WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Okay Zelph, where are instructions on how to make that cool stove that looks like it has window screen on the top? I don't have time to scroll though all of your stove posts. I'm talking about the one on the right in this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte024.jpg

Images

well zelph you are deffinately on to something here, the stove i was just working on was the one very similar to that one on the far left of that picture with the soda can folded over
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte024.jpg
    i agree with dust tho i would love to see and know the details to building this

Images

Sgt Rock---------
    The "Ion" never got larger than what you see in the photos. All of you that have used the "Ion", are these photos similar to what you see when the "Ion" is lit and has burned for a while or am I doing something wrong?
    Take a look at the flames comming out of the Ion. Is that the norm? I'll be taking three Ions out for field testing this comming weekend. Need to know if what you see is what is to be expected as a startup flame before I put the pot on. Thank You

Skidsteer------
    That being said, an Ion requires a pot on top to give back some heat and get the stove really stoked. A good windscreen helps too.
    I'll be using the windscreen described on Rocks site. How long can I expect time wise for the stove to get fully stoked? Do you use the Ion as your primary stove or just bench tests? Thank You

doodah man------If you don't come up with wick style stove for your hike, use the "SuperCat" It has some drawbacks but it's my recomendation.

Tinker---------I like the "SuperCat" I've used it!!!!! It's one heck of a cookin machine.

dust never sleeps------and sum41punk91---------Sorry I hav'nt gotten back here sooner, very busy, not enough time in a day. Instructions: Open 1 wedding favor tin, fill to top with Swedish/Origo wick material, cover with fiberglass cloth that I sent to you and offered free to everyone(no longer avail) Available at hardware stores, ask for Bondo brand, put lid on, pour in denatued alcohol, light with fire. When I finish making a quantity of "StarLyte" stoves I'll give away what ever is left of the Swedish wick.

Going out on an archeological dig this weekend will test some stoves, have some fun. I'm an amature archeologist, addicted stove builder, endangered plant propagationist in my spare time

P.S. "dust never sleeps" welcome to the world of stove building, slow down, look through some of my stove threads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Sgt Rock---------
    Take a look at the flames comming out of the Ion. Is that the norm? I'll be taking three Ions out for field testing this comming weekend. Need to know if what you see is what is to be expected as a startup flame before I put the pot on. Thank You
    Sgt. Rock may have different/better advice but I just put the pot on top as soon as the stove is lit and forget about it.

Skidsteer------
    I'll be using the windscreen described on Rocks site. How long can I expect time wise for the stove to get fully stoked?
    I don't use an exact copy of Rock's windscreen so I can only answer for myself. In bench tests my Ions generally get going good between one and three minutes. I assume it's close to that when hiking but I don't peek under the windscreen to confirm it. It's rude and it angers the stove gremlins.

Do you use the Ion as your primary stove or just bench tests? Thank You
    Uhhhhh yes?

I build stoves for fun and because I have an inventor's heart, so it's tough for me to carry one stove hike after hike because I want to see how my latest idea works in a real trail trial.

But to answer your question honestly, I've carried an Ion on the trail at least a dozen times and it has never let me down. There are just a few stove designs that I consider in a class all their own and the Ion is in that class.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Instructions: Open 1 wedding favor tin, fill to top with Swedish/Origo wick material, cover with fiberglass cloth that I sent to you and offered free to everyone(no longer avail) Available at hardware stores, ask for Bondo brand, put lid on, pour in denatued alcohol, light with fire.
    OK, a couple of questions. Is "Swedish/Origo wick material" similar to steel wool? I googled the term and came up with this from a boating site:

"The key to the simplicity of all the Origo stove models is the non-flammable wool wick which, when ignited, gradually draws alcohol to the surface."This sounds similar to the steel wool I used in a pepsi can stove, where I stuffed the steel wool between the interior wall and the outer wall. The result was that the steel wool drew the alcohol up to the burner holes and I had a strong fire going much sooner.

Also, what type of bonding stuff do you use to glue the fiberglass cloth to the top of the tin?

Finally, would a pepsi can stove using steel wool and fiberglass cloth, while eliminating the inner wall, be essentially the same thing as the Starlyte stove? I really don't want to go hunting for "wedding favor tins."

Images

I put the pot on the stove after it starts and leave it alone for a while. After about 5 minutes I usually check the food to make sure it isn't sticking to the bottom.

Honestly I have problem seeing the pictures so I'll have to let you go with what other expeienced ION users say. But if you are using the stove without a pot most likely the flame will look funny.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Not surprisingly, after I submitted my questions the answers seemed to come to mind.

1. You don't need any bonding agent to hold the fiberglass cloth in place, as the pressure from the steel wool (or Origo wick material) inside the stove will hold it in place.

2. Yes, you can make a modified pepsi can stove by eliminating the inner wall and stuffing the whole interior with steel wool, and covering the opening with fiberglass cloth (from the inside).

Tell me if I'm right on this, as I'm a stove amateur and haven't taken the time to read through all of Zelph's posts on stove making.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dust never sleeps View Post
    ...2. Yes, you can make a modified pepsi can stove by eliminating the inner wall and stuffing the whole interior with steel wool, and covering the opening with fiberglass cloth (from the inside)......
    Perfectly doable but i recomend doing it with a red bull/ v8 juice can instead there smaller and more similar to the wedding tins

Default modification

Answering my own questions again, I took a retired pepsi can stove that had not been a particularly good performer, and made it into a modified Starlyte/Pepsi stove.

I removed the interior wall of the pepsi can stove, then wrapped fiberglass cloth around a ball of medium grade steel wool and stuffed it into the stove, and replaced the top. No pasting or JB Weld required.

Then, I conducted a couple of burn tests. For the first test I poured in a full ounce of denatured alcohol. It got off to a slow start, but in the third minute the flame became a very wide, robust fire. I thought of the word "manical" when watching it. It burned for nine minutes. This would probably be overkill for cooking except in the winter, when you'd want a robust flame.

For the second test I used a half ounce of alcohol. Similar to the first test, the flame was slow getting going. Then in the second minute, it found its legs and became a strong and wide flame, but not as robust as with a full ounce. It burned for six minutes. This should be sufficient for cooking in above freezing temps.

So there you have it, a variation on two very good stoves.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Zelph, the reason that the Supercat burned out as fast as it did is because it is designed to work with a pot resting on top, eliminating the weight of both a pot support and a windscreen which needs to be at least an inch higher (making it necessary to pack your windscreen outside your pot or cookset). It looks as though you have a winner, though, for folks who like an open top stove.
    i suspect it would depend on the dimension of the cooking pot. I use a kettle, MSR Titan .85L and cut the windscreen to 3 1/4" high, nestles inside quite well. I het molded it in a tighter circle, only wrap it 2/3 around the pot, to the windward side

Images

Here are some results of earlier tests done on material said to be used for wicks.

So there you have it, a variation on two very good stoves.Yesterday 19:39
    A job well done "Dust Never Sleeps" The Swedish/origo wick does'nt look like steel wool. It is very dense(like felt) in texture not porous like steel wool or house insulation. I purchased an origo stove so I could take it apart to see what the wick was made of(typical Stovie action) they are not cheap!!!!!!!!

Finally, would a pepsi can stove using steel wool and fiberglass cloth, while eliminating the inner wall, be essentially the same thing as the Starlyte stove? I really don't want to go hunting for "wedding favor tins."
    Yes, as you have already found out. Have fun making more stoves. Slow down!!!!

Images

Default revised hole pattern

I revised the hole patern in the potstand. The photo shows it on the right hand side. Had to do a quick photo session, feel like "dust never sleeps"

The other stuff is work in process, disregard the mess

StarLyte, your stove will be in the mail tomorrow

Images

I revised the hole patern in the potstand. The photo shows it on the right hand side. Had to do a quick photo session, feel like "dust never sleeps"

The other stuff is work in process, disregard the mess

StarLyte, your stove will be in the mail tomorrow
    You know Zelph..... I'll have to take this stove to the Rucks with me now. I'll carry it around like I do Earl's pith helmet.

Thank you Zelph. I can't wait to see it! Where's that little banana.........

Images

:banana How zelph really affords his stove supplies

...The photo shows it on the right hand side. Had to do a quick photo session,...
    Zelph this looks like you are running a meth lab outta your garage
    druggie scales, stoves you got it all

anyhow great design does this mean you are gonna change your mind on the stove you thru or long distance with?

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Outside/Inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    ... and a windscreen which needs to be at least an inch higher (making it necessary to pack your windscreen outside your pot or cookset). It looks as though you have a winner, though, for folks who like an open top stove.
    Please describe your insistance that a windscreen be of such height that it must be stored outside one's pot. I fail to see exactly you feel it is so important. It is not that it is not-just that I fail to understand your reasoning precisely.

If a cat food can is just 1 7/16" high & flames exit the stove somewhere below that height then it would appear that a screen even 1/16" higher than the stove, just 1.5" for example tgotal screen height, would become effective at blocking wind and anything over that minimum height just slightly better. What am I missing here?

I use a shield 2.5" high, which was the height of a scrap piece of aluminum I had and it blocks all wind to the stove. It could go to 3.25" high to store in a MSR .85L kettle. Why should it be higher?

We're gonna need a bigger boat... Emsadida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    Please describe your insistance that a windscreen be of such height that it must be stored outside one's pot. I fail to see exactly you feel it is so important. It is not that it is not-just that I fail to understand your reasoning precisely.
    The wind screen besides blocking a breeze is also focusing the heat from the stove up the sides of the pot. By having a screen that goes up the over the bottom of the pot, less heat is lost and you make your stove more efficient which means you can stretch your fuel further which means you can carry less fuel.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default ??

If you put the windscreen directly up against the pot, it keeps flames below it and so does not lick up the sides.

If you use 8 each 3/16" upper holes & 8 each 3/16" staggered lower holes, those few drags out the cooking process some with a less intense flame but keeps flames below the pot, & conserves fuel.

The shield should be higher than the bottom of the pot, though, so as to block incoming wind windward, but I am still not convinced it must rise up any higher than slightly above that. Am I missing something?

Images

Default nothing wrong with flames lickin up the sides

It's ok if the flames go up the sides!!!!!!!!

Not long ago, this thread was started showing how flames up the side of a pot(no flames on its bottom) could boil the water inside. A combination windscreen and heat retainer was used and showed a decrease in boil time, call it more efficient.

What you see in that thread is real, no trick photography, no BS, no forked tounge. No kidding

Read the entire thread, lets not perpetuate the urban legend of "flames lickin up the sides of the pot are bogus"

"Dust Never Sleeps"------Take some time out and show us some photos of your creations, I don't want to have to make what you have to see if they perform like the "StarLyte" I don't have much time nowadays.

sum41punk91------
    anyhow great design does this mean you are gonna change your mind on the stove you thru or long distance with?
    No, havn't changed my mind, the "workhorse" is still in progress. The stainless steel potstand, the wedding tin, and the large 2" wick combined should be a much better combination. Less work involved in making it etc. etc. etc.

StarLyte-----
    You know Zelph..... I'll have to take this stove to the Rucks with me now. I'll carry it around like I do Earl's pith helmet.
    That will be great!!!!!! I'm honored and speechless makes me want to do the banana twist

Sgt Rock-----
    I'll have to let you go with what other expeienced ION users say.
    The only one that responded to my question was Skidds. Thanks Skidds. I need more input from othe users. sum41punk91, did'nt you recently purchase an Ion?

Images

Zelph
    sum41punk91, did'nt you recently purchase an Ion?
    nope never purchased an ion, been attemting to make a decent one but it hasnt worked

Images

Doing final testing for durability and repeatability.

Will make them available in 1 week or so.

Hey!!!!!! "dust never sleeps" where are your photos?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++