WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Images

It's not recommended you use a pot size larger than the 5 litre keg that you see used in the movie.

It is not recommended the StarLyte be used below minus -13 degrees below zero. I've tested it at that temperature in January up in St. Paul, MN. Used the burner to thaw out the grease in the door latches on my car. My daughter operated the camera as I did the thawing. Notice the wind whipping around the cars exhaust past the door. Wind had little effect on the burner. She directs the camera at the dash to show temperature gauge for outside air.

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Nice Zelph
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Images

sorry to ask this, but i see a bunch of people use heat antifreeze to fuel their stoves, but the bottle says (do not burn - harmful). so ***?

also, you don't worry about burning the fiberglass insulation you use for your 'wicks'? i mean, it's blown glass...

please don't read this as me picking, but i'm really interested in making one of these, but i've got some health concerns atm. reassure me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    sorry to ask this, but i see a bunch of people use heat antifreeze to fuel their stoves, but the bottle says (do not burn - harmful). so ***?
    It is harmful. Just don't use it to defuzz your fleece or for crotch rot or as a nasal decongestantant.

also, you don't worry about burning the fiberglass insulation you use for your 'wicks'? i mean, it's blown glass...
    It holds up fine. I've done hundreds and hundreds of burns with fiberglass cloth.

The Starlyte is a solid, consistent performer. One of the greats.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post

please don't read this as me picking, but i'm really interested in making one of these, but i've got some health concerns atm. reassure me!
    The fiberglass that's used in the StarLyte is not fiberglass insulation. It's fiberglass cloth. Here is a little information on it:

The glass fiber used to create fiberglass material is made by extruding very thin strands of silica-based monofilament. Glass is a unique amorphous solid, meaning it doesn’t have an underlying crystalline structure in the solid state, but rather behaves like a very viscous liquid. Glass fiber lends itself to woven fabric because the thin fibers can easily bend. Fabric made of glass fibers has high tensile strength, dimensional stability, high heat and fire resistance, as well as resistance to many chemical compounds. Fiberglass fabric is also used to dissipate heat, and has electrical properties that make it useful in electronic components.

Glass fibers and fiberglass cloth are commonly used in composite construction, including materials used in boat building. Light weight fiberglass cloth is used with a resin to produce a waterproof surface. Heavier woven fiberglass fabric can be used for greater strength and rigidity. Fiberglass cloth is differentiated into two separate grades: e glass or e-glass is a lower grade of cloth while s glass or s-glass cloth is used for applications that require greater strength.

190 proof grain alcohol can be used as your fuel of choice. It's dual purpose, use for medicinal and fuel.

Bplite website is not accepting new posts but is still open for browsing.

dzierzak guessed the correct answer to Mystery Tool for Week 25. He knew it was a a "Jar Opener" He has been sent an email notifier He wins a Fancee Feest stove.

Images

Yesterday, 06:46
    Mr. Underhill

Simmering?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll be ordering one of the stoves. Any possibilities of adapting it to provide some reduced flame to simmer?
    Good News Mr. Underhill about the StarLyte UltraLyte.

You can now simmer with it by putting it inside of a Fancy Feast or Friskies cat food can and also potted meat cans of the same size.

The combined weight of the simmer can and stove is 19 grams. ( .6702052770420278 Ounces )

I used an aluminum 3 cup pot for testing. It weighs 91 grams. ( 91 Grams = 3.2099305374118176 Ounces )

I was able to simmer 2 cups of water for 22 min. with 1/2 ounce of fuel. The temperature was held at 198 degrees with the lid on.

Last night I made quite a few tests to see how the simmer device works. Tests were consistantly positive. It's easy to pick up the stove once a boil is acheived and place it into the pot and return the pot of water to the stove. Use the simmer can to store the stove in for added protection

This method of simmering may work on alot of existing stoves. Give it a try.

This idea originated in a thread started by DarenN. He devised a means of simmering with the Fancee Feest stove. It's amazing how ideas can create new ideas. Thank You Daren!!!!

Will not work with Heineken Pots because of the indented bottom. The good news is DarenN is working on a remedy for the turbulence caused by the indented can bottom. It may also alow the simmer feature to work with it. We'll have to wait and see. Keep your toes crossed FD.
    Last edited by zelph; 04-25-2008 at 16:41. Reason: added text about Heiny pot.

Images

Default Poor Mr. Esbit is sad and lonely...

It broke Mr. Esbit's heart when he met the StarLyte.

Now he sits there and burns as he watches her

Guess I better put him away in my vintage stuff

Keep on Zelph! You're the greatest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    It broke Mr. Esbit's heart when he met the StarLyte.

Now he sits there and burns as he watches her

Guess I better put him away in my vintage stuff

Keep on Zelph! You're the greatest
    You can let him help out with the cooking and the dishes.

Here is one more improvement that all will like.

Final improvement to the StarLyte UltraLyte. I added a fuel port to fascilitate easier filling. Receives fuel faster than the Inversion Method. A stainless steel flame supressor screen covers the port hole.

Total stove weight= 13 grams, less than 1/2 ounce.

Has simmering capabilities, lights easily at -13 degrees. Fuel will not spill out if accidently tipped over. Have you ever had your pot of water put off center of your stove and cause the pot of water to go one way and the flaming stove go the other way and the leaking burning fuel scare you half to death? I have ops:

I now use the 'The Jess Lid' on my Heineken pot and use a Starlyte burner to heat it. (thanks IceAge for the lid tip)

My tests show that repeated (73 burn tests) heating and cooling of the wire potstand shows no signs of failure. I've been given verbal assurance that the wire will allow years of repeated trail use. A few have been sceptical of it strength and abilities but are finding that it does just fine.

I made this stove to be "First Class" just like the First Class person she was named after "StarLyte". She's such a Sweetie!!!!!

Hey, I am not a fan of alcohol stoves but I ran into a new beer this weekend in aluminium BOTTLES. These are from the Pittsburgh Brewing Co. and although I've had Iron City and I.C.Light in the alum. bottles, these are a different shape. I have 2 of them. I would be happy to send them to the first stove builder that requests them...see what you can do with them.

geek

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Nesting

"You can now simmer with it by putting it inside of a Fancy Feast or Friskies cat food can and also potted meat cans of the same size."
    Whoa: that's exactly what we did last week on the Ice Age Trail! I nested a Starlyte inside of a Fancee Feast and we got double the burn. The Fancee Feast protects the more delicate parts of the Starlyte and together we don't need extra "protection."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    "You can now simmer with it by putting it inside of a Fancy Feast or Friskies cat food can and also potted meat cans of the same size."
    Whoa: that's exactly what we did last week on the Ice Age Trail! I nested a Starlyte inside of a Fancee Feast and we got double the burn. The Fancee Feast protects the more delicate parts of the Starlyte and together we don't need extra "protection."
    That's great news. Having the two stoves gives you the ability to increase the cooking time when you use the FF and you can use the FF as a simmer device. 2 birds w/one stove

I'l have to try it to see how it simmers with the potsupport being higher than a regular fancy feast can.. Thanks mkmangold

Thanks for the offer jimadams!!!! I'm up to my ear lobes in containers to try. Maybe others are able to take you up on the offer. Thanks for thinking of us.

Another thing!!! A new improved version of the Starlyte is coming out this week. I'll post by end of week.
    Last edited by zelph; 06-03-2008 at 20:49. Reason: added jimadams text

Images

I've been testing the daylights out of this SS StarLyte

It's inspired by doodah man and DarenN.

It took me awhile to find the right stainless steel fabric that would not interfere with the evaporiztion of the alcohol. Fiberglass cloth is much less expensive than stainless steel but I opted to bite the bullet, spend the money and be done with it.

This stove is working so well I'm going to guarantee it for life.

The stainless steel fabric covers the fuel absorbing material on contact. Fuel is brought right up to the top of the fabric via capillary action.
    Filling the stove is as easy as any other open top stoves. The stainless steel fabric now allows intant filling. Use the lid of your fuel bottle or what ever you've been using to fill your stoves.

The stove still retains it's ability to absorb 1 ounce of fuel and render it safe from accidental spillage. I know that open top stoves without fuel absorbing capabillities can cause some unwanted excitement.

I'm not going to change this stove again, read my lips

No more improvements, I'm done, promise!!!!!

you promise!!!!!zelph.....
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    you promise!!!!!zelph.....
    I promise, scouts honor. Someone might think I'm trying to sell stoves. I'm not!!!! Just try ing to let you know there are alternatives to canister stoves and stoves with little bitty jets of flame

Every time I tune in, someone is thinking of buying a jetboil or pocket rocket.

Adding the stainless steel fabric is a major improvement to the stove and can't go any nor do I want to. I have to move on from here. I don't use this stove, the stove is for you hikers that want to minimize your load. The ones that are using the StarLyte don't talk about it because it's a well kept secret. They want the good stuff for themselves

Wood fuel rocks for me!!!!!!! alcohol is my backup, stoves are my hobby.

Images

I sure would like to see one of those with titanium mesh.....

Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I sure would like to see one of those with titanium mesh.....

Yikes!!!! only the rich and famous could afford them.

The entire stove made of titanium Hmmmm

I promised, no more changes

Images

Hi Zelph,
    I have ss mesh. Can I take my StarLyte stove apart and convert it without messing something up?
    Buying a Starlyte is like buying a computer. You like the one you have but, a better one keeps coming out.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Hi Zelph,
    I have ss mesh. Can I take my StarLyte stove apart and convert it without messing something up?
    Buying a Starlyte is like buying a computer. You like the one you have but, a better one keeps coming out.
    Once it's taken apart the top never seems to want to stay on again. JB weld would be needed to hold the top ring on.

I promise, no more changes. This last hardware improvement has maxed it out. I resisted this change in the past because of cost. I could create some software for an improvement. Call me GATES!!!!

Hey zelph im on the AT and id like to get one of those sweet stoves StarLyte UltraLytes stoves form my hike. I was haveing trubble finding some ware i could buy one from ya i dont have a lot of internet out here so if you could email me a phone nuber to talk to you c[email protected] thanks man TOZE

:banana

I got mine yesterday. This is THE coolest freaking little stove I've ever seen I tested it in the kitchen with cold tap water, using my Heinie pot & my AGG 3 cup pot. With both pots, using 1/2 oz of fuel, they boiled in under 7 minutes. And still burned for about 2 more minutes after that. If you've been needing an alcohol stove, look no further. This little thing is dynamite. Thanks Zelph!!!!!

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++