WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Hey guys, I'm new to the site as you can tell, but do you have a store somewhere I didn't see where these stoves are being sold? I've seen a guys page that is selling some of the soda can stoves, but these look like they might be a little better for me. Especially the idea of putting the stove, pan rack into a altoids tin!! Thats awesome!

Also, maybe its been asked and I skimmed over it, but whats the main advantage over the soda can stoves?

Many thanx!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper318 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the site as you can tell, but do you have a store somewhere I didn't see where these stoves are being sold? I've seen a guys page that is selling some of the soda can stoves, but these look like they might be a little better for me. Especially the idea of putting the stove, pan rack into a altoids tin!! Thats awesome!

Also, maybe its been asked and I skimmed over it, but whats the main advantage over the soda can stoves?

Many thanx!!
    Welcome to Whiteblaze Whisper318. I don't have any of these available yet. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have made a few to make available here on Whiteblaze. I'll keep you informed.

There are three advantages to the StarLyte burner/stove.

1. The fuel is absorbed by the material it's made of. If the burner would be accidently tipped over, the fuel would not spill out. A safety advantage.

2. The burner easily lights in cold weather. No primer pan needed. Fuel saving advantage.

3. The stove fits in Altoid tins, rectangular and round. Soda can stoves don't Storage advantage.

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I don't have any of these available yet. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have made a few to make available here on Whiteblaze. I'll keep you informed.
    I'm going to be first in line, you are turning me into a stove whore Zelph. I frequently build radio equipment in Altoids tins so these latest shots from you are great.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Zelph, thanx for the welcome and the information on the stoves. Def Pm me or post when they are available. I want to use them around the house a few times so I can get a good feel for them before I take it out on the trail.

Thanx again!

Images

Default Simmer disc for burner

I've been able to create a simmer disc for the Starlyte burner.

It weighs 2.5 grams. (thru hikers are not pleased with that)

It reduces the surface area by 1/3 I'm guessing. Testing will continue during next weeks campout. Initial tests look great.

Here are some photos:

ready for simmering, easily attached and removed. It has three tabs that hold it securely to the burner.

shows how it attaches to top of burner, hangs onto the recessed area.

shows how it attaches to bottom of burner when not being used.

the one on the left has been test burned half dozen times. One on right is new.

Stoves will be available next week with simmer discs. Send me PM if interested.

By the way, this is a true simmer method. It shuts off fuel not oxygen. Oxygen is right there at the surface where the fuel comes out.
    Last edited by zelph; 08-10-2007 at 16:33. Reason: added text

very very nice zelph!!!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

O K ever thing looks great but 1 oz. burn. 1 oz. simmer time time burn burn time time oz. oz. etc. how much much min. max. water time time cup cups time time

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    very very nice zelph!!!
    Thanks Peanuts, I'll see you when I return

oops56 O K ever thing looks great but 1 oz. burn. 1 oz. simmer time time burn burn time time oz. oz. etc. how much much min. max. water time time cup cups time time
    I'll do the testing as soon as I can!!!! You like this simmer disc so much it makes you stutter

Section by Section
    Images

I got my Starlyte + 4x4 potstand yesterday. An initial boil looked promising last night! I will test it side by side with my Pepsi-G tonight.

Thanks Zelph!
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    I got my Starlyte + 4x4 potstand yesterday. An initial boil looked promising last night! I will test it side by side with my Pepsi-G tonight.

Thanks Zelph!
    Sam, push it hard, it's built tough!!!!!

Tested the simmer disc. Not what I was expecting, drats!!!!!!

Made a different kind. Works.

17ml fuel, 2cups water, 7 min. boil. take pot off, let cool 1 min. add 15ml fuel, put disc on, pot back on, light, simmered at 200 degrees for 10 1/2min. (no lid on pot).

Images

Had an idea to use the top off of an ion burner as a simmer disc.

Using the StarLyte with 17ml of fuel brought 2 cups water to a boil in 6 min and boiled for additional 1.5 min.

Refueled with 15ml/ (1/2oz) of fuel (refueling took 3 min total)

Placed simmer disc on Starlyte burner and resumed test.

Simmering started at 180 degrees. Lid off, temperature rose to 190 degrees and maintained it there. Total simmer time was 18 min on 1/2 ounce of fuel.

Total cooking/simmering time: 27 min. Fuel used: Tad over 1 ounce, 62ml

Notice wide footprint of stand under 5 1/2 inch pot. Very stable

Top of ion burner used as simmer disc.

I like the looks of this simmer disc better than the previous two. I'll go with this one. I should have some stoves and simmer discs available by the end of the week.

Images

Default stoves are ready

I have a dozen stoves ready, but won't be able to ship until Monday of next week. Anyone interested send me private message. Cost is $15.00 + $3.00 shipping. Paypal or Money order. Simmer Disc will be sold seperate, being that most do not use that feature. Simmer Disc available for $3.50.
    I'm still camping and testing stoves.

Check out this mega StarLyte made from an altoids tin. I put 2 oz. of fuel in it to try it. Flame rises 12 inches high. Will do some test next week and post specifics.

looks like a muffin!!!!!!

Images

Default The Dynamic Threesome

The Dynamic Threesome, Matthewski, Stonewall and JohnnyThunder, came up with a sugggestion. a gromet in the center of the cloth to aid in spill proofing the filling process.

I thought their idea had merit. I tried it today in between toits and first impression says it may work out very nicely.

I'd like all that have used their StarLytes to post some feedback here so I can make any improvements before I go back into offering them on ebay.

The fuel capacity is 1 ounce. Pour it in and it won't spill out. Those of you that drink your everclear and use it for fuel take note. Be safe, use a StarLyte Stove

Here is what a movie looks like of the gromet modified StarLyte:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yQvKFl4M3I

To the Dynamic Threesome, thank you for the great idea!!!!

Dan, hard to believe you ould improve something so small and simple but by golly, I think you just did! And it all fit in an Altoids tin. Absolutely Beautiful !!! You are the Guru od all Stovies! Great work! By they way. good job on your new web site.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner50 View Post
    Dan, hard to believe you ould improve something so small and simple but by golly, I think you just did! And it all fit in an Altoids tin. Absolutely Beautiful !!! You are the Guru od all Stovies! Great work! By they way. good job on your new web site.
    Thank You Ridgerunner50. I like making stoves and doing the web site

It's feedback that makes it possible to improve stoves and ourselves.

Kind words and smiles go a long way

I'm searching for some aluminum grommets to use on the burner instead of the brass. After all, this is the lightest, most compact and most safe stove in the world

Zelph,

When we made the grommet suggestion it came before realizing that you could take the filled plastic shot glass, cap it with the StarLyte, and invert it for spill-less filling. That only works the first time b/c you'd have to wait for the stove to cool...so yeah, that grommet'd come in handy on the second (and possibly) third fuelings. Otherwise, i like the whole works. It's cool to be able to find three rocks and make some magic happen...and the stand/screen works well too. What's the status on a simmer-something-or-other?

Johnny

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Zelph,

When we made the grommet suggestion it came before realizing that you could take the filled plastic shot glass, cap it with the StarLyte, and invert it for spill-less filling. That only works the first time b/c you'd have to wait for the stove to cool...so yeah, that grommet'd come in handy on the second (and possibly) third fuelings. Otherwise, i like the whole works. It's cool to be able to find three rocks and make some magic happen...and the stand/screen works well too. What's the status on a simmer-something-or-other?

Johnny
    The inversion filling works great. glad I was able to send along the polyflex fiill cap. I'll include one of them with every stove. The grommet will be of value to those that like using the cap off of their fuel bottle for their means of putting fuel into the burner. It was a really good idea.

To make your pot simmer, you need only to take the lid off. If it still wants to boil, take away the windscreen.

The opening of a 16 (or maybe it's 20) oz Gatorade/Vitamin Water bottle is about 1cm shy of the diameter of the Starlyte's grill/wick material. I been using the "inversion filling" technique with the bottle.

Step 1. Put the stove upside down on top of the bottle.
    Step 2. Flip for 3-one-thousand's
    Step 3. Have her open the box

donating member; velo vermont!

do you have a source for the mystery material?
    i've been playing with modified penny stoves for better part of a month, totally new to alky stoves though - and really like this design.

is this a diy or a zelph trademark / patent / etc?

nice work, and have been inspired by your site!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    do you have a source for the mystery material?
    i've been playing with modified penny stoves for better part of a month, totally new to alky stoves though - and really like this design.

is this a diy or a zelph trademark / patent / etc?

nice work, and have been inspired by your site!
    The use of fiberglass cloth is my trade mark

This is a DIY stove. The internal burn proof material is somewhat of a secret(Swedish Import). Others have used plumbers cloth introduced by Skidsteer. some have used house insulation and covered it with stainless steel mesh/fabric. Others have used ceramic wool for the internal fuel absorbing material. Fiberglass cloth can be purchased at your neighborhood hardware store. It is used for automobile body repair. It's the material that is used to cover the top of the burner.

Soon I'll be making available the burner only on my website. There are so many creative minds out there that a potstand can easily be fabricated from an enormous variety of materials. making your own makes the stove special to you.

Johnny Thunder is one of those creative creatures. Thanks for the tip Johnny. One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. I think I got it!!!!!!

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++