WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    donating member; velo vermont!

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The use of fiberglass cloth is my trade mark

This is a DIY stove. The internal burn proof material is somewhat of a secret(Swedish Import). Others have used plumbers cloth introduced by Skidsteer. some have used house insulation and covered it with stainless steel mesh/fabric. Others have used ceramic wool for the internal fuel absorbing material. Fiberglass cloth can be purchased at your neighborhood hardware store. It is used for automobile body repair. It's the material that is used to cover the top of the burner.

Soon I'll be making available the burner only on my website. There are so many creative minds out there that a potstand can easily be fabricated from an enormous variety of materials. making your own makes the stove special to you.

Johnny Thunder is one of those creative creatures. Thanks for the tip Johnny. One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. I think I got it!!!!!!
    got it.
    was playing with plumbers cloth on another stove. will give it a try.

what does the burner look like under the fiberglass?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    got it.
    was playing with plumbers cloth on another stove. will give it a try.

what does the burner look like under the fiberglass?
    I will take a photo of it and post it here for everyone to see.

I like making stoves.

I will take a photo of it and post it here for everyone to see.

I like making stoves.
    i just started. i have about a dozen or so versions based on the 'penny' stove, playing with different jetting and ways to vary the pressure. the original design can't be beat for what it does and how it works - but i'm looking at adapting it for smaller pots - which has proven tricky. i've got a couple of cool mods that are close - but they don't resemble where i started anymore!

tried an ion last night (was up till 1am burning through a new batch of test stoves and 2 different wind screens) but couldn't get it to jet. disappointing - i used an old tin that i had around - much as i can figure it doesn't get hot enough to create any pressure, or the material wicks away the heat (but i did insulate if from my test surfaces). going to try a slightly different version out of aluminum cans tonight...

addicting. for sure.

like your site, btw. lots of good info there.

wife thinks i'm nuts. i've never been much of a beer drinker. till i started making stoves.

Images

i just started. i have about a dozen or so versions based on the 'penny' stove, playing with different jetting and ways to vary the pressure. the original design can't be beat for what it does and how it works - but i'm looking at adapting it for smaller pots - which has proven tricky. i've got a couple of cool mods that are close - but they don't resemble where i started anymore!

tried an ion last night (was up till 1am burning through a new batch of test stoves and 2 different wind screens) but couldn't get it to jet. disappointing - i used an old tin that i had around - much as i can figure it doesn't get hot enough to create any pressure, or the material wicks away the heat (but i did insulate if from my test surfaces). going to try a slightly different version out of aluminum cans tonight...

addicting. for sure.
    It sounds as if you made your Ion from metal? Try the aluminum for sure.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    It sounds as if you made your Ion from metal? Try the aluminum for sure.
    yeah, its a tin or something that some brooks proofide came in. (leather cycling saddle conditioner / protectant). thick(ish) metal of some sort.

when i dribble fuel all over the stove and a reflector / splash guard it jets right from the go, then settles down and looks like a sterno burner.

so, i've got a bunch of heiny cans laying around from my penny stove desecrations - will try that later.

well, managed to get 2 cups to boil on about 3/4 oz of fuel with a heiny version of the ion.

its inconsistent though. works well on my snowpeak 1400, but not with the 700. need to tune the windscreen or something, maybe height to pot. seems i have trouble with the narrow pots anyways... might just abandon trying to work with it.

but, i did manage to get 35oz of cold cold tatpwater to small bubble boil with 1oz of fuel with my modded penny stove.

zelph - post pics of that burner - i'm anxious to try a starlyte!

Images

addicting. for sure.
    The ion never will jet through the little holes. The vapors follow the path of least resistance, the big hole.

Bmike, you're going so fast with these stove creations it's making my head spin.(que for skids) You'll be passing me up in a day or two

You all have been waiting for this moment. The time has com. Zelph shows all!!!!

Take a peek at what's under the fiberglass cloth

What? What do you mean you can't see under there? Look again

You gotta be kidding me!!! It's under there somewhere. Look one more time

zelph is a stovehiking god. anyone cooking a turkey on a starlyte? its five fills per pound. the stove holds a 10 lb bird well but more is pushing the limits of ,....well pushing.
    matthewski

The ion never will jet through the little holes. The vapors follow the path of least resistance, the big hole.

Bmike, you're going so fast with these stove creations it's making my head spin.(que for skids) You'll be passing me up in a day or two

You all have been waiting for this moment. The time has com. Zelph shows all!!!!

The inside of my Starlyte is filled with Starshine, Unicorns, and Lolipops. This Zelph creation is a fake.

upi reuters: dateline mozambeek

zelph corp anounced planns to build an alcohol car engine based on the starlyte stove of fame and fourtune. its reported weight is under 100 lbs for the engine and can develope 200 hp. as news of the fuel injected zelphv8 spread, stocks in zcorp jumped to an unpresidented high 7 dollars above the opening of 100 .
    matthewski

in related news, zelpoh is a stovemakeing god.

that is all.
    matthewski

Images

Don't make me post a movie.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Don't make me post a movie.
    it will jet through the little holes - not like a pressurized stove - but like a chimney style. i've seen it... when running really hot.

so, the ion is really like the ion drive.
    patience, young stovemaker!

got 18 oz of cold cold tapwater to boil... in my snow peak 700 ti, with about 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of fuel.

trick is letting it do its thing. it needs to build up, for sure. slow and steady.
    and have a tight fitting wind screen (even though there is no wind in my garage) to reflect the heat back.

i like it, and will have to test it more.

for sure. 24 heinys and a quad of guiness later... all i have is more questions and more ideas!

my stove of choice thus far is a variable pressure stove (similar to a penny design, but without the penny and slightly different jets) that has rolling boiled 35 oz of cold tap water on just under 1.5 oz of fuel. (have to make sure that is repeatable!)

i can get it to do 16 oz of water on about 1/2 oz. in about half the time of the ion.

i'll have to do some benchmarking... and post some pics.
    and make sure that these numbers are real. maybe switch to metric...

having fun. lit my whisperlight 2 weeks ago in anticipation of a short overnighter and don't want to use it again... (unless i'm doing some sort of ice-field camping with a large group)

damn. i thought there was some sort of inverted flux capacitor in there or something.

swedish technology! born from jets?

nice. i'll have to try plumbers cloth. i have plenty of fiberglass around.
    a large(ish) grommet, with 3/8" aluminum tube sticking halfway into the tin would ease filling... (but might disrupt the flame pattern)

does the shell material matter here? is heat required to vaporize fuel... should i stick with aluminum on this or doesn't it matter?

what is an optimal pot height above the burner?

Images

Umm, bmike?

Since you can't get enough of stovetalk, consider yourself invited to bplite.

Skids

Umm, bmike?

Since you can't get enough of stovetalk, consider yourself invited to bplite.

been there and poked around. nice site.
    i'll dig in some more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    The inside of my Starlyte is filled with Starshine, Unicorns, and Lolipops. This Zelph creation is a fake.
    Hahaha!!! Mine is "layered".

Second layer has Sugar n' Spice and everything nice

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++