wahing dry it out and fuel it up and give it a go.
    Thanks my friend, you healed it! Working like new again now. Damn, I love this little stove. I've still got to try another one of your models.....

No, I don't mind at all. I'll pimp this stove anyway I can. Thanks again, Pat
    No problem, just glad your still making it. A guy had one at the Hammock Forum Winter Hangout. He let me mess with it for awhile, and I decided to go ahead and put my canister away for awhile, and give the alcohol stoves a shot.
    Thanks a ton. He swore to me if I took 10 minutes with it I'd leave white gas forever and canisters 75% of the time. I'd have to say he was spot on.

Images

Just got one of these last week. Spent the night out on Saturday 55 degree night, with wind and rain. Even on cold wet ground the Starlyte boiled in 6minutes 42 seconds. Full 2 cups of water with a Titanium Evernew Pot. Burned out in about 11 minutes give or take some seconds. I'll be using one of these on my JMT trip next year. Zelph expect another order from me soon, I need a couple for my trip so I don't have to fight with TSA agents about used stoves again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Zelph

I have a question for you Zelph do you patent any of your stoves you sell? Or do you feel as if your work is not worth doing such a thing?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Just got one of these last week. Spent the night out on Saturday 55 degree night, with wind and rain. Even on cold wet ground the Starlyte boiled in 6minutes 42 seconds. Full 2 cups of water with a Titanium Evernew Pot. Burned out in about 11 minutes give or take some seconds. I'll be using one of these on my JMT trip next year. Zelph expect another order from me soon, I need a couple for my trip so I don't have to fight with TSA agents about used stoves again.
    "mtnkngxt;775119" Thank You for the great feedback.

"lndwlkr", yes I have applied for patents on three of my stoves. The "StarLyte", the "Fancee Feest"/"Ring of Fire", and the "Dual Flame" These designs were worthy of persuing patents. The "Dual Flame" patent rights are in the process of being sold to a sporting goods manufacturing company.

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    "lndwlkr", yes I have applied for patents on three of my stoves. The "StarLyte", the "Fancee Feest"/"Ring of Fire", and the "Dual Flame" These designs were worthy of persuing patents. The "Dual Flame" patent rights are in the process of being sold to a sporting goods manufacturing company.
    Way to go Zelph. Sell 'em off and pursue your next big idea. Sure beats begging for cans, making stoves and posting videos!
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hoz View Post
    Way to go Zelph. Sell 'em off and pursue your next big idea. Sure beats begging for cans, making stoves and posting videos!
    I hear ya!!! I wanna do some caving this year. I met a couple of cavers last year that live nearby and we are set to go to the "Blackball" mine as my first artificial cave We will be privy to a guided tour of the mine by the IDNR. The mine is home to 4 endangered species of bats. The mine was created for the content of limestone used for making cement that in turn was used for the construction of the Illinois Michigan Canal. We'll be backpacking into the area and setting up camp for a week at least.

The mine entrance is secured for non-entry of pedestrians. Only bats may enter The area is also designated as an IL Natural Preserve. Entrance by permission only. It should make for a nice "Nature Hike"

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Well my caving days were long ago. But at one time I was a pretty active spelunker. (Like totally engrossed for 2-3 years).

Take 3 sources of light, WEAR GOOD BOOTS and put your helmet on. Lots of rocks and hard knocks down there.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Images

zelph i dropped that wick down a little and it seemed to give me a little longer burn, and not quite as blazing. thanks
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

whoops meant to post that on fancie feast thread
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Journal Entries
    Images

I hear ya!!! I wanna do some caving this year. I met a couple of cavers last year that live nearby and we are set to go to the "Blackball" mine as my first artificial cave
    Zelph: I did research with NIU at BlackBall Mines. Absolutely amazing! Way back then, the entrance we used (with permission) was guarded by a farmer with a shotgun. Be safe, especially around the river (or to quote Garp's son: "watch out for the undertoads").
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Zelph: I did research with NIU at BlackBall Mines. Absolutely amazing! Way back then, the entrance we used (with permission) was guarded by a farmer with a shotgun. Be safe, especially around the river (or to quote Garp's son: "watch out for the undertoads").
    You are one fortunate happy hiker to have been able to do research there. It must have been privately owned at the time of your research. I did visit the area around the property last year via the railroad track that runs along side of it. There are some mine shafts right on the track side that are closed off 90 percent. I was able to sit at the remaining hole and get cooled by the exiting air coming from deep within the earth. I have some photos somewhere, will post if I can find them. I was able to get along side of the huge "Kiln" used to burn the limestone prior to crushing into cement.

I hear tell that there is a remnant population of "Timber Rattlers" located in the timber that surrounds the area. I'll be sure to keep both eyes open for those little critters. I did find some nice specimins of "Chert" along the tracks for possible flint knapping this year. One of the small creeks that feed the area is supposed to have large deposits of the chert in and around it. I'll check it out.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hear tell that there is a remnant population of "Timber Rattlers" located in the timber that surrounds the area. I'll be sure to keep both eyes open for those little critters. I did find some nice specimins of "Chert" along the tracks for possible flint knapping this year. One of the small creeks that feed the area is supposed to have large deposits of the chert in and around it. I'll check it out.
    Absolutely: we found a rattler skin there. I was a biology major and the herpetologist said that it was a well-kept secret that rattlers populate certain areas of Illinois.
    BTW: my wife and I saw a bald eagle Saturday night in Oshkosh, WI of all places! Get any down by you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Absolutely: we found a rattler skin there. I was a biology major and the herpetologist said that it was a well-kept secret that rattlers populate certain areas of Illinois.
    BTW: my wife and I saw a bald eagle Saturday night in Oshkosh, WI of all places! Get any down by you?
    Yes we have Bald Eagles close by all winter. There is open water year round near the Byron Nuc Power plant. That area is their fishing hole.

Images

Default StarLyte and Mathewski just for you

"StarLyte" has come a long way!!! she's super sweet

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hol_stove.html

Journal Entries
    Images

"StarLyte" has come a long way!!! she's super sweet

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hol_stove.html
    Beat you to it, Zelph: check out the "alcohol stoves" thread. Good going!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Congrats on your BPL listing, Zelph! Are the sales volumes to the point where you need to outsource the labor to China while trying to maintain a quality product?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Congrats on your BPL listing, Zelph! Are the sales volumes to the point where you need to outsource the labor to China while trying to maintain a quality product?
    No, not that busy I don't want to have to make that many, I need trail time. No outsourcing

You have one of the first"StarLyte" with the stainless steel band pot support. How is the fiberglass fabric holding out?

Default Zelph Starlyte Ultralyte Stove Rocks!

I just purchased one of these stoves from BPL. It's hands down the best alchy stove I've ever had! I've had top jet designs and was recently using my own 1/8 measuring cup with a wire cloth pot support.

The Starlyte is lighter with integrated pot stand. Easy to light with the pot on the stand, simple open top design & sips fuel. I really like the mesh wire / fiberglass design that keeps the fuel in the stove. Stove dia & pot support height is perfect for keeping the flame under my small 3.75" dia mug and brings my 1.5 cups of water to boil faster. Excellent stove!
    Thanks Zelph!

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++