WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I just purchased one of these stoves from BPL. It's hands down the best alchy stove I've ever had! !
    I tried several and have quit trying them since I got a Starlyte. I don't have to buy fuel nearly as often, that's for sure!

Been using mine under a caldera cone, which is only 1/4 oz heavier than the windscreen that comes with the Starlyte.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coldspring View Post
    Been using mine under a caldera cone, which is only 1/4 oz heavier than the windscreen that comes with the Starlyte.
    Which Caldera Cone are you using it under?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Which Caldera Cone are you using it under?
    It's just the standard aluminum Trail Designs one for a Snow Peak 700. Although I shortened it one inch to match the height of the Starlyte.

There are probably some scientific reasons why this is inappropriate, but I am not scared of it blowing up. Should I be?

It might not even be as efficient a setup as possible, and it doesn't seem to be terribly fast...I don't know, but I like the Starlyte. No priming, no spillage...

Images

Default Inspired By coldspring

Inspired by coldspring

I've been doing some tests with a modified StarLyte stove under a Kmart grease pot and protected by a special windscreen made to fit in close proximity of the pot. The windscreen is separate from the pot, not giving any support. The stove has been modified to burn slow like the Volcano stove and the Ion stove. The Volcano is a stove built by Tony from Australia and the Ion, Sgt Rock from Whiteblaze. Test have been conducted in the last two weeks under 50 degree temperatures in my garage. This set-up has been coming up with 2 cup boils with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. This video was made to day with temperature at 45 degrees and a simulated breeze.

I'll be back later with more info.

Images

This set-up has been consistant at getting 2 cups to boil with 1/2 ounce of denatured in 50 degree temperatures.

It packs up small, fits inside the pot, the stove is in there also

Tomorrow more video, cooking ramen for lunch, 1/2 oz. fuel

Another good point about this set-up is .......no priming the stove in cold weather.
    Oh, almost forgot, the fuel won't spill out of the stove, 1 oz. gets completely absorbed. B:

Stove, windscreen and pot all together weighs only 5 oz.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    This set-up has been consistant at getting 2 cups to boil with 1/2 ounce of denatured in 50 degree temperatures.

It packs up small, fits inside the pot, the stove is in there also

Tomorrow more video, cooking ramen for lunch, 1/2 oz. fuel

Another good point about this set-up is .......no priming the stove in cold weather.
    Oh, almost forgot, the fuel won't spill out of the stove, 1 oz. gets completely absorbed. B:

Stove, windscreen and pot all together weighs only 5 oz.

I made the ramen for lunch today using the kit. Works Great!!!!!!!1/2 ounce fuel.

I always find that a slower stove can cook more efficiently than the fast one, but only if the windscreen is tight.
    Zelph, is this what you find with the modified Starlyte?
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    I always find that a slower stove can cook more efficiently than the fast one, but only if the windscreen is tight.
    Zelph, is this what you find with the modified Starlyte?
    Yes, I'm finding that to be true. When I do some boil tests in the kitchen(when my wife is not home) under ideal conditions, 70 degree water and air temperatures, I'm going to get a boil with less than 1/2oz / 15ml of fuel. I can feel it in my bones.

Images

Recent talk about the "StarLyte" stove prompted me to bump this thread up for review. You can see how it evolved over time. Recently Russb said he has an original.

Zelph, Will the Starlyte work with a pot as small as the Snow Peak 600 (3.9" diameter)?

Works great with small diameter pots as the flame is centered, not on the periphery of the stove. May want to use a different stand instead of the integrated one for stability if you use a taller, thinner pot. Even with a wide pot, I prefer a different pot stand. Though zelphs integrated one is ingenious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1 View Post
    Zelph, Will the Starlyte work with a pot as small as the Snow Peak 600 (3.9" diameter)?
    Yes, it will work. Even if some flames go up the side of the cup it will still work well for you.

Like Russb said, you can make a wider pot support fot it. Tomorrow I'll be offering the burner portion only to include a cap that fits tight to retain any unused fuel. You can put the fuel into the burner and it won't leak out. Put the cap on it to prevent evaporation. There are guys over at backpackinglight.com that are doing wonders with just the burner portion. They are cutting up caldera cones to be shorter and using the starlyte burner as the heat source. The burner now holds 1.5 ounces of fuel.

A larger diameter pot support can easily be made from 1/2" hardware cloth purchased at your local hardware store. Make it 1" taller than the burner

Here is a photo of the burner and cap.

Tomorrow they'll be listed here: http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php

Images

Just ordered one of the new models without the pot stand. Going to snag some titanium foil and make a windscreen that uses Ti tent stakes as pot supports.

Images

Great, I sold out all I had but will have another hundred made by Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Just ordered one of the new models without the pot stand. Going to snag some titanium foil and make a windscreen that uses Ti tent stakes as pot supports.
    Hey mtnkngxt could you post your plans? I have been thinking of working on that same kind of system. What kind of pot?

Images

This is a quick mockup of the idea using an existing Ti foil windscreen I have. Will need to wait for starlyte to get here to determine where I need to pop the holes for the pot supports. Plan is to flip this wind screen back over and measure down up vertically from existing four holes the stakes are placed in and match them up at the correct height for good flame pattern on stove. This will work with my MLd 475, Hacked Backcountry 700, and my Traillite 550. The only weight added for my cook kit is the pot and Ti foil.
    20130112_200834.jpg20130112_200745.jpg20130112_200822.jpg

Excuse my grammar and spelling, I've been sampling microbrews.
    Last edited by mtnkngxt; 01-12-2013 at 21:22.

Thanks. Just had one of my home brewed Rye PA's myself.

Images

Here is how I used the StarLyte stove with modified burner with a cone windscreen and kmart grease pot.

Journal Entries

zelph I am interested in getting your modified Starlyte for my Caldara cone stove. I would like the ability to either easily snuff and recover the unused fuel or have it stored in stove without leaking or vaporizing away as I have not been happy about the standard caldara cone stove in that respect. Does your stove solve those issues?

Thanks
    Last edited by Starchild; 02-26-2013 at 10:58.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++